In A Bad Flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm better today but I just wanted y'all to know that it is still possible to suffer severe pain even when one considers one's FMS symptoms reversed by the Guai treatment.

Fri., after I stopped in at the store to get my new schedule, I went on to Target to pick up a few things. I noticed extreme weakness as I loaded light weight bags into my car. By the time I got home, I was in horrible pain. I ended up having to take Vicodin to stop the runaway pain. Also, because I had to work on Sat.

I slept fitfully and felt really sick. My lymph nodes were swollen. My guess is that I may have come into contact with someone with shingles. There is something about shingles which makes me very sick and sets my immune system on full alert. I've been taking my Acyclovir and it is helping.

I feel better but not well today. I have to work for four hours and I'm sure it will be OK. My purpose is to let people know that we never seem to be completely well enough to avoid the occassional flare. For me, it seems to be when I'm exposed to someone who is ill. The good news is that I seem to recover from the acute phase of the flares faster but they still leave me very tired.

Not trying to discourage anyone but I think it's good to be realistic about our illnesses. Of course, we all react differently. For me, having the Acyclovir around is a God send.

Love, Mikie
  2. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

I'm sorry to hear that you're in a flare. I hope that it ends soon and that you won't be in pain for long and that the fatigue subsides as quickly as possible.

I know that you've fought this for a long time, and you are an inspiration to me. I'll send up a prayer that you will feel better soon.

3. I hope you feel better soon Mikie!
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

So sorry you are having a bad flare again! Take good care of yourself. My prayers are with you that it goes away very soon and that you are restored to good health.

Love, Erika
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

Many of us are particularly prone to relapses when we come into contact with anything that stimulates an immune response. I always know when it's a virus because the Sx are more marked and take longer to settle down.

Take care and rest well.

tc, Tansy
  6. coolma

coolma New Member

Sorry to hear about your flare. Yes, I understand completely. Just when you get rolling, wham, you get knocked back. The secret is treat it, rest and then get back into a controlled lifestyle with this darned FM.
    By the way, what is Acyclovir. I am looking for something to boost my immune system. Is that helpful?
    Hope you are feeling better.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate your kind words of encouragement. This thing is just sooooo strange.

I worked yesterday and made it through OK. Today, on the way to work, my right eye started to hurt so bad and water like crazy. When I got to the store, I bought some contact lens solution, took my contact out, cleaned it, and put it back in.

Still, it was killing me. I threw my contact out, bought some Visene and used it, and wore my glasses. My eye was killing me and I couldn't see for anything. I thought for sure I had pink eye; it's going around. Eventually, the pain eased and I finished my shift. Unfortunately, we had a meeting following my shift. It was supposed to be half an hour. I knew it would be at least an hour. The store mgr. loves the sound of his own voice. It was just short of an hour and a half. Oy!

I came home and changed into my jammies. The eye seems to be OK now. I just can't imagine what is going on. I've done nothing but rest since coming home. I still don't fell all that well. I'm taking the Acyclovir. I see the eye doc on Fri. and will mention it to him.

Again, thank you all. My hugs, prayers, and good wishes for everyone that y'all feel well.

Love, Mikie
  8. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I don't understand why fibro. hits like it does. I hope that you are feeling better.

BILLCAMO New Member

in the night.......... and....... day.

You never know when , how , or where they will hit.

Get better Mikie ! Prayers going your Way ! :>)

Blessings ,

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You guys are the greatest. Yes, even with all the healing I've been blessed with, I am still vulnerable. Today, I feel as though I have a bit of a virus with a slight cough.

My own immune system is so well tuned these days that it pounces on anything I am even exposed to. I am still in my jammies but have cleaned out a few drawers and shelves so I don't feel totally useless.

Thanks for all your kindness. My God bless you all for being so sweet.

Love, Mikie
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am sorry you are feeling poorly. I know it is very disappointing. After being mainly symptom free for nearly a year, FM is tormenting me again. I have to say my attitude about it and my coping have come a long way in the last year. I feel more accepting of my limitations this time but I am sure you know how badly disappointed I was to have it come back when I considered myself healed.
  12. jole

jole Member

So sorry to hear you are feeling down have been my inspiration the past 5 years, and I follow your progress with joy.

I was so excited for you when you were able to get back to work, especially with this job which you seem to really enjoy. You have fought hard and tried so many things to make it to where you are today....a true motivator and caring person!

Wishing you good health and a speedy recovery!
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sorry to hear you are flaring. Rest up and let us know how you are doing.

Sending healing thoughts your way,

14. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

So sorry to hear this, it just seems to never end for us.

Bill and I thought we would be better when it warmed up, well it is warm, and no we aren't better.
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have been in a remission in the past year and I believe I was able to accomplish it by really resting and eliminating stress. I just about dropped out or life until I started feeling better. It took months...

Now, I can feel pretty normal, however if I begin to stress myself out and sleep less, I can feel the beginning of the old fibro coming back.

I have a very high level of Epstein Barr and believe that is my problem.

I will check out Acyclovir...

16. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sorry to hear a nasty relapse has gotten hold of you again and I hope you pull through quickly.

You've done amazingly well getting back to work - I was laughing at your boss and his 1.5 hour meetings......aaaagh!!

Lots of love

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate your kindness and feel so sorry for those of you who are relapsing or are in a flare. My prayers are going up for everyone.

I do have more confidence now because my flares are more manageable. I rest more before and after work days to give myself an extra margin for energy. I still feel so blessed to have gotten to the point where I can work a little.

It seems important to note from my experiences and others' that relapses and flares can still happen, even when significant progress, or even remission, has occured. It helps us to know that if we improved once, we can do it again, even when we are flaring. It takes less time for me to get back to feeling better each time but I am better at recognizing when I have to take it easy. Also, I don't try to overdo it any more. It becomes a challenge of managing one's lifestyle and symptoms.

Again, thank you all so very much. I read each and every post and wish I could respond individually. You are all in my prayers.

Love, Mikie