Importance Of A Healthy Gut

Discussion in 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have been taking probiotics for decades and believe them to be essential to good health. PBS is hosting a program by Dr. David Perlmutter in which he stresses the importance of the good bacteria in the gut. He stresses that an out-of-balance gut can lead to inflammatory, immune and autoimmune diseases, among other conditions.

ProHealth sells probiotics in the Store here. I take their Pro-Dophilus probiotic. Please check out the probiotics here because there is a lot of info given for each supplement offered.

If we do nothing else to help heal, we should start with a healthy gut.

Love, Mikie
    Nanie46 likes this.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I totally agree, Mikie. Gut dysbiosis and leaky gut are at the root of chronic health problems.

Since much of our immune system is in our gut, we must heal our gut to heal ourselves from chronic illness.

I take the Probiotic Extreme 50 Billion, https://www.prohealth.com/shop/product.cfm/product__code/PH480, and the Saccharomyces Boulardii, https://www.prohealth.com/shop/product.cfm/product__code/N0627 , which is an important probiotic for helping prevent C. Diff infection for anyone taking antibiotics.

I don't think Dr Perlmutter's program is going to air in my area, but I'm sure it will be worth watching.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Nanie,

Thanks for all this good info. Dr. Perlmutter lives in Naples, FL, just down the coast from where I live. He has some amazing stories to tell about helping, even curing, some patients just through diet and probiotics. One of the PBS stations is connected to our Florida Gulf State University and I don't know which programs they both air. Some of the donations support both PBS and the university. They are having an "Antique Roadshow" at the university but it isn't being taped for later showing. I'd go but the price of entry is a bit steep. Same for tickets to see Ethan Bortnik, a young music prodigy whose program was aired on the university/PBS station.

Dr. Perlmutter has written a book but I don't know whether it's for sale, other than through PBS. It likely is; however, his message is to take the probiotics and cut out gluten and most carbs. The rest is stories of his patients and recipes.

Again, thanks--you always have great info.

Love, Mikie
    Nanie46 likes this.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Thanks for sharing about all of that, Mikie. It does sound like it would be fun to attend.

Dr Perlmutter's books are for sale and are quite popular. He wrote "Grain Brain" "Grain Brain Cookbook" and "Brain Maker". I follow his posts, blogs, etc on facebook.

Here is his website where he posts great information on his blog.

http://www.drperlmutter.com/
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks again, Nanie,

It is the "Brain Maker" book which was a gift with pledge. I haven't read "Grain Brain" but have read "Wheat Belly." Can't remember who wrote it but the message these days seems to all center around gluten and carbs. Just adding probiotics is such an important step in healing. By itself, adding the probiotics may not cure us of what ails us but it may be critical in getting us healthier so other treatments have a chance to work.

Love, Mikie
    Nanie46 likes this.
  7. no one has mentioned Kombuca has helped my digestion a lot, but it's costly
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thankis, Goldenjumpshot,

Appreciate your info.

Love, Mikie