I'm wondering if this is a common thing with..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by milnotgil, Mar 1, 2007.

1. milnotgil

milnotgil Guest

CFS & Fibro. I recently had knee surgery. And it seems like this surgery opened up something horrible in my body of pain, something that I had never experienced before! It was the worse pain, that would not go away. It has since calmed down but since I need to have surgery again soon, I am wondering if I can go thru this again. I had been taking 30 mg. of Morphine 3 times a day but that didn't seem to help anymore.
    My doctor has since changed my medication to Methadone. I didn't know this was prescribed for Chronic pain. It seems to be doing the job of taking the pain away. But I don't want to take it. I begged my doctor not to put me on this but he didn't seem to understand. I thought as a patient I had rights. I am so confused as to what to do, if I should continue with the Meth or try and get him to change my meds again. At this point, I wonder what else I could take that would help this pain?
    Has anyone ever taken this medication before for long term care, and did it help? I have only been taking this for about 10 days, but I am wondering what the long term effects would do. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated. Mellie
  2. pat460

pat460 New Member

Hello,

Not exactly sure why you don't want to take Methadone. Yes, it is prescribed for pain and it's long acting. My memory is lousy, but I think it's been about 3 years that I've been taking it. I have several things wrong with me(I'm sure you don't want to hear the details but none of them are drug addiction-which is what Methadone is often given for)and I'm in severe pain pretty much constantly. The Methadone has always helped until recently. I think my body has just gotten immune to it. I also take Norco for breakthrough pain.

If the Methadone helps your pain, I don't see it as being any worse for you than all of the other long acting pain meds out there. If I am having any side effects(other than mild sleepiness around 2pm each day) I am not aware of it.

Hope I've helped you some, pat460
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

My father broke his neck back in 2000. He was put on OxyContin and maxed out his dosage on that.

He was put into a rehabilitation hospital, and their drug of choice for pain and detox is methadone.

My father has been on methadone for 4-5 years approx. (not sure could be 3-4) and he has found it to be more effective than OxyContin.

It is long lasting. It is not just used for heroin addicts anymore....although some people are still ignorant and refuse to believe otherwise. It is a very effective opiate if used properly and under the supervision of a doctor.

My father is currently on the maximum dosage of 120 mgs a day. He is now looking into a pain pump.

I wouldnt be afraid...but at the same time if you dont feel right taking something than dont take it.

I just wanted to share my father's story with you just to show you that methadone is not just this horrible drug that the media plasters all over the place because this star and that star died from it. It is highly effective in the treatment of severe chronic pain.

Hope this helps.
    Hugs
    Steph
  4. milnotgil

milnotgil Guest

It has really helped me with the pain, even more then the Morphine. I couldn't even lift my arm to comb my hair or just any soft touch to it would cause the pain. My arm is now 100% better and pain levels have been almost impossible to believe I had suffered for so long!
    I had read & heard many things about star's going overboard with them, that I was really scared. My doctor told me that lot's of star mixed it with Heroin and that's why some OD.
    Yes, I will stick to it, if it is working fine, then I am going to continue with it. My doctor it good at monitoring me when I am on a narcotic.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer this question, it was really bothering me. ~*Mellie*~

5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Anytime.

Good Luck Mellie! You are very fortunate to find something that helps you so well so I didnt want you to be scared.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted!

Steph
  6. milnotgil

milnotgil Guest

I guess, after reading about people who OD on this med,it made me think twice about it. I was terrified. But after now taking it for 2 weeks, I have noticed that the results are much better then with the Morphine. I do get slightly sleepy with it, but as like any drug, they did tell me it would clear up in a few weeks.
    I also, have not been able to sleep much for over 4 years and this drug has made me sleep so much better. I am really surprised after taking dozens of sleeping pills thru out the years, and nothing ever worked. Now, I am sleeping about 3 to 4 hours a night.That is so rare, but oh so nice to get up refreshed and rested. I guess, I will continue to take them. Thanks for telling me about your Dad's injury. That was so sad for your dad. But I trust he got better from that? I know that this medication is not only used for for drug addicts, but for chronic pain too.I hope in the long run, it will continue to help me with my pain. As some drugs I have had to take only work for a few weeks and then I am in point A, again looking for something stronger. I would like to thank you, for taking this time to reply to my post. Thanks so much, ~*Mellie*~
  7. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Im so happy for you!

My father also does find that he does not need any sleep aids. He actually naps frequently during the day and still doesnt have problems going to bed at night. He does wake up off and on at night and he'll go watch some TV or something but for the most part he can sleep.

Unfortunatly for my Dad though, there is no hope for him getting any better in the future. I no longer live at home, so we dont have each other for support 24/7, but he is only a phone call away.

If you ever had any other questions you can always ask me.

Take care,
    Steph