In Response to "You Don't Look Sick"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bunnyfluff, Mar 19, 2007.

1. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

BTW- VERY cute poem!

I have started to carry a picture of me before I was sick. So I can show people how I looked when I was well. Smiling, vibrant, active.....

Then I tell them "you have just seen me this way for a long time, you just don't remember me from before".

I honestly don't look like the same person today. And maybe I have missed my true calling as a make-up artist! LOL!
  2. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

I hate it when people say that or when my family says "You just need to lose weight.... The CFS/FMS, meds, depression is what helped me gain weight.

It is not that simple

Look at me before I got married. Thin, long blonde hair, sparkle in my eye and a skip in my step.

I am a shadow of my former self.
  3. shell

shell New Member

This is funny to me - as lately I wear my hair however it comes out of the wash - no drying - no fixing... half the time no make-up. First thing I find I put on. I really look like a bum more then a sick person!! So yes people do notice a difference in me but they can't figure out it is tied to the illness.

Would suck if we really did look sick on top of everything else though!

HUGS
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I turned 39 when this DD hit me, and instantaneously I appeared old.

I don't even recognize myself anymore when I look at my earlier pictures.

Dan
  5. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

It depends on my mood and how obnoxious the person is. So sometimes I might say something like "Thanks. I'm glad I don't look as bad as I feel." But if I'm annoyed I might say "Either did my father when he was struck with cancer. So what."
  6. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My profile pix good but``````````````````since then I look lie the devil. Yes, I am 76 and my hair has gotten grayer from this DD.k Think I will get some color in it - always worn it that way.

Back to the subject. No one thinks I look sick, even myt family. Donh't know what hubby thinks - he never says! He is 82 and looks much younger than ime! Always takes a good picture; me, never!

Oh well, at least i am walking.

Gentle Hugs
  7. Shalala

Shalala New Member

gosh ... I must have really been a knockout before I got sick! ;-)
  8. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Next time a family member of friend says that, I came accross the best article I have seen regarding true ME/CFS for those that have it. It is really scary reading, but is the truth. Just hand them the article and that will shut them up very quickly. I am enclosing the link below, it is to long to post. It was written by British Physicins. When you read it, it is really blows one's mind as to how the NIH, CDC, and the AMA sit around and do basically nothing to help.

http://www.cfids-cab.org/freds/cfs.htm
  9. clerty

clerty New Member

As you will see in my photograph I am pale skinned anyway so even when I feel rubbish folk dont know !!!LOL
    as for hair well wash and go
    clerty