Increased Mice Endurance by a pill alone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunnyslumber, Aug 2, 2008.

1. sunnyslumber

sunnyslumber New Member

Has anyone heard of the new study indicating increased sendentary mice excercise endurance by 44% percent, based on administration of a drug that activates a kinase involved in exercise metabolism?

Do you think this sort of drug or approach could help us? Thoughts?

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I just saw a news report about this last night, I think on PBS. It looked very interesting, and I immediately wondered about its applicability to CFIDS. The drug helped both mice which exercised, and those which were sedentary.

I just now skimmed the NY Times article you linked, and it appears there are two different drugs involved (one for exercising mice and one for sedentary) already in existence, but which just haven't been used for these purposes before.

The article also mentions a point of similarity with resveratrol, which may increase mitochondria production.

I don't know - it looks very interesting. I would worry about side effects of course. The article did state that drug companies may get involved now that this research has been done.

It looks interesting ... definitely worth looking into at least. I just did a google search for Aircar, one of of the drugs mentioned, and there are several hits. Will have to read more about it.

Thanks for posting this!

3. hensue

hensue New Member

Wasn't that awesome. Do you think that would help us beside losing weight in anyway. Since they have tested it on mice they need to hurry and test on humans.
  4. sunnyslumber

sunnyslumber New Member

Thanks for your input. It doesn't seem to indicate whether it would, or wouldn't, help with things beside physical exertion, but even if there was a drug that greatly improved that I think it would be moving in the right direction.

Anybody else have a view?

johnny duncan
  5. sunnyslumber

sunnyslumber New Member

There is no-one?
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

I had heard that a new medication can condition your body like you were exercising without doing it. Pretty soon we can be like 2001 space odyssey, just a head in a glass case haha

My deal is I would love to exercise, i could even do it but then I would pay dearly for a long time like if I went and swam laps or rode a bike, it seems to be a combo of mitochondrial issues and spinal issues interplay. So something that would make me exercise more without addressing the damage that comes after is of no use to me.