I'm Walking Through Sand

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Mar 13, 2007.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Yesterday I felt well enough to take a half-hour brisk walk. Today I feel as though I were walking through sand. Deep beach sand. I feel as though I had lead weights attached to my arms and legs. Everything is heavy. Even my eyelids. Even my heart.

Now I'm going back to the sofa and wait and see if any of you know what I'm talking about. MsE
  2. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

Not sure if it's the same thing, but sometimes my legs feel so heavy, it's like I have to think hard about each step I take. I often talk to my legs, coach them or encourage them: "Comeon legs, you can do it, just 3 more steps." Or I get mad and yell at them, "You stupid legs...get moving there!" My kids think I'm crazy.

But seriously, I had, I think, one morning out of the last 11 years when I woke up and my legs didn't feel heavy like that. I got out of bed and thought "Wow! This is how normal people feel! They don't have to force their legs to move every step."

I'm very lucky, however, in that the feeling of heaviness in my legs tends to go away after I've been awake for a couple of hours, at least on most days. Otherwise I'd never make it through the day.
  3. raspberrykisses

raspberrykisses New Member

It's so hard to do anything when you feel like you are walking through sand. I've had days on and off like that for the last 5 or 6 years. I just thought I was extra tired of course I wasn't diagnosed with FM/CF until a couple of weeks ago so I thought that was normal.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

It usually eases up as the day goes by. I wonder why that happens? Some days, however, like today--it just doesn't go away and it is so darned irritating. I wanted to go outside again! I wanted to walk again! Instead, I sat at the dining room table and paid bills. I sat on the sofa and watched TV. I sat on my bed and read.

It really does feel like walking in beach sand on the Oregon Coast. That was a heck of a lot more fun.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

all too well. I used to describe it to doctors that I felt like Cinder Blocks were attached to my feet. That it took that amound of effort to move them. And the arms too.
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

Like we're getting more pull from gravity than is normal. I think I'll write a poem and title it "The Body Heavy."
  7. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Feels like my legs are encased in cement and I have to actually THINK about moving them. I wonder why this happens as well, and why somedays they move quite normal.
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

Thank you, Erik, for taking the time to post that interview. It's one I'll keep.
  9. MsE

MsE New Member

It's been a long, hard day. I'm glad it's over and I hate that I'm glad that it's over. On top of everything else, I've been fighting vertigo as well. Where has my optimism gone? Did I just write I'm glad this day is over? Yes, I did. Is that like wishing my life away? No. I'm not that far gone. It's just a bad day. Your messages have helped me through it. Thank you.