In General, How Long Does It Take Supplements to Help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DrNicolson, Sep 15, 2010.

1. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

I know supplements aren’t like cough medicine – they have to get into your system & cells, but generally how long should I expect to wait before I decide it’s not helping?

There is usually a wide variety of times required to see the effects of various natural supplements or nutraceuticals on clinical conditions, but in general they do not appear to act as quickly as pharmaceutical drugs. This may be due to the more indirect mechanisms of action of natural supplements compared to pharmaceuticals.

Also, there is often a wide dose-response range among different patients to the same nutraceutical. The responses can also be subtle, but one advantage is that natural supplements usually (there are obviously exceptions to this depending on the supplement) are less toxic and have fewer side effects than traditional pharmaceuticals.

You would not be satisfied if a pharmaceutical took several weeks to see any response, but this is what many nutraceuticals require for their full action. Therefore, I would not give up on a nutraceutical taken for less than one month, and that may be why most nutraceuticals are sold in monthly quantities.