I'm wanting to start exercising but dont know which ones..help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I see the ones on TV and they look too hard. Is there a good FM exrcise tape out there? Any suggestions or help in this area?
    Thanks
    Carlacat

PS...Were snowed in here in West Virginia
  2. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

IMHO...WALKING is the best medicine. I guess if you're snowed in you would need a treadmill though. As far as indoor exercise, I would suggest just light stretching.
    Hope this helps, peace, Dena
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

Every night and morning I stretch out in the bed like a cat. If I cn get my arms over my head then I do if not I just put them up as far as I can that day. Then I stretch my body everyway I can. Arch my back, point my toes, then heels. Just pretend you are a cat. You are warm so it a good time and it get you going. It only take a couple minutes and it feels so good. (warning-this can be sexually arousing) I do the same thing befor going to sleep and really notice a difference in the am if I forget. All my ligiments and muscles feel as if they have lost their elasticity. Walking is the best. Start out 5 or 10 min. If you have a basement I do the laundry game. One piece at a time to the basement and then up again the same way. Have to lean over and stretch to pick up each piece. Each day it is a game to see if I can do it for one minute longer or carry one more more piece in the same amount of time. You could adapt this to your living situation. I'm goal oriented so this works for me. I also do some stretches that feel right and sensible. Just made them up but there are books in the libray and tapes out everywhere for the physically challenged.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

These flexes and stretches can help keep your muscles in good shape and they help with the pain. Mine can be done in bed even when I'm flaring. Many are similar to Yoga. I also do Tai Chi.

For aerobics, walking or swimming are good. I've found swimming is not as hard on the legs. I tried a little cycling, but it brought on a flare. I think I just tried it when I had too much else going on and will try again later.

Love, Mikie
  5. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

that "Stretching" is the best..Or atleast start with stretching and if you can handle more, then fine..
    Wishing you the best..........Donna
  6. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Hi there. I've just recently started excercising. My chiro sent me home with an original Pezzo exercise ball. I use that, plus I do gentle stretches, and I also belong to a health club where I have access to pool, cycling, and treadmills.
    Being sedentary is the worst thing you can do for yourself.

If you have back problems (like me), I can recommend a book to you. It's called "Backache, What exercises work, Breakthrough relief for the rest of your life". It's written by Dava Sobel & Arthur C. Klein. I think it's an excellent book.
  7. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Carlacat

I do a form of yoga that is gentle, stretching only. None of that pretzel stuff for me. It helps keep the muscles and tendons lubricated and mobile. I take lessons, but started out with a tape. It's called "Lilias yoga for beginners" and you can get it at Target. It has the slow, gentle yoga tha t we need with our painful muscles.
    Yoga is the only form of exercise that has helped me.
    I also try to walk when the weather permits, and that is helpful too. but nothing works like yoga to keep you stretched and moving.
    Good luck on your exercise.
    sue
  8. bamboo

bamboo New Member

my physical therapist provided me with a copy of a fibromyalgia stretching program created at the university of washington, which i use and like. she also recommended Sit and Be Fit, which someone else has mentioned in their reply. it is also on our local PBS station and i have found it to be just great. my pt says to start slowly and move forward at a slow pace if one has not been exercising. i would love to join the swimming programs here, but the water has been too cold in the pools for fms. it is my understanding that the arthritis foundation sells a video re. stretching that is popular. good luck and be gentle with yourself.