Immune System Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spoonerpaws, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I recently went to an Allergist and was tested for allergies to grasss, trees, dust, molds and foods.

I was allergic to everything!

I asked the doctor if this meant that my immune system is not working. He said that it IS working, but working overtime.

If so, why do doctors try to treat Fibro/CFS by supporting the immune system, i.e. Vitamin C, Echineccia, Adrenal Support?
  2. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Echinacea stimulates the immune system, so if you have auto-antibodies it can make them work even harder against your body. Vitamins don't usually have the same effect on the immune system as certain herbs like echinacea do.

I was allergic to so many things, but while I took mega doses of Vitamin C, along with several other supplements, I managed to calm down my immune system. I did this by getting on a good thyroid medication as well as incorporating Quercitin into my protocol. I had to take enough Quercitin to make my hives/itching go away (determining the dosage is an individualized thing). Eventually, my eosinophils dropped considerably, and I was able to lessen my amount of Quercitin, without returning to my former level of irritation.

One of my favorite books is "The Immune System Cure," (don't let the name scare you...its not really a cure). I refer to it many times a month and it goes into great detail on the immune system and allergies.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  3. lucky

lucky New Member

In our tonight's news report there was a big announcement that the latest research on enchineccia has proven that it has absolutely no effect strengthing the immune system and how disappointing it must be for millions of people who believed that they benefited from it.
    And I believe it after my doctor told me this many years ago.
    Lucky
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Seems that our immune systems overreact to some things and underreact to others.

Love, Mikie