In A Painful Flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Well, seems I never learn. As I've mentioned here, I cannot be around someone with Shingles without its causing something to reactivate in my system, probably a Herpes-Family Virus. I got exposed to my neighbor who had them and have been sick a month now. Her Shingles are pretty much healed with just a bit of redness now but she is still having nerve pain. I thought it would be safe to visit her. I don't want her to feel like Typhoid Mary.

Well, I'm paying the price now. In addition to feeling as though I have a virus, it has thrown me into a painful FMS flare. I haven't had one in ages. Usually, the only time I have a flare with pain at this level is when I injure myself. I took a Vicodin for the first time in ages tonight to stop the pain. It's working but I am concerned about getting behind the eight ball. I've been making good progress til this happened.

Has anyone else ever had a flare brought on by exposure to Shingles? I know one is not supposed to be able to contract them from someone who has them. I also know that if one hasn't had Chicken Pox, one can get them from someone with the Shingles. My doc said not enough is known about Herpes-Family Viruses and that I should stay away from anyone with Shingles.

I would suggest that it might be wise for all of us to stay away from anyone with Shingles or cold sores. Who knows with these crazy illnesses how we are affected.

With the Guai treatment, my FMS symptoms are normally about 90 percent reversed. It's disheartening to know that even with all this progress over 4 1/2 years that the symptoms can come back in a NY minute.

I have always said that the "everness" of our illnesses is the hardest part, at least, for me. I'm a tough old bird and can handle pain and fatigue but I get so tired of never really being well enough to be a full participant in life. Whine, whine, whine...

Thanks for letting me vent. I just wanted to warn others that I think Shingles in others can pose a risk for us.

Love, Mikie
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Just wanted you to know...I hope you will feel better soon!! And..thanks for the heads up...My sister-n-law tends to have shingles often....she also has FMS as well. I have never been exposed to shingles...always stay away when she has them...

It really scares me because I have never even had chicken-pox....not even when I was a young child...Im suprised I haven't had them before...my immue system is ZIP...but knock on wood...some how I have avoided being exposed.

Again thanks for the heads up and be sure to get you plenty of rest...Hope you feel better soon...Take Care of You!!

((Hugs)) & Prayers
    Bluerose

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have a feeling that it might also be a strong reaction on my own immune system's part to being exposed to the Shingles. It could be both a reactivation and a strong immune response.

Part of our immune systems overreact to pathogens. The transfer factors train our immune systems to react strongly and both of the TF's I take are effective against Herpes-Family Viruses.

We can never know who might have Shingles out in shopping crowds so when we have flares, it could be possible that they are in response to something we are exposed to out in the world. It must be hard for you to stay away from your SIL when her Shingles are present. I hope you don't get the Chicken Pox from her. They can be miserable in adults.

Sometimes, it's two steps forward and three back. Fortunately, I've been through these rough times before and know I can eventually recover. There is a surprise birthday for one of my daughters in Key West in a couple of weeks and I have to get to feeling well enough to go and enjoy it. My other daughter and little Andy will be coming down too. Well, if nothing else, that will be incentive for me to get better.

Love, Mikie
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

You have been doing so well...but like you said, two steps forward, three steps back. Or is it three steps forward, two steps back which means you're still one ahead? I do hope so.

Praying for a short-lived flare and that you are back on track very soon.

Hugs,
    Sue
  5. mrsED

mrsED New Member

I, too, am flaring like crazy. I was feeling a lot better with the Lyrica. i was sleeping much better and feeling like human again. It seems I crashed on Christmas Day and it been the worst week in a long time. Not sleeping well, pain, fatigue and bad migraines, which i haven't had in several months.

It is discouraging. I guess we should be thankful for the good times and hope for more good days ahead. I'll keep you in my prayers.

My feeble mind can't comprehend how being around someone with shingles would bring about a flare, but then there is so little we really understand about this illness. Our bodies, minds, spirits are so complex.

Hewre's hoping you'll feel better soon.

MrsEd
  6. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Mikie, I can relate to your disappointment as viruses have been my nemesis for decades.You can feel so helpless and wondwer when it will all end..
    For me these days if I do go down with a virus it seems that my condition at the time determines the course of the virus.If I have had some stress or upset for a period the virus will cause a relapse but if things are cruisey well the virus doesn't cause a relapse..I believe that if our immune/nervous system is vulnerable (chemicals,emotional stress etc)then the virus can dig up the whole C.f S. scenario.
    Do hope you find something that abates the relapse.Best Wishes
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate your kind prayers and words. They help a lot. We are all so different and I doubt that exposure to Shingles would affect all of us but it sure affects me. I don't know whether exposure to Shingles could trigger our illnesses either. My doc, who is a very good doc, sees a lot of people with these illnesses and he knows that the Herpes-Family of viruses has not been studied enough to know what all they are capable of. That so many of us got sick following Mono from EBV is just one way they can cause problems. That they can lie dormant for decades and then reactivate in one form or another is scary.

My CFIDS was triggered by a mycoplasma infection but often, people with bacterial infections also have chronic viral infections and vice-versa. The Herpes Viruses can be reactivated any time we are run down.

I actually did less before Christmas than I usually do. In my family, we make donations to our favorite charities instead of buying gifts. We are drowning in stuff now and don't really need more. I stayed away from shopping crowds. I suspect it was out in the Christmas shopping crowds that I originally contracted the mycoplasma infection. Christmas Eve was the 25th Anniversary of my getting sick. I had had signs of these illnesses since early childhood, but it was the mycoplasma infection which triggered the CFIDS full blown.

Well, gang, didn't mean to write "War & Peace" here. Thanks again for all your support. I'm happy for anyone who doesn't get sick from others' Shingles. There are probably others, like me, though, who might so I just wanted to sound the alarm.

Love, Mikie
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I hope you're feeling better soon.

I think we are so open to any virus but sometimes you just cant keep clear of them.

You're right the 'everness' of our illness is the worst, I was having a comparatively good time of it, still mostly housebound but coping well and then got mumps in March and I've had a complete, terrible relapse - back to 95 pain levels, it just hits one all over again.

I wish you a Happy New Year Mickie and hope you get better soon.

love
    Rosie
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I hope you are feeling better soon. Flares, immune responses, herxes, colds, flu--it's always something, isn't it?!

That's a very interesting observation about the shingles. I work in a small laboratory, and one of my co-workers came down with shingles a couple of months ago. She had outbreaks on her face as well as other parts of her body. I don't recall now if I flared during that time or not. Her outbreak lasted over a month, so I'm sure I was exposed.

Thanks for pointing out that connection. I will be more aware if she has another outbreak. It always helps to connect the dots!

Hope you recover soon!

Katy