Increased Craving for Fat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by niceguy11, May 28, 2008.

1. niceguy11

niceguy11 New Member

After working a long day or a few days in a row I "crash"
    On my recup day I have an increased appetite for fats

Sometimes it's for bacon bacon grease and ham hocks stuff like that
    Sometimes it's butter or Chocolate
    It's very specific and sometimes I can consume a lot of it

It usually goes away after a few days of eating

Does anybody have this experience?

[This Message was Edited on 05/28/2008]
  2. Jayna

Jayna New Member

and the type of fat you crave is a combination of needing the fats and subconsciously selecting a type of protein that will taste good.

I find I don't crave fats as long as I remember to take my flax oil capsules regularly.
  3. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Oh yeah just had a big attack of this - I was practically eating butter from the butter dish!

I have a daily craving for sweets/carbs - the tired I get as the day progresses, the more I crave. Then when I overdo it, I crave fats!
  4. niceguy11

niceguy11 New Member

I'll use more flax oil

5. niceguy11

niceguy11 New Member

That's alot of fat to eat in just a few days

6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Somehow fats are very related to having CFS. And I know they are related to detoxing from neurotoxins.

Did you know that back when people were sent to sanatoriums to recover from TB (or was it polio?), they fed them a lot of natural fats like eggs?

7. niceguy11

niceguy11 New Member

8. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have FM and when I go into a severe flare I crave every carbo/fat food I can get my hands on. Roasted chicken skin has to be the best.

Bacon, chips, anything fried, walnut fudge...I could go on forever.

It's really strange because as I'm going into the flare, I have no appetite, then wham...bring on the food.

I don't know why.

9. niceguy11

niceguy11 New Member

the exact same thing happens to me
    Normal appetite them wham bam thank you bacon

would like to know more about why that happens

10. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

When I first got sick, I craved fats, especially pork fat - those yucky cheap pork cuts were the best. (I was not a big meat eater so this was really weird for me).

I believe that our bodies do need fat and the better fats are good for us.

BUT, I think that the reason that we crave fats is our bodies way of protecting us from toxins. The body stores toxins in fat which isn't readily mobilized. This is just my opinion as I have only seen reference to it once by a doctor and it wasn't official.

When I am craving fat, (not so much anymore), I use supplements that will block toxins such as yucca sprinkled on meat to block excess ammonia, charcoal/magnesium to absorb toxins, more caffeine cleanses, etc.

There are many more things to block toxins. (I am not talking about those cleanses that are sold in stores - those are usually too strong for our population).

Also, the fact that this is worse for you when you are overdone it, would seem that that would be the case for you too. Through extertion, you can mobilize toxins (so the lymph system can remove them).

This is what I would suggest, on the day you are overexerting, I would take charcoal capsules (away from other supplements) then two hours later, take magnesium.

If that reduces your fat cravings, then my theory is correct for you also.

Hope this helps,
  11. niceguy11

niceguy11 New Member

Thanks Marti

I think what you say makes sense
    because I crave milk thistle and lemon when I'm fatigued
    both of those things are cleansers I suspect

12. Catseye

Catseye Member

They are extremely important, for the body to make adrenal and anti inflammatory hormones, among other things. The brain needs them, too. But if you don't break them down properly, they'll will become poisons. They will clog up the liver and inhibit the thyroid. I am digesting mine now after supplementing with lots of betaine hcl with my meals.

13. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Arginase, another manganese-containing enzyme, is required by the liver for the urea cycle, a process that detoxifies ammonia generated during amino acid metabolism.
  14. tigercat411

tigercat411 New Member

Well this explains my strange food days....

Anybody that craves crispy chicken skin or fried pork (like me )aint all bad

15. niceguy11

niceguy11 New Member

Hi Marti

what brand of charcoal do you use?
    What kind of Yucca too ?
    What about the charcoal absorbing nutrients?

[This Message was Edited on 05/29/2008]
  16. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

and the brian doesnt function to understand all the nitty griity's

I too grave the fats, choccy, butter on bisciots and peanut putter are my worst......

man I wish they would find out WHY all this is happening

angel hugs to all

17. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Hi niceguy,
    I use Swansons for all of my supplements. I used them because the cost was so much lower, but I was really pleased with the quality.

The softgels are plump and firm not like other brands that look like they've been in the heat. The capsules dissolve readily in water unlike the hard shell capsules.

I use activated charcoal and when I do a caffeine cleanse, (therefore using a lot of charcoal), then I double up on my vitamins and minerals for a day or so. Otherwise, I don't use too much charcoal (4-6 capsules) so I just don't take them with other medications or supplements.

When I am feeling really nauseated, then I take them and it soaks up whatever it is that is causing the nausea, then I am not concerned that it has the ability to absorb anything else. Like all chelators, it can only absorb so much.

I also use the Swansons' Yucca. I sprinkle it on my meat for the ammonia issues. Not too experienced with this yet but am considering taking a whole capsule as I believe ammonia is an issue for me.

Swanson's vitamins charges $4.95 shipping and sometimes you get emails for free shipping.

I have also purchased activated charcoal at the WalMart Pharmacy. It's all the same but it has to be in the pharmacy OTC section.

18. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Eggs are a high source of choline. But Manganese is required to activate choline.

BILLCAMO New Member

are a very common side effect/symptom of these DD's.

Blessings ,

20. niceguy11

niceguy11 New Member

what are they?