In the world of Normals, there are no monsters under the bed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Just a ramble on the human condition. :)

I called in to the crisis line this afternoon to let off some steam and to connect myself with someone. I call sometimes to talk about my life and my situation. But I also get to know a bit about the person on the other end of the line.

Today it was a young man. I'll call him John; I didn't ask his name. I was so woozy and out of it that I could hardly talk. But the loneliness can be worse than the fatigue is, so I pushed through it to make the call.

This guy seemed to really get it! I was so amazed at his grasp of how limited I was.

But then, after a few minutes with him, my young friend 'John' gave me some good advice: "Just think positive, don't lose hope, and you can beat it."

I tried to burst his bubble and tell him that it doesn't work that way. I had been talking to him about my fear that I may be in this illness for the long run. Not being well enough to parry with words with him, I let it drop for then.

Just then, a stab of latent headache broke through. "Oh yeah, and I have a headache today," I said. And his reply crystalised him forever in my mind. He said, "What do you think brought it on?"

Even as I was replying lamely, "well, it could be a number of things..." it dawned on me. My young friend 'John' lives in the World of the Normals.

He lives deep in the Realm of Cause-and-Effect, in the land where things make sense, where nothing happens without a reason, where nothing bad can get you unexpectedly. He lives in the land where there are no monsters under the bed, and where every bad thing exists only in immagination or happens to someone else, and where, if something bad does happen, you can find your way out of it. In the country where a smile can cure any woes.

At that moment, my young friend 'John' got another call comming in, and he had to put me on hold. I clicked off the phone, and considered it all to myself. His upbeat views on life. His inability to believe that any disease can be chronic.

And you know what? I actually felt better after talking to this guy! Instead of me bursting his bubble, listening to his hopeful dribble allowed me to enter into his World, if only for a moment. Bless you, 'John', where ever you are. It warmed my heart to remember how the illusion of safety feels.

Because, in the Real World, where you are and where I am, there ARE monsters under the bed. There are muggers that can grab you as you round a street corner. There are diseases that can steal everything you love in the blink of an eye. There are mental illness that you can lose yourself in. And it doesn't happen for a simple reason. And you can't smile and close your eyes to make it go away.

And really, I hope that my friend 'John' will never have to know.
    Here's to Normals.
    ((( ))) Shannon
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

This reads like a magazine or news article. You ought to look to have it published in an FM/CFS newsletter or something.

Hugs to you.

Kendra
  3. Shannonsparkles

It felt good to let it out.
  4. Shannonsparkles

I wondered if anyone would answer this thread.

It does ease my pain sometimes, in a weird way, to know there are people who can never understand it. I don't ask them to. Most of the time, crisis line volunteers can tag along where you need them to go, but other times, they truly don't get it. And those are the times that I hang up the phone and I laugh. And I feel strong.