I'm wondering how many of us had a parent in the war or service?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

My dad went to Germany and was in the service. I just wonder how many of us had a dad or mom that may have served way back. I keep trying to think of things that we would all have in common to maybe get this DD.
    Carla
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

My dad went to Germany and was in the service. I just wonder how many of us had a dad or mom that may have served way back. I keep trying to think of things that we would all have in common to maybe get this DD.
    Carla
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

My dad was in the Marines and went to th Phillipines (sp?) while in the service.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

was in his mid 20's during WWI and the sole support of his mother, so he did not have to serve. By the time WWII rolled around he was too old, but I still hadn't been born. My half brothers both served in WWII, but I don't think that has anything to do with me and my illnesses since they were married and had kids of their own before I was born. So you can basically count me out.

And yes, I do have a strange family!
    Barbara
  5. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

My dad, before I was even thought of was drafted and sent among other places, Korea. This would have been in the late 60's. He has scars on his liver due to an unknown, but it has been brought up the time he served in Korea (chemicals, environmental, ???). Possible link, but may be a longshot.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2002]
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

served in the Canadian Navy in WW II at the illegal age of 16. He became ill on board and nearly died of pneumonia. He was never healthy after that - he had a lifelong struggle with severe asthma (from that pneumonia he was told) as well as many other health problems. He suffered so much during his life but lived to the unexpected age of 73.

My sisters and I all have terrible immune systems - one has lupus and celiac's among other things, the other has Sjoegrens disease and FM and I have CFS/FM. Our mom had a terrific immune system so we must have inherited this from our dad.

Don't know about any service connection though. Pepper
  7. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

was a Marine in Viet Nam. He was also a pilot. I don't know if any of his health problems have ever been related to mine, but he had his thyroid taken out and now I'm having thryoid problems, so who knows.

TeaBisqit
  8. roro

roro New Member

my dad was statined in japan during the korean war. He died of multiple myeloma, my mom has chronic leukemia, my sister and I both have hepatitis C. I have CFS. My brother died in an accident at 23, so dont know if he had anything.
  9. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

even thou some of our dads were in war and some not but were still in service. Just amkes ya think what kind of shots they had and what were in the shots they all got when they went in the service. My dad has the same symtoms as I do and I dont have to be a doc to tell him what he has but he turns to drinking and has never been DX. I talk to him about it and he says I'm to old 70 and its old age setting in. We try and figure this thing out on how we got it and with the gov, ya never know. They wouldnt admit it but look ay all the people who has this...There has to be a reason....I guess I'm in that DENIAL stage...
    Carla
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My dad served in WW II in all theatres (Europe, N. Africa, Far East) so, as an American, was certainly exposed to environments & diseases not from his part of the world. He's now 87, fairly recently got colon cancer (seems fine so far after 2 years); otherwise, puts me to shame-- I'm 46, and he has more energy & can walk farther than I can. I always tell him, he's my inspiration.

You pose an interesting question, tho, that somewhere, there might be some commonality in our histories between us all...
  11. kay

kay New Member

That our military was used for testing. My dad was in the Navy for 32 years. I have read on several sights were the gov. has and still experiments with us americans. My dad has asbestosis(lungs) I know it is hard to believe that the good ole gov. would do it to us but they have for years and they still are. I know, that it is very sad but it is also very scary. I will never get another flu shot. Thats only one for starters. LOL TO YOU ALL, Kay
  12. DebinMN

DebinMN New Member

Father was in Korean war-soldier. He suffers from depression and I think FM or CFS as well as severe forms of arthritis and swollen joints and unexplained rashes all over. He too, turned to booze and never looked back. Refuses to accept that depression is a problem that can be helped with meds, etc. He just goes through everyday "trying to keep his mind busy" and wallows in self-pity and drinks.
  13. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

step dad #1, we lived on Almogordo Air Force Base, New Mexico. Step Dad #2 we lived on Lemoore Naval Air Base, Ca.

I am 41, that was between ages of 3-10, 1963 -1970.

Jaci
  14. Darla5010

Darla5010 New Member

This is my first time here and am just looking thru the messages and came upon this and can answer also.
    My Dad was in WWII and was captured and a POW until the war ended in Germany. He came out with TB and was in a VA hosp for 9 months. That was before I and my 3 sisters were born.
    He is 77 now and had triple heart by-pass surgery 4 yrs ago. His lungs have been fine thru his life though.
    You present a real good question which I'm sure lots of us have asked ourselves many times..
    Dad doesn't talk about his time there, so I can only imagine the treatment, sickness, etc. there.
    Darla
  15. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

HE WAS IN KOREA AND PHILLIPINES WARS. HE WAS A TAILGUNNER AND WAS A DEMOLITION EXPERT (DISMANTLED BOMBS). WHO KNOWS WHAT HE HAD IN HIS SYSTEM BEFORE ALL US KIDS WERE BORN STARTING IN 1954 (ME). I KNOW HE WAS A WORKING ALCOHOLIC. USED TO GO INTO RAGES AND BEAT EVERYONE IN SIGHT. FINALLY, HE GOT CAUGHT, MORE THAN ONCE, AND TOLD HE HAD TO RESIGN OR GET A DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE. (DRIVING DRUNK THE WRONG WAY ON A ONE WAY)
    HE ENDED UP WITH HIS BRAINS BLOWN OUT IN 1992. HADN'T SEEN HIM SINCE 1965, ---HOLE!!!!, SO DIDN'T BOTHER ME.
    MOM SAID HE WASN'T THAT WAY TIL A WHILE IN SERVICE/WARS.
    SO, WHO KNOWS..........................
    BETTY IN VALENCIA, CA. (1 OF 5 KIDS)
    ALL OF US KIDS HAVE TROUBLE W/DEPRESSION, ETC...
  16. sybil

sybil New Member

was in the Royal Air Force in WW2.
    but it has absolutely nothing to do with my FMS as i wasn't born until 1954,

sybilxxx
  17. Elvira

Elvira New Member

My dad was in the Air Force and stationed in Okinawa in the VietNam war, but was in radio communications, not fighting. But, I was already born before he went. Don't know if he could have been in contact with something and brought it back with him or not. He has severe heart problems and is currently waiting for a transplant, but I think that's been his only health problem. (like that's not enough or something!) My mom has scleroderma and I've wondered if she has a bad gene that she passed on to me. Don't know if her disease has any bearing on mine or not.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I lived next to a milirary facility when I came down with the mycoplasma infection which triggered my FMS just as the Gulf War was starting. Coincidence? I think not.

Love, Mikie