I'm very afraid.....almost frightened!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kacjac, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I know that that the cognitive issues have been discussed here, but I just had yo start my own post...sorry.
    I'm really getting concerned, I'm really afraid!
    I have found an opened can of corn, I never put in the pot for supper,laying out on the cabinet... I thought I had added two cans....
    I baked some cookies and forgot about them...luckily, the weren't burnt, when I suddenly remembered.
    I have remembered at the last minute, that I was suppose to pick up my son from high school, thank goodness, he's 18....
    I am forgetting most of my appts.(not all)even after writing them done, I sometimes forget I need gas, and drive home on a nearly empty tank, and I live out in the country, thank goodness, I will hear a "ding" noise, and my gas light comes on before it gets extremly low! I addressed Christmas cards, and some came back to me with no stamps....I addressed one and added the same address top & bottom, had to make out another one... I could go on & on....this is beginning to frighten me, I guess I should see and Neuro Doc....I dunno what to do!
    If anyone replies with just a comforting word or hug, I'll be grateful....TIA
    Karen
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

Everything you have done here I have done at one time or another over the past 13 yrs of CFS/FM. So if you're in trouble doing this stuff, so am I!

I had a few of my Christmas cards returned because I forgot the stamps - only on some of them. I usually have my husband double-check anything I mail because I am liable to put anything on the envelope.

All the CFS/FM people I know do the same things so I really do not think that it is anything to worry about. Have you ever put the milk away in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge? Have you ever spent an hour looking for your glasses and had someone tell you that you were wearing them?

I have just learned to laugh at it all. My organizer really helps me remember appointments. I make sure to record them in the organizer and on the kitchen calendar. That way there is a better chance of remembering.

My advice is not to worry about it but try to work around the problem, ie. tell your son what he is to do if you forget to pick him up, have a can of gas in the garage in case you forget, have someone check your mail before putting it in the mail box, set your timer whenever you put something on the stove or in the oven, etc.

I hope this helps.
    Pepper
  3. over50

over50 New Member

I thought I had locked myself in my car,I even called my daughter to come and help.So,that was embarrasing !!!
    Maybe when we overdo,and it sounds like you have been pretty busy and then add some stress,like Christmas,throw in worrying about finances,add a headache and pain.
    I know that makes me forget stuff.Just try not to be so hard on yourself.You are doing the best you can.We are all in this together, here is a hug and a prayer that God will bless you.
    Love,Linda
  4. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I really needed that hug today! I am doing almost everything you suggested, I told my son & husband, that they will not offend for reminders...I welcome them!
    I guess I just need to calm down, and make the best of everyday!
    I HATE FIBRO FOG!!!!!!!
    Hugz,Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2005]
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I am superbad, I even forget where I am going and why when I drive. My mother is hilarious, she lost her glassess once for several weeks. She later found them deep in the freezer. She have to go in the house several times when we leave to make sure she got her keys, turned off the stove, got the money, etc. I baked several times and was reminded by a burned stinch! This neurological stuff is really crazymaking. Please try to laugh at it at times, it will make it a little easier. It's not easy, I know.
  6. shep

shep New Member

All I can say is welcome to the club. I have done all those things and some more.
    I put groceries away and put the Clorox in the fridge and the milk in the laundry room. I loose stuff all the time. I forget appts. I make a list and loose the list.
    I put the wrong check in the wrong envelop and mail it to the wrong person.
    I just try to laugh about it...it is better than crying. But,it can get to you after a while.
    I find I do more of "these crazy things" when I am over tired and have overdone it and had very little sleep.
    I call people by the wrong name all the time. I call my dog the wrong name and she just sits and stares at me! I swear I can see a smile on her face...she thinks I am hilarious.
    Shep
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

I think with the added stress of the holidays this problem gets bigger.

Last week I misplaced my keys, my cell phone, my sunglasses, and my purse. ALL IN THE SAME DAY mind you. Thankfully not all at once! No, the torture was spread out over the entire day. Fortunately all items were located.

Then I go to pick up my daughter from track practice, and I drive this other girl home as well, her driveway is solid ice and I spin out, got stuck. Put car in 4 WD, still spinning, have to call my husband, says are you in 4WD, I said Yes. Long story short, he drives up to this girl's house. I didn't have the car in 4WD thought I did but no. Felt like a fool.

It gets better. Drove up to pick up child from sleepover party on Saturday morning. Went to the wrong house and sat there for 10 minutes, til I see her walking down the street with her sleeping bag etc. She just looked at me funny. She knows.

I have put empty milk carton back in the refrigerator, thrown important stuff away, drove off with cell phone on roof of car, left purse behind when going out to lunch, completely forgot child at band practice. I constantly run out of stuff I thought I bought enough of. On the other hand I might have 20 cans of peaches because I think I dont have any and I keep buying. I go to the store for one item and I come away with everything but that item. Its maddening for sure.

(((((Hugs))))))
    Michelle
  8. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

((((KAREN))))))

Can you believe that one day I was rushing out to something....can't remember now where I was going, but I was in such a hurry, when I went to the closet to get my coat, it was not in there, so I looked everywhere for it, getting more angry by the min...till I caught a reflection of myself in the hallway mirror and saw that I was wearing my coat!!!!!! Now tell me....how cooky is that? LOL

Hugs
    Sandy
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

I forgot to invite my dear Aunt and Uncle to my son's wedding and I think I hurt their feelings. His brother came without an invitation and I was so glad. We don't see them very much so it was an easy slip. I did not have their address and meant to get it from my Dad's cousin. I feel like showing them their name on the invitation list. I did invite an uncle who claims he never got the invitation!!
    My son's MIL had me come to their house to do invitations and the lighting was bad, , the chair was uncomfortable, she played bad music and I got a headache every time!
    It's a wonder I could remember anything.
  10. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

... but hate that we all seem to have to deal with this FOG!!!

Every day I do something stupid, but today's two biggies were:
    1 - Went to Wal-Mart (ugh, hate it anyway but doubly hate it during the holidays!) for ONE item that I couldn't find elsewhere, and -yep you guessed it- came out $100 later and never even got the one $5 item I went in there for!!!
    2 - Just made a pot of decaf, it sounded so nice and warm ... I just now poured a cup of coffee and proceeded to put the POT in the cabinet with the coffee cups!!! I wouldn't even have known it right away, except that my husband asked for a cup and when I went to get it for him, I couldn't find the POT!!! That one is a first for me.

SHEESH!!!!! :)

Happy holidays, dear friends, and don't stress over it too much. Remember, we're all in this together! (Thank goodness!)

Kat
  11. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

don't feel alone about the grocery over- or underbuying! Just a few months ago I had EIGHT tubs of butter in the fridge! Every time I went to the store I would suddenly "remember" (or so I thought!) that I was almost out of butter! I know better than to go without a list or worse, to buy what's not ON the list, but too many times I do. See what happens?!? I just had to laugh at your "20 cans of peaches" comment! My DH still teases me with "honey, aren't we about out of butter???" .... I'll never live that down around here!

Kat
  12. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

I buy them by the dozens now! If I don't put sticky notes up for everything I want to remember, I forget. They are always on my screen door window!

I also live by "lists" of things to do both at home and in town.

These are just some of the ways I have learned to live with the fog. You have to make adjustments because it seems our minds turn to mush!

Also, the advice to laugh at these things is good. That's all we can do and to realize that it goes with the territory, unfortunately.

Please, don't be frightened by it.
  13. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

As everyone else has mentioned above, this is a common (and scary!) feeling amongst us. I noticed these things even before I became "sick". I'm only in my 20s and my memory was so much worse than my 80-year-old grandfather.

I constantly would be driving and realize I had forgotten where I was going and was miles off course. I'd find yogurt in the cabinet and canned soup in the fridge. Everytime I leave the house I re-enter at least twice to be sure I turned everything off and had everything I needed. This is the kind of stuff my mom mentions happens to her during menopause, but NONE of my fellow 20-somethings can relate. Their minds are all sharp as tacks...they never burn their cookies :(.

GoAskAlice
  14. whoachief

whoachief New Member

I think most of us can probably relate to your situation. As a matter of fact my 15 year old daughter just said to me "Do you know why this magic marker is in the freezer?" LOL I have no clue but no doubt that I probably put it there!!! I have a planner that I write EVERYTHING in and I leave it open on the kitchen counter most of the time. I check it last thing before I go to bed at night & first thing every morning when I get up. It helps a lot!!! Good luck to you!!!
  15. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Some of these posts brought tears to my eyes,because I knew I was not alone....and some of them made me laugh too!
    I'm feeling a little better, and not so crazy, and sure not feeling alone now, thanks to you all!
    I thank each one of you for taking time to reply!
    :) Karen
  16. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I just can't say it enough!
    I'm glad I'm not alone!
    I will be thinking about all advice, already doing most of them!
    Gentle Hugz, everbody, Karen
  17. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I know how you feel. I sit and play card games with my kids and hubby and get confused easily they make fun of me at first I got really upset now I just laugh with them! I also have put stuff in cupboards that went in fridge etc, my dr says its not the fibro but the medicines but I was having this before and I told him so, hes been really good other wise, another reason besides the pain that I had to quit working.
  18. adirondackhoney

adirondackhoney New Member

call it fibrofog.
    it's why bf usually makes sure i'm
    with him not home alone.tho
    going all the time really wipes me out.
  19. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I think this memory problem is so unpredicatable.Sometimes I can be right on the money and then the next day be so off.Not sure why.I write alot of notes and put them on my kitchen cabinets when I need to be reminded of something really important.I walk around the house often trying to remember what was I doing and what was I looking for.My problem is I have so much to do I can't keep them organized in my brain in the brain fog doesn't help at all.If seeing a neuro. dr. makes you fell better then I would go in and have it checked out but honestly it is so much apart of FM that I really think you are ok neurologically.But sometimes you gotta know for sure.I hope that somehow I have helped,just knowing we have all been there I hope calms you down and gives you some peace.{{{Karen}}}}
    Sheila