I'm worried

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PrsJah, Jul 4, 2003.

1. PrsJah

PrsJah New Member

Well I was going to ask my doc but I guess this as good a place as any! My seven year old son Tru is very tall. I'm 5'6" and he comes up to my collar bones. Well sometimes he tells me his legs hurt him (that is one of my biggest complaints) and I tell him it's just growing pains. But I can't help but think in the back of my mind that he's got FM. Now we are talking about the sweetest kid in the world. He is so caring and good. I would just die if he started to suffer like me!!
    Jamie
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

It is very normal for your sons legs to hurt. My two daughters have been going through the same thing since they could speak. Growing pains hurt. From what their drs tell me, we adults could not handle growing or teething at our age - the pain is incredible. There are also other reasons his legs could hurt other than growing pains and FM. Talk to his dr and check it out. But do not get stressed out before you know ... it is bad for your health and the odds are that he is just fine.

Janine
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have read that during high rates of growth, it is possible for kids to experience "growing pains," but I would watch for other things too. Don't worry, though, it's not good for you.

Love, Mikie
  4. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I meant that adults w/out FM could not handle the pain children endure with growing pain and teething pain. (thats what the the kids pediatrician was saying)
    FM is a whole other pain indeed. In actuality it is thought that those of us with FM actually have a high pain tolerance but that our pain is so bad we hurt REALLY bad.
    I agreee, unless you have dealt with FM pain you cannot even begin to understand how HORRIBLE it really is.

Janine
    [This Message was Edited on 07/04/2003]
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

My son was a little older than yours (12 years old) is when he complained about growing pains. Took him to the doctor, he said it was some kind of arthritis that children get, but they out grow it, its caused by them growing too fast.

My son is a grown man now and is fine. The doctor was correct. He did not recommend any kind of pain pills, not even OTC's. He just told me to add Epson Salts to his bath water.

Be careful with Tylenol, it can cause serious liver problems, and Aspirin can cause internal bleeding if taken too often.

He will no doubt be fine, just like my son is. Its just one of those things with kids.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 07/04/2003]
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

and yes it did hurt, but not as bad as FM. In the book by Devin Starlanyl "Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain", she makes a comment about growing pains. She states:"Most adults who receive a diagnosis of fibromyalgia (FMS) and/or chronic myofascial pain (CMP) believe that their problems started fairly recently, but when they are questioned closely, they often remember childhood symptoms. Perhaps their first sign of FMS was difficulty sleeping. Their first trigger points (TrPs) could have been seen as growing pains. Fibromyalgia may have a genetic component, and both FMS and CMP have perpetuating factors that may run in families. If you have FMS, watch your children for possible signs. No one is helped by denial, and you may be able to save them a lot of pain & grief. You can give your children the tools to deal with the reality of these conditions, so that they can move through life as effortlessly as possible." She also goes on to say that juvenile FMS is common. She also says that many of them improved over two to three years. Also that trigger points can cause considerable pain in a rapidly growing child. They can often be treated effectively, rapidly, and relatively painlessly by using vapocoolant Spray & Stretch therapy, moist heat, and a continuing stretching program".

I don't know if you are familar with any of her books, but she is really good. She also has Fibromyalgia. This might be too much information, but just thought you might want to know what she has to say on the subject of growing pains.

Dara
  7. PrsJah

PrsJah New Member

and I expected him to tell me the knee bone. he told me he hurts behind the knee and he grabbed the ligaments. I'm going to slyly bring it up at my next doc visit. Couldn't hurt. he also has times where he walks funny..again...can be due to growing pains...ack!

[ advertisement ]