Important question!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by seireiofhope, Jul 26, 2011.

1. seireiofhope

seireiofhope New Member

Okay, so, I am in a relationship of 1 year, and I have fibro. It's gotten serious enough in the past few months (3 or 4, can't remember) that I have been unable to work, and am stuck in bed or on the couch all day. I want to have sex with my boyfriend (we haven't yet) but I am worried about birth control. With the estrogen ones, the risk of blood clots is there and it is higher because I am on bed rest, pretty much all day everyday. I am 20, don't smoke, try to eat well and work out when ever I can (which hasn't been often lately.) Do you guys have a suggestion for what you use? Neither of us are in the right place for me to get pregnant, so this is important and I don't really have anyone else to ask. Help?
  2. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

First, I applaud you for being responsible about birth control! You may want to see your gynecologist to get some help making a decision on what kind of birth control you should use.
    You could also go to Planned Parenthood for education on the best method. I took my own daughter there when she became sexually active and it was a very positive and educational experience for both of us.

You could look into the diaphram. It has been around forever & does not have any side effects. It is also more cost-effective.

Blood clots are nothing to mess around with. My son developed a life-threatening clot after being laid up from an accident. (I don't mean to scare you, but they are are serious)

Good luck to you and hugs!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's also safe sex. Regardless of how careful people have been, it's important to use condoms to help ensure there are no STD's. Many of them have no apparent symptoms. One cannot depend on them for birth control. I suggest you discuss this with your doc. Good luck and good for you for being so responsible.

Love, Mikie
  4. seireiofhope

seireiofhope New Member

I am hoping to go into a free birth control clinic on saturday, so hopefully they can help me decide on what is best. I am still young and in fairly good health, I don't smoke or drink, and I try to be as active as I can be, so hopefully the risk isn't too big for blood clots, because I know they are serious.
    We are still going to use condoms, trust me. I am a virgin and he has only been with 2 people and they were both virgins, so we are fairly sure he is clean. Can't be too safe these days, though. Thank you for the advice!
    <333 you all
  5. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

You can get an IUD (intrauterine device). Many doctors will do this for women nowadays whether they've been pregnant or not. The copper IUD is hormone free, lasts 10 years, and is about 99.5 % effective. The mirena IUD has progesterone (no estrogen), lasts 5 years, and is about 99.9 % effective. That is just one option for ya =)