IMPORTANT--EVERYONE PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have a lot of new members and I am asking everyone to read the rules before posting here. We are not allowed to post URL's, and yet every day, I have to spend time editing posts to remove them. A lot of times it's because people do not know about this rule, but every time one uses a new website, it is incumbant upon that person to read the rules.

I just banned someone who posted a website URL over and over and over again. I have been removing them from posts, but if this continues, I will start to remove complete posts. I do not want to have to even be involved in this as it wastes my time and ultimately deprives our members of info they might otherwise have benefitted from; however, I simply do not have the time to edit post after post after post. As a moderator, it is my job to enforce the rules.

If one gives enough information about a website, most of us can find it using a search engine. If someone has a website of such importance, such as one where we can sign petitions for advocacy for our illnesses, that he or she feels it would benefit our members to post it, please contact the webmaster by clicking at the bottom of the page to e-mail him. This does not include e-mails to talk-show hosts or other celebrities. Please know that our webmaster is very, very busy and cannot entertain a lot of requests. Something like this kind of request needs to be for an exceptional cause.

Thank you for your compliance and understanding. Please do not use this as an opportunity to post your displeasure over this rule. It's been done before and this rule is not up for discussion.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I need to keep this at the top for a while so all will have a chance to read it.

Love, Mikie
  3. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

in the **** to have to remove url's, but, quite honestly, this is THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD I've ever been on (and I go on A LOT) that prohibit's their use.

There's no kind way for me to say how I feel about this rule.;-)

What is the problem with wanting to help people out?

If PH is worried about sales, why don't they just prohibit the posting of other supplement url's?

Thank you for your answer in advance!I'm really curious!
    ~B~
  4. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I want to say thanks for taking the time to let the new posters know the rules. It is very kind of you rather then just deleting them and them getting upset. we all have lives and I am sure that it is very difficult trying to monitor everything here. For those of us who have been here for some time do know and as I said it is very kind of you to post this to us as a reminder. And i do hope people do not give you too much guff.
    Take care Mikie and god bless.
    Joannie
  5. healing

healing New Member

I too have wondered why no URLs. I guess I'm not so bright because I didn't figure out the sales issue. If that is the case, why not state it right up front? People usually have a lot easier time obeying rules they understand. And that little piece of information makes it logical and acceptable.

We all appreciate the support you give us, the caring tone of your responses, and the information you share. You do us all a great service. Thank you.
  6. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Sorry mikie, just realised I posted a URL recently, (just had to ask my daughter what it means) so i`m not so bright.

Hadn`t considered the sales issue, but quite honestly I think most people like this board so much that their loyalty lies here anyway. Myself, i`d read the info and then see if this site supplies it.

Living in England, I cannot buy from the States as it`s all in $ (or am I wrong?)

Sorry Stella too, I think my post instigated another website to try advertising by replying to my post.

Pat.
  7. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hello Mikie
    Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all your hard work. Although we don't often say so I know that everyone appreciates the job you do for us. I hope I haven't been guilty of this infraction, I am pretty sure I haven't. I am hoping that all the newbies will see this and comply. Thanks again for being such a great moderator.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Nink pretty much said it all. I simply do not have the time to go to every website to see if it contains offensive material or is a competitor for ProHealth. Please understand that I do not make the rules; I only enforce them and I try to do it with as much gentleness as possible.

I do understand why ProHealth wants to maintain control over what is presented here. There is no way to control what is presented on other websites. In the past, we have had some pretty nasty people who formed their own websites, trying to destroy what ProHealth has worked so hard to build for us.

For anyone who doesn't know, ProHealth was founded by a very generous man with CFIDS. It is not only a way for him to make a living, but it provides supplements of the highest quality at the best prices, supplements designed to address our problems. It also provides jobs for the employees at ProHealth; Shirl and I are not employees. We are volunteer moderators who were recruited to do this and we do it out of a desire to ensure that this website stays the best place it can be for our members.

What many do not realize is that up to half of the profits from ProHealth products go toward the advocacy for, and research into, our illnesses. I have never, ever heard of any other company being this generous. Most companies who are generous give from .5 to 2 percent to good works.

We have had people in the past try to argue against this rule and they have not been successful. That is why I have said it isn't up for discussion. Remember that we can mention website names; we just cannot provide URL's here.

Again, thanks for your consideration.

Love, Mikie
  9. Debbi

Debbi New Member

Speaking as a Newbie, I appreciate what you and ProHealth are trying to do - if I need a URL, I can search - I appreciate being able to come on here and not be bombarded with ads, and freaky things that I don't want to have to deal with.......You guys are much appreciated Deb
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sorry I have not been here in awhile, Mikie you have been really carrying a heavy burden alone here, but I am almost back now, just a couple of more days and I can be here full time again.

Good post Mikie, lets keep it at the top of the page.

Shalom, Shirl
  11. nje

nje New Member

CALL ME DUMB,IF YOU WILL,BUT I JUST DON`T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS BUT BY READING ALL THE REPLIES YOU GOT,IT MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH, NOT GIVING OUT INFORMATION ON ANYTHING ON THIS WEBSITE,OR POSTING ANOTHER WEBSITES PRODUCTS? AM I WARM? IF IT ISN`T THAT,THEN LET ME KNOW,I DON`T WANT TO BREAK RULES,I LOVE THIS WEBSITE,ITS A LIFESAVER,AND I`VE MADE SEVERAL FRIENDS WHO I E-MAIL, AND THEY E-MAIL ME BACK.I DON1`T HAVE MUCH OF A MEMORY ANYMORE,BUT I REALLY DON`T THINK I`VE EVER DONE THAT ON HERE. I COME HERE TO GET FEEDBACK FROM OTHER SUFFERS LIKE MYSELF,IF I SEE A TITLE THAT CATCHES MY EYE OR I THINK I MIGHT CAN HELP THEM,THEN THATS ALL I DO. BYE FOR NOW,AND THANKS FOR THE WARNING. NJE JEAN
  12. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

It was last fall when I became interested in this wonderful site,often the breaking of the may seem fun, but in the end it breaks down the integrity if the pupose. We are very problematic in a lot of our illness, and some are serious

We can have fun in the chat room, the new people especially need to know the vital information that is here and with us. I'm sure it is a thankless job to monitor a web site, and we should make it as uncomplicated as possibie .

Lets show them that we ccare...
    1maqt
  13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

and if it's a tidbit of information
    not related to a brand name it seems to be all right to cc&p it to this
    board. I hope I'm right, though I've
    only done THAT once I think.

I know I really enjoy Mikie's postings. I am very interested in how
    your treatments will come out in the
    long run for one thing, but you have
    given us all lots of good information in general. It's also very good of
    you to donate your time. I'm sure it
    has it's moments, like with this URL
    thing, but I imagine you get some
    enjoyment out of it also or you couldn't do such a good job!
    Hugs, Bambi
  14. sugar_crystal

sugar_crystal New Member

Dear Mikie,

I almost forgot. (my brain is like Swiss cheese sometimes.) The point of my letter was that I have learned so much about myself from this website and all of the wonderful people who respond. When I do research, normally it is for someone else and it is not as personal. Youall have opened my eyes to be able to see within myself the problems of having an autoimmune disorder when I was evidently in such a state of denial that I could probably have given a lecture on the topic but couldn't apply it to what was happening to my own body.

I fully understand the commercial conflict of interest that could arise if the wrong information is disseminated. The integrity of this website is such that it would be a shame if it became the new "billboards along side the road". That's what I call the "pop ups" and all the other nonsense you have to wade through to be able to read a website.

Now the younger members won't remember the days of the roadside billboards as well as all of the litter and what an eyesore they became or Lady Bird Johnson, the First Lady and wife of LBJ who took on the task to clean up the countryside of this beautiful nation.

Thank you again, Mikie, for all your hard work...your task must seem overwhelming at times, but it has given me a haven that even I can overcome my shyness enough to speak in,

Crystal
  15. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Aren't you glad that rule wasn't in effect when you first came here? I remember giving you a URL to a website about Microplasms, you even Thanked me for it. It as you know is not in competion with this website, and I Truly would never give out one or even hint at where to find one that was in direct competion with this site.
    I don't use Supplements. as you know, not because I don't believe in them, I see the good results my DIL and SIL get from their use, my SIL is probably 63yr's old and looks in her 50's, and she's a devout Health Nut as I call her, lovinly I might add.

If I could I would use this site's products, becasue I do read labels, and from what I read, their Products are made a lot more carefully than some Co's. I also give out the Phamplets they so kindly gave us.
    What should be pointed out is that there are some very good links, just off this site's Home Page, and tons of information here also, we sometimes forget to mention that. I call them the Purple Banner File in my document files, lol.

Hi Shirl, hope your Back soon, your missed for sure. ;o)

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  16. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

Hi Mikie, BUMPING and certainly understandable. Anyone who doesn't comply should be banned, i totally agree. ((((((((((Gentle Hugs))))))))))))) Reg
    [This Message was Edited on 02/17/2003]