Increasing Magnesium and Sulphate Epsom Salt Lotion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marti_zavala, Jul 9, 2008.

1. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Hi everyone,
    Have been doing research on various ways to increase magnesium and found these recipes. I have heard of the commercial product (from Kirkmans' - $18 for 4 ounces) but knew that people made their own so here is a recipe for magnesium sulphate cream/lotion.

This is from an autism parents website so you will see references to children. Here are various snippets and then a couple of recipes.

Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency

Magnesium deficiency is associated with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, migraines, and a bunch of other ailments. Supplementing with magnesium has helped many of these conditions in clinical studies.

The symptoms of magnesium deficiency are irritability, tantrums, seizures, insomnia, muscle cramps/twitching, hyperactivity and poor digestion among others. Magnesium is needed for proper electrolyte function, over 300 enzyme functions, and calcium absorption.

I also found it very interested to read that one of the primary sources of dietary magnesium is whole grains and cereals. If one goes 100% gluten free, you would be loosing a main source of magnesium, and could go deficient especially if you are also supplementing with extra calcium to make up for the casein free part.

Higher amount of magnesium may cause a laxative effect (milk of magnesium, Epsom salts).
    Sulfate has an influence over almost every cellular function. Sulfate attaches to phenols and makes them less harmful, and sets them up for being excreted from your kidneys. A lot of these potentially toxic molecules are in foods, and since this is a capacity-limited system, those who are low in sulfate do well to eliminate exposures to foods and environmental things, which might put extra stress on this chemistry. That strategy is the focus of the Feingold diet, which restricts phenols from the diet. Your body also makes many different chemicals of this type, and they need to be cleared from the system before they get harmful.

If growth factors were bankers, sulfate would be their money. Growth factors use sulfate to do their business. That is why it is known that if you become VERY deficient in sulfate you will stop growing if you are a child, or you will start to break down (catabolize) your own muscle to make up for this deficiency. That means if your child has not been growing, and has very flimsy muscles, you should be concerned that his sulfate chemistry may be hurting. When this happens in very sick adults, it puts them into a state called cachexia, a wasting process that happens in Alzheimer's disease, AIDS, cancer, and an autism spectrum disorder called Rett Syndrome.

Sulfate is used to regulate the performance of many other molecules. Many systems in the body will not function well in a low-sulfate environment. One of the things is influences is the hormone that helps humans recognize faces and "socialize". Increasing sulfur in the body can improve socialization and related issues. Sulfur is so critical to life that the body will apparently borrow protein from the muscles to keep from running too low.

MARTI's NOTE HERE: Some people have a genetic polymorphism and must limit their sulfur. Just a warning.

Epsom salt oil. I have been experimenting a bit with the Epsom salts. It would leave a salty film on the skin, which my two boys and I didn't like (itchy). Lately, I have been mixing some coconut oil in with the salts and water. Actually it is more oil than water. 3 tablespoons water + 4 tablespoons salts + 12 tablespoon coconut oil. The coconut oil is good for the skin anyway and it seems to counter the drying effect of the salts. I found that just mixing the salts and oil did not dissolve the salts, so I needed to add just some water. I apply this liberally on the skin and it soaks in plus leaves the skin smooth and soft.

>>I am sure that a handy person can come up with a cream/ ointment in the same way I did but here is the formula I have been using for about a year now. We use it after a bath before bed and as a hand and foot lotion during PT and to soothe. It absorbs fine and leaves only a little powder type residue.

1 cup Epsom salts
    2 t non-aluminum baking soda
    1/2 cup boiling distilled water
    2 T glycerin
    1/4 cup almond, olive, or sunflower oil
    1/2 cup favorite natural lotion or cream from HFS OR 1/2 cup coconut butter

a few drops lavender or other essential oils
    a T flaxseed oil
    a T evening primrose oil
    a T of MSM powder to boost sulfate levels

This is like making real mayonnaise, you need to blend at high speed and add ingredients a little at a time.
    Boil water and add to Epsom salts and baking soda in blender, pulse till dissolved and not grainy (must be boiling).
    Add glycerin, then slowly add oils while blending to emulsify.
    Still blending add lotion, cream, or coconut butter a little at a time.
    Pour into a clean container, preferably ceramic or glass (I use a wide mouth mason jar that I can sterilize).
    If this separates into layers when cool, rewarm and add 2T guar gum dissolved into a bit of hot water, reblend and cool.

Mine separates almost immediately and I can't find any guar gum ANYWHERE. If anyone knows what could be used to stop the separation, please post a solution.

It should not get grainy and should smooth on well and be rubbed into warm open pores. If you like it more or less oily change that part of the recipe, I make mine kind of thin like a light massage oil rather than a cream.<<

Hope thats helpful to someone.

2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I was using an epsom salt- magnesium cream that I made till I had to go in the hospital for 3 weeks because of bleeding from an aneurysm. It seemed to be helping all my symptoms. But the doctors took me off all supplements till I go for my checkup on the 28th. One thing the cream really seemed to help with is my high heart rate. My heart rate is back up to about 120. I can't wait to start using it again.
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I hope you are doing okay, that sounds serious.

I love the way I feel after an epsom salt bath but I just don't do it enough.

Magnesium seems to be so important to our bodies.

Did you have an easier recipe than either of these?

4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I dissolve a little epsom salt in boiling water and mix this concoction with Eucerin Dry Skin Cream. It's gritty but it works for me.
  5. spacee

spacee Member

Some people this cream is great. Some it does nothing. Or if you are like me...the tiniest amount works. I think the jar of Kirkman's is going to last me 6 months..easily

If I use the normal amount, I do really well but get a spliting headache.

My 2cents worth.

6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Have you determined the source of the headache?

Sounds like the sulphates are detoxing you too fast. I get other symptoms if I overdo sulphur stuff.

I don't know why I didn't use the creams before - I guess I was too cheap to fork out the money.

I do everything on a shoestring.

7. spacee

spacee Member

Thanks for the inquiry. My headache is actually the scalp of the right side of my head. It hurts really bad and I keep pressing on "trigger like" spots.

It is exactly the same headache have have with when I overdo. It started with the onset of CFS 22 years ago and has gotten worse over the years. If I stay within my boundaries and don't use too much of the magnesium cream, it doesn't bother much. Yet it is still there.

Any insight is welcome!

8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Bumping for recent interest in epsom salts.

9. pepper

pepper New Member

I am gluten free which I never realized might be a problem!

If you search on this site, you will find that one of the things that helped me most (years ago) was precipitated sulphur baths. It greatly increased my energy. I never related these two issues.

If sulphur didn't make me and my house smell so darn bad I would be doing it every day.

I will try this recipe.
    Thank you!