In urgent need of will power!!! with diet, esp...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moaningmum, Dec 16, 2005.

1. moaningmum

moaningmum New Member

Any realistic suggestions on HOW TO GET BACK THE WILLPOWER I HAVE LOST?

Im talking DIET, nothing more serious.I was so good last year, when my fm was bad, and was eating such a healthy diet, that friends ware amazed when I refused cake or chocolate, coffee, sugar, wheat, and anything processed. As Ive got better, my diet has gone downhill, bigtime.

Im craving sweets and cakes, and giving in. Im not sure if Im feeling low because Im eating this rubbish, or eating this rubbish because im feeling low.

Im tired by suppertime, skipping meals because Ive snacked on rubbish, and gaining weight fast.

Last year I was positively smug about the improvements in my diet, and now Im ashamed. I eat in secret, and hide the evidence.I know there must be others out there who need the same help. Anyone want a HEALTHY EATING BUDDY, for a bit of mutual motivation?

I would love some feedback,
    Dawn

2. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

Sorry to hear you are struggling so much with this. I work in a fitness center and see people struggle like you are daily. I struggle with it too though I'm off sugar and almost everything processed, no caffiene...etc. I'm being really healthy and plan to stay this way. When I give in to a little bit of something I end up loosing control eventually. It's just easier for me to avoid stuff that will cause me to loose control.

I hear they put stuff in chocolate and other unhealthy foods that make us crave it which would explain whyi it's so hard. Not to mention how good it is. The less unhealthy foods I eat the better healthy foods taste to me. It's good to find ways to taste good so you don't feel like you are missing out. Or instead of drinking coffee, allow yourself tea. I use stevia which is a natural sweetner in my tea and on my fruit. It really helps me feel like I'm not missing out on so much, and it doesnt cause me to crave sugar, chocolate carbs........

Also, we just don't need near as much food as we put in our mouths. Our bodies are able to heal better when we treat them right and don't over feed them. It's so much easier on the digestion. The one issue that I do have is that when I eat fruit, a couple of times I did have a problem with self control. I need to figure that one out, got any tips? :(

I'm not sure about being a great motivational partner since "sometimes" I'm not online much but if you want to try to help each other I would be up for it.. I usually have time to cehck my email, internet at work 4-5 days a week but don't always have time to reply to people.

I hope this has been helpful. I just want to also say taht you can do it. I think it's a decision and keeping the bad stuff out of reach certainly doesn't hurt. I wouldnt be able to resist if the stuff was in my house.

As you said, the better you eat, the better you feel! Go for it!
  3. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Hi Dawn,

I have the same problem. I joined Kicksugar.com to find help. Several yrs ago, I went to a holistic Dr and he put me on a Candida diet which I did wonderfully on and lost 15 pounds on. after that I havent been able to resist when its put in front of me. absolutely NO willpower.

I will be praying for you

I know without a doubt it is the most important thing we can do to get better. To help pain relief too~

Take care
    Carolyn in Illinois
  4. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I don't have any answers or suggestions. Just wanted you to know I can identify with you. I, too, feel like I have no willpower when it comes to eating. I'm sure some of it is psychological because I feel so poorly and think, "Well, food is something that can enjoy." I just love to eat and actually gag on healthy foods. Good luck toy you!
  5. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Hubby is constantly on me about this. I am fortunate in that my weight stays constant no matter what I eat (I am actually extremely thin...underweight), but my health is not good (I have CFS) and I am under huuuuge stress as we are preparing to sell our house and relocate for a new job for hubby. I also have a VERY busy (and VERY picky eater herself) 4 y.o. daughter. So there is a lot of incentive for me to eat healthier, and my family, too. My main issue is I really dislike food and I have no desire to cook, etc., although when I do it usually turns out well and hubby scarfs it down (poor guy is so grateful for even the simplest stove-cooked meals). Still, I'll be your "buddy" if you'd like...maybe we can help each other eat better!

Let me know, and best of luck to you!
    C.
  6. moaningmum

moaningmum New Member

nice to know im not the only only one who knows better but gives into temptation anyway.

yesterday we visited my mum, who we dont see often because of the distance. She cooked so much that it didnt fit on the plates and of course I cleared my plate. I felt like I would burst!Really enjoyed the meal at the time but all today Ive felt like theres a fight going on in my guts.

I tried to do better today, but the chocolate was too tempting on my way home from work. I need to take something nice but healthy to eat on my way home.Im usually so hungry by this time I have tummy ache.

Ive had an idea that each time i eat rubish I shoul go on my exercise bike for 15 minutes. Either Ill burn off the calories , or Ill get so sick of the bike that it will work as a deterant.

Maybe anyone interested could post a new post about diet willpower where we can share our sucess and failure.
    good luck and may you find the willpower you deserve

dawn

[This Message was Edited on 12/19/2005]
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You need it to metabolize sugar, and it helps you to crave sugar so much less. It actually reduces your hunger in particular and is sometimes used for weight loss.

You won't need it forever either. I'm phasing it out because I've lost 15 lbs and am very slim right now. Up to 600 mcg can be taken for weight loss. I didn't have much weight to lose, but I would have if I kept gaining, mostly I needed it for out of control sugar cravings and yeast infections. I took 400 mcg, then reduced to 200 and now I just take it a few times a week.

Jeanne
  8. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I have taken chromium picolinate before, but never noticed any difference. I must've not taken enough. What brand do you suggest? I'l try it again. Thanks.
  9. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It took me awhile to notice a difference in weight and reduced appetite, but I notice sugar cravings get under control very quick. It did something to regulate blood sugar too, so I don't get weak, shaky and headachy if I start to approach hunger. Now I can actually have hunger pangs w/out falling apart.

Don't think the brand matters. I noticed I needed to take more if I took chromium piccolinate, but it's much cheaper than ChromeMate. ChromeMate is more bioavailable and seems to be stronger, different brands sell a version of it. It just binds chromium to niacin (B3) to make it absorb better, and it seems to work.

Don't know what your weight is? So you may need to take more. Go up to 600 mcg of it and as you get results, titrate your dose to what your body needs. Then eventually you can wean down to a low maintanence dose and possibly off it.

Merry Christmas. I was off, but I take it every few days now for holiday eating.

Jeanne
  11. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

Merry Christmas to you, too. Thanks for the response. I'll try to get some ChromeMate soon because I'm like the bottomless pit when it comes to eating and getting worse every day Re: my weight, I'm 5'2' and at least 156 lbs. (haven't had the nerve to weigh in a week or 2.) Also, I'm noticing increased shortness of breath--probably because of the weight gain on my small frame. Again, I appreciate your help!!