Important Info On Diabetes and Prediabetes

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Mikie, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Members,

There has been some great discussion on sugar issues over on the Chit Chat Forum. Because, it turns out, sugar issues seem to be an epidemic, affecting almost all of us, I am pasting and copying it here. I think everyone could profit from learning about sugar and how it is affecting us, not just diabetics but all of us.
    BTW, the book we are referring to is "Diabetes Without Drugs" by Suzy Cohen.

Love, Mikie

Diabetes and the Glycemic Index
    Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Windytalker, Saturday at 5:43 AM.

Watch ThreadSelected posts: 0
    Go to First Unread
    1. [​IMG]
      WindytalkerMember
      Decided to catch up on what's happening here on PH and there's a lot of chatter about Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes. Thought those of you with this problem and wanted to perhaps offer some help.

The link below explains the difference between "Glycemic Load" (GL) and "Glycemic Index" (GI). It still can be confusing and some of the other sites mainly go by the GI...which is mainly what I use. I had originally found this site when I was trying to eat the Atkins' plan which was too restricted for me. This was very helpful (and still is). There's an extensive list of foods and their GI (but it leans towards British foods yet it's still helpful).

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
      This website is from the Harvard Medical School. It's list is fairly limited, but is useful when you want to determine the food's impact quickly. It also shows GL and GI.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods
      Another "quick list":

http://www.lowglycemicload.com/glycemic_table.html
      I found this site and have no clue how it works, but perhaps you may find it helpful.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php
      Since drinking even 1/2 glass of wine affects me (I get reactive hypoglycemia), I always have food with it. But, I've now read, it has little to no impact on blood sugar (unless it's mixed with something else). Here's some info on alcoholic beverages. Please note, however, alcoholic beverages are high in calories and not recommended for people with diabetes.

http://www.whathealth.com/glycemicindex/alcohol.html
      http://www.glycemic-index.org/alcohol-glycemic-index.html
      http://www.glycemicindex.ca/alcohol-and-the-glycemic-index.html
      I wish you all good health!

Warm hugs,
      Windy

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Evidently, this pasted material is too large to copy into a new thread. Please check the top of the Chit Chat Forum for more info.

Love, Mikie
  3. Billoy Joe

Billoy Joe Member

Great sharing here. Though it's too long. But i'll keep this in mind. This will help my mother to keep control diabetics.
  4. Alfachemistry

Alfachemistry Member

If you have prediabetes, two of the most important things you can do to avoid diabetes are change your diet such as gaining nutritional alfachemistry and increase your exercise. In a study published in 2002 by the Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, people with prediabetes slashed their risk of diabetes by more than half if they lowered the fat and calories in their diet, boosted exercise, and lost weight.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, diet and exercise are the primary ways one can improve health and try to avoid diabetes. When it comes to fats, we have been grossly misled. For years, we were told to eat low-fat diets. It's not the fat so much as the sugar. In fact, we need healthy fat in our diets. The fats to avoid are the saturated and hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated fats. These, when combined with sugar, are especially dangerous. Check the labels on commercial bakery products and you will find almost all of them contain these fats in addition to sugar.

Fortunately, progressive doctors are starting to spread the message about good diet and exercise. Sunflower and Windytalker have been wonderful in sharing with me regarding this info. Thank you both.

Love, Mikie
  6. Chloehxl

Chloehxl Member

Clearly, it's common that diabetes could occur because of the cells of the body not responding properly to the insulin produced. And in terms of the symptoms, frequent urination and increased hunger could be the main ones. Actually, the process might be sort of difficult, namely a troubled period. If treated in a proper way, the disease can be controlled to a certain degree, with Glucagon of Creative Peptides; while if not so, then diabetes can cause a wide range of complications as well, such as diabetic ketoacidosis, cardiovascular disease, damage to the eyes, and so on. All of these complications should be payed more attention because only in this way can such disease be improved better.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The cells of the body not responding to insulin is called, Insulin Resistance. It is a precursor to Type II Diabetes. It is caused by the same thing as full-blown TIID--eating too much sugar. Insulin Resistance is a warning to change one's diet and lifestyle. Complications are, indeed, the most alarming issue with these conditions. By the time the complications set in, it can be very difficult to control. That is why some of our members decided to take control and to share what we have learned. This, and the obesity in our country, are at epidemic levels. Thankfully, more and more health care professionals are becoming informed about the roles diet and lifestyle play in our health and passing this info on to their patients.

PBS recently had their fundraising programming on and a lot of it had to do with healthy diet and lifestyle changes by doctors and other healthcare professionals.

Love, Mikie
  8. juliedespino

juliedespino Member

its very nice information.
  9. ludhiyaparker

ludhiyaparker Member

does improper sleep cause diabetes ?
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have never heard this but not getting enough sleep can put one at risk for a lot of things. Type II Diabetes usually starts with insulin resistance in which one eats carbs and the body produces insulin to keep blood sugar in check. If one eats too many carbs, the body must produce more insulin. Unfortunately, the body can become resistant to the insulin, causing the pancreas to produce more and more of it. The cause of a lot of TTD can be eating too much sugar and a tendency toward insulin resistance. Exercise and good diet are essential to prevent TTD.

Read the book, "Diabetes Without Drugs" by Suzy Cohen. It tells you everything you ever wanted to know about it. If you have sleep problems, your doc an order a sleep test. I had one when I first got sick with FMS and it revealed a lot. I was able to get treatment and my sleep improved which, in turn, improved my overall health. Do you have sleep issues? If so, I wish you luck in getting help.

Love, Mikie