Improving with overdoing it -- how can that be?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Oct 31, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Okay, now I'm TOTALLY confused! -- what do you make of this: Right now I'm having to move house (which I've been dreading due to the Fibro) and I'm working an 8-hour day then coming home to work on the house (which often involves carrying heavy furniture etc). I often don't finish until 3-4am, then collapse into bed for 4-5 hrs sleep then up for work again. Now I was just DREADING the relapse that I thought all this would provoke, but I'm amazed to find that I'm actually feeling *better* since I started!! How can that be? I've got less fatigue, less fibrofog, more muscle stamina, less cramping and aching and almost NO pain right now (except in those trigger points). Almost all symptoms have improved, except for my legs, which continue to ache and cramp terribly while walking (not at rest).
    Is it possibly because I'm so exhausted by the time I go to bed that I'm actually getting deep/restorative sleep? And does all this tie in with a d/x of Fibro. What do you all think?
    (I should add that I've been taking supplements of Potassium and Magnesium too, though I was doing that prior to all the heavy exercise, without significant improvement. And I *do* still find that I have a low-level buzzing feeling in my legs after exertion.)
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Okay, now I'm TOTALLY confused! -- what do you make of this: Right now I'm having to move house (which I've been dreading due to the Fibro) and I'm working an 8-hour day then coming home to work on the house (which often involves carrying heavy furniture etc). I often don't finish until 3-4am, then collapse into bed for 4-5 hrs sleep then up for work again. Now I was just DREADING the relapse that I thought all this would provoke, but I'm amazed to find that I'm actually feeling *better* since I started!! How can that be? I've got less fatigue, less fibrofog, more muscle stamina, less cramping and aching and almost NO pain right now (except in those trigger points). Almost all symptoms have improved, except for my legs, which continue to ache and cramp terribly while walking (not at rest).
    Is it possibly because I'm so exhausted by the time I go to bed that I'm actually getting deep/restorative sleep? And does all this tie in with a d/x of Fibro. What do you all think?
    (I should add that I've been taking supplements of Potassium and Magnesium too, though I was doing that prior to all the heavy exercise, without significant improvement. And I *do* still find that I have a low-level buzzing feeling in my legs after exertion.)
  3. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

Hi- everytime I overdo it, I am setting myself up for a flare. I sometimes get these manic bursts of energy right before the flares. I've learned to slow down, because no matter how great I feel at the moment, I surely do not want to pay for it later. Be gentle with yourself , please.
    warm regards.
  4. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

Do what makes you feel better. I too have a habit of over doing it with the same results. There is for me a fine line between pushing myself and pushing myself too much. You will find out what your limit is and go with it. I exercise everyday and feel so much better afterwards. I do also still have trigger point soreness, but the way i feel makes it all worth. Im happy for you and your body..lol hopefully you will continue to feel better.....queenbee69
  5. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I have often thought that the best name for our disorders is "Delayed Reaction Syndrome".
  6. LynneH

LynneH New Member

I like the "delayed reaction syndrome." I am taking a break at work right now and just had to jump in on this post. I have had to work more than usual because a co- worker was absent and I was tired, but coping okay. I had a few days off and just kept going. By the time this Monday rolled around, I am in the flare from He##. It's the worst one I have ever had. I will always try to keep active, but now I know that I can not be the superwoman I've always tried to be. Moderation is the key word. Too much idleness makes us worse, as does doing too much. The trick is to find the balance.
    Also, as for that sleep deprivation study...the subjects began to exhibit "Symptoms" of Fibromyalgia...they didn't actually get it. This syndrome entails so much more than just aches and pains and fogginess.
    LynneH
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You are getting plenty of exercise with all this moving and that always helps FMS, as long as you don't overdo. If you overdo, you may indeed be in for a delayed reaction once it is all over with. Look in the library here for an article by Stephen Yue, M.D. where he explains why FMS is dysautonomia with denervation of organs (the delayed reaction part). I have found that when I do outside work like gardening, I feel better. Any work where I change position and stop for breaks is better than continually repeating the same movements. I hope you don't crash when it's done and I hope you enjoy your new place.
    Klutzo
  8. TeddiAnn

TeddiAnn New Member

Dear Marcus1243, For the last four years my Chronic Fatigue has come in cycles. It starts between the middle of August and the end of September. It gets worse and by November I am often a basket case and barely able to function at all. It takes from Sunday to the next Friday to recover from just one trip to the market on the weekend. Without going int the all details the CFSIDS starts to wane around March and is usually gone by the end of April. Once the weather starts to get warmer and prettier I am renewed with energy and do a hell of a lot. Somewhere, somehow my brain got programmed into this cycle thing. You might be experiencing something like that. I am on special vitamins and minerals and herbal meds and although they help they still can't stop the cycle from returning. At least I know when to be active and when to be quiet.