IMAGINE THIS!!!!!!!!!! A REAL DAILY EVENT FOR ME!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamela, Oct 23, 2002.

1. pamela

pamela New Member

Imagine having FMS and Myofascial Syndrome w/ degenerative bone disease from a major wreck.....(me). TOTAL MAJOR DAILY PAIN!!! Okay here goes...you have to get out of bed every morning at 4:30 a.m. w/ 4 hours sleep max. (To be able to sleep you have to take all kinds of stuff.) You have to take a hot bath, get dressed, eat and all that stuff... and be out the door by 6:30-6:45 a.m. (Still imagine the pain and fatigue!) Okay, you run out the door get in your STANDARD SHIFT GEAR type of car,(Ford Explorer)..HA..HA.. and drive off to work (by the way I live in the country). Okay, your driving on the highway ...a very busy one and darting through traffic in Austin, Tx., shifting the gears with major FMS pain and fatigue...not to mention headaches and all that. Still darting in the traffic...You arrive to work by 7:35-7:45. (Usually takes about an hour to arrive.) You work all day then get in your gear shift car and drive in the Austin traffic all the way home....like do it all over again. Well I don't know if it's funny or amazing but I have to laugh at me because it soooo amazing all I still try to do w/ all my pain and fatigue. I just thought I would give you all a funny. When I think about it I laugh!!! Oh I forgot...try to imagine to walking on a crooked built back together type foot and knee with metal in both areas. I look like thump drag walking down the hall. (SMILE) Pamela
  2. pamela

pamela New Member

Imagine having FMS and Myofascial Syndrome w/ degenerative bone disease from a major wreck.....(me). TOTAL MAJOR DAILY PAIN!!! Okay here goes...you have to get out of bed every morning at 4:30 a.m. w/ 4 hours sleep max. (To be able to sleep you have to take all kinds of stuff.) You have to take a hot bath, get dressed, eat and all that stuff... and be out the door by 6:30-6:45 a.m. (Still imagine the pain and fatigue!) Okay, you run out the door get in your STANDARD SHIFT GEAR type of car,(Ford Explorer)..HA..HA.. and drive off to work (by the way I live in the country). Okay, your driving on the highway ...a very busy one and darting through traffic in Austin, Tx., shifting the gears with major FMS pain and fatigue...not to mention headaches and all that. Still darting in the traffic...You arrive to work by 7:35-7:45. (Usually takes about an hour to arrive.) You work all day then get in your gear shift car and drive in the Austin traffic all the way home....like do it all over again. Well I don't know if it's funny or amazing but I have to laugh at me because it soooo amazing all I still try to do w/ all my pain and fatigue. I just thought I would give you all a funny. When I think about it I laugh!!! Oh I forgot...try to imagine to walking on a crooked built back together type foot and knee with metal in both areas. I look like thump drag walking down the hall. (SMILE) Pamela
  3. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

And inspiring. People around here have been feeling pretty down on themselves lately, and I am thinking your post will help.

It is so easy to focus on all the things we cannot do. I bet most of us, if we wrote down every task, no matter how small (ie-taking a bath), and looked at the list before bed, we'd be AMAZED to see how much we truly CAN get accomplished!

You are wonderful, and a dear!
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Thanks for making my day! I used to be just like you, only I had to leave home at the time you were getting up. I also drive a stick most of the time, but my commute was only 30 minutes, and all Interstate. I had to be at work by 5 AM. My body only recognizes one 3:30 per day, and the one it met while I was working was DEFINITELY NOT IT!! One thing that did help me was to lay out my uniform & undies the night before, and take my bath just before getting to bed. It helped me get to sleep faster, and was that much less to do in the morning when I hurt all over. Just something you might want to try.
    Kathryn
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

I dont know if I should laugh or cry at your saga. All of these things could be changed by some life style adjustments. If someone made you do these things you would rebel. This chosen life will do nothing but shorten any good life your body has left. A perfectly healthy person would suffer from this regeim. Please take a long look at what and why you are doing this to yourself. Get a different car, move closer, get a job closer. Do something to help yourself while you can. No body will tolerate that kind of abuse for long without rebelling big time. If you are driving in major traffic exhausted and in pain can you really say you are not a hazard. Being excessively fatigued while driving is no different than driving drunk. I fear for you and others on the road with you. I don't mean to come down on you but I wouldn't let someone leave my house and drive drunk and I cannot not say something to you either. I'v always been wayyyy tooooo responsible. It's a curse. Take care of yourself.
  6. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Have you EVER considered trying out for NASCAR? They just might be looking for someone with your abilities!!!! =)

((((((Hugs)))))))))
    Kathy
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You are one amazing lady! I would never get out of the bed, and as for that standard shift, wow I gave that thrill up a longtime ago!

Yes, it was funny and sad too. Don't have a clue how you manage to do all that!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. contessa

contessa New Member

You sound exactly like me, except after several months of 4 hours sleep I had a breakdown and haven't worked since March. At this point, don't think I'll ever hold down a 9-5 job. Everything in your post, except the leg surgery is exactly like me. Although I'm losing my optimism and boredom is setting in with the short winter days. The major breaker for me was when my boss took away my sales territory that I had doubled and gave it to someone else (there went my commission income) and gave me a -0- growth territory. I realized he was a total idiot and I wasn't going to put myself through any more pain for the company. My customers and myself had built wonderful relationships, both friends and business. I thrived on it, I still miss them, and I'm still adjusting to a long day without human contact. Hope you can keep going - I envy you.
  9. pamela

pamela New Member

THANKS FOR REPLYING...BUT I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE BUT TO WORK RIGHT NOW. MY JOB IS WAY TO GOOD TO TRY ASND FIND ANOTHER ONE. IT COMES W/ RETIREMENT AND GREAT INSUANCE AND THAT IS MAINLY WHY I'M STICKING TO IT. THE INSURANCE FOR MY ALIMENTS. YES I DO HURT WHEN I DRIVE TO WORK BUT THAT'S HOW IT IS. SOME DAYS IT'S NOT AS BAD. I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY TO IMAGINE SOMEONE LIKE ME DOING THIS. I REALLY DO WATCH OUT FOR OTHERS AND DRIVE AS DEFENSIVELY AS I CAN.
    I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER JOBS BUT THE ONLY ONES W/ INSURANCE ARE IN AUSTIN. PLUS, I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY, SO I DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE. BUT THANKS FOR YOUR NOTES. I WILL CONSIDER LISTENING. HUGS!!! PAMELA
  10. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i hope they finally have all that bridge construction near the airport cleared up, what a mess. it has been going on for years! can you find work closer to home, that is a long commute! do you live in hill country?
    warm regards, fibolady
  11. teach6

teach6 New Member

I also think that at some point your body is going to just shut down on you. Mine did. I always thought there was no way I could leave my job because I'm single and the insurance is good, plus the retirement.

I found that I could leave if I had to. It has meant a lot of changes for me. Luckily my job also had disability insurance, both short and long term. Without it I'm not sure what I would have done, but I believe I would have found a way, no matter what.

Since you are obviously good in sales have you ever thought of direct sales? That allows you to set your own limits and hours. In some companies there are no territories and the earnings potential is as high as you want it to be. You might be good at that. It is something to think about.

If I were you the first thing I'd do is trade that vehicle for an automatic. I can barely drive my daughter's manual transmission.

Good luck to you.

Barbara
  12. pamela

pamela New Member

yes I know what you are saying about my body shuting down, but there is NO OTHER PLACE around me to work close. I do not have a choice but to work, my husabnd and I get by pretty good when we both work. We are doing the best we can together. I have no family left except my mom and she can't afford to help either. I guess if it got to bad I will look else where but I really love my job and I really need the insurance. I'm all set w/ my doc.s and if I change jobs I will have to start all over again w/ new doc.s. I was just trying to make a funny, cuz I sit around sometimes and laugh at the way I must look and feel. I really do not have a choice but to keep this job. It is not a hard job other than working the pharmacy when I have to fill in. So I have to make the best of it. THanks again!!! Pamela
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2002]