Incredible solution for neck pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Nov 6, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Oh my gosh, my neck is the worst, 24/7 pain, I have hydrocodone 5/500 and if I take 1 and a half it dulls it enough to be tolerable but nothing ever makes it go away, till now.

My mother in law (bless her heart) sent me a package yesterday, totally unexpected, my hubby says "did you buy anything form Orvis?"

"Yeah right, I do not shop, you know that"

Well, it is a jelly roll, a rolled pillow for your neck at night, it has a jelly bag inside you heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, it is cumbersome to get the roll beck inside when it is so hot, I used a glove to pull it thru and quite frankly I am not sure that it emits enough heat to make a difference but I did sleep with it and I am amazed. No pain at all this am, none. That is incredible for me, I never thought anything would cut that pain, hopefull it will be this good all day, I will report back later but I definitely encourage the use of a roll type pillow, just under the neck & none other.

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Oh my gosh, my neck is the worst, 24/7 pain, I have hydrocodone 5/500 and if I take 1 and a half it dulls it enough to be tolerable but nothing ever makes it go away, till now.

My mother in law (bless her heart) sent me a package yesterday, totally unexpected, my hubby says "did you buy anything form Orvis?"

"Yeah right, I do not shop, you know that"

Well, it is a jelly roll, a rolled pillow for your neck at night, it has a jelly bag inside you heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, it is cumbersome to get the roll beck inside when it is so hot, I used a glove to pull it thru and quite frankly I am not sure that it emits enough heat to make a difference but I did sleep with it and I am amazed. No pain at all this am, none. That is incredible for me, I never thought anything would cut that pain, hopefull it will be this good all day, I will report back later but I definitely encourage the use of a roll type pillow, just under the neck & none other.

Jaci
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I just don't always do as I am told, I like to learn everything the hard way.

I did read your post, I will read it again & pay more attn & take some notes, ok. Thanks a lot.

I love this board.

Jaci
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have a lot of neck pain (better after 2 epidurals, still not "fixed") and this seems like a simple thing to try & get better sleep at night. Thanks for sharing this.

Pam
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'm glad this worked for you, but roll pillows make me a lot worse. I have very little curve in my neck since the accident that started my FMS and rounded pillows hurt like he**! Also, I know my neck pain is mostly caused by constant teeth grinding all day and night and clenching my teeth in sleep, which the doc says is due to brain damage. I have a hard splint for night, but that doesn't stop the pain, it just prevents teeth damage. I gave my roll pillow to our Golden Retriever...he loved it so much he ate it!
    Hugs,
    KLutzo
  6. RoseTx

RoseTx New Member

You can achieve the same results with a tube sock filled loosly with rice. Just put the rice in, tie it closed with a shoe string or whaever, pop it in the microwave and put it under your neck or back or legs or whaever hurts.
    You might also want to invest in a heating mattress pad. I bought mine from Sears and I turn it on low, year round and sleep like a baby and get up in the mornings with no muscle spasms and no pain. Hope this helps. Hugs, Rose
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That sounds like the Rice Socks that Rose mentioned. Let me expand on what she said; Take a mans tub sock, fill it three quarters full of raw rice, tie the end anyway you want, I just make a knot in it, but you can use a hair band, rubber ban, or sew it.

Then to heat, just put in the micro wave for a few minutes (mine takes two minutes to make it hot), I also keep two in the freezer in case I get a headache, they don't get drippy and stay cold for a long time.

I sleep with one around my neck every night, could not live without it anymore! It molds to whatever part of your body you put it on. They are wonderful. Also they fit in the microwave easy too.

As for that Wireless Mattress Pad Rose mentioned, wow, that is my love! I keep it on winter and summer (turn up the A/C in the summer to keep the house cold) it stops all that stiffness and morning pain.

Glad you found something that helps, and thanks for sharing.

Shalom, Shirl

8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

My hubby would hate it though, I have thought about getting one & having it on my side of the bed only or if they have dual controls, I will look into it.

Also my hubby has a pacemaker and he gets pretty nervous around pacemakers, magnets, etc. He cannot use anything like massagers, the blow dryer & razor even he has to keep away from his chest.

Jaci
  9. teach6

teach6 New Member

Some of the heated mattress pads come with dual controls, that way you can have your side on and he can keep his off. Since I'm single, but don't sleep in a single bed I just turn on one side of mine. I used to sprawl all over the bed as I tossed and turned, but now I no longer toss and turn so I only need one side!

Barbara
  10. tedebear

tedebear New Member

How much on average does this heated mattress pad cost?
    Thanks. Soft hugs.
  11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I would guess the same as a heating blanket, $30-$50

Target would probably be the most affordable.

Jaci
  12. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Does the blanket go under the sheet or you lay on top of it?
  13. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Only it has a cord & heats up.

Under the sheet.

Jaci
  14. Ponygirl

Ponygirl New Member

Got my rice tube from my chiropracter. Its called a BED BUDDY. Cute huh? Went yesterday to have my neck worked on and he reccommended ice instead of heat. Have been having bad headaches lately. Took 4 hydro's today and it didnt even touch the pain.. Will go back in tomorrow to see whats wrong. Glad to hear the heat works for you. Any ideas on my headaches. Ready to shoot myself. Still in my leapard print flannel jammies and it's almost 3 .30. Sex appeal? I think not. Not that I care, remember honey, I have a headache.
  15. paula45

paula45 New Member

Just to let you know, I ordered my heated pad from Penneys. It was $40 for a twin size. I do the twin size on everything cause my hubby doesn't want "his side of the bed messed with". So, I got a twin size feather bed, egg crate,etc. Besides leaving his side of the bed alone, it saves a lot of money. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Gentle hugs
    Paula
  16. tedebear

tedebear New Member

I wouldn't have thought of getting a twin one. My husband does not sleep with covers because he is always warm, whereby the twin blanket would be beneficial for me.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Soft hugs.

P.S. Thanks Jaci too for the response.
  17. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

Hi. I have had so much neck and shoulder pain and my doc wants me to have a c-scan to make sure here is nothing else going on in there but the fibro.

Thanks so much for this post!! I cannot sleep on a pillow some nights and I have a tiny pillow that I sleep on most of the time.

I am definately going to try this. It sounds so good just reading about the heat on my neck at night.

Pls report back and let us know how it's working long term.

Gentle Hugs, Robsgal
  18. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

Dont be so hard on yourself gal. When you hurt , you hurt. Hope your pain subsides soon.

Robsgirl
  19. BethM

BethM New Member

Another version of the rice sock.... I sew a pillow of whatever size and shape, fill it loosely with raw rice or barley or field corn (NOT POPCORN!!!), or other grain, stitch up the seam, and voila! I have a bigger one I heat for 3 minutes 45 seconds in the microwave, that goes by my feet at night, and another smaller one for when it's really cold that I put higher up in the bed. My spouse works nights and it's hard to keep a California King bed warm by myself. I did find a great discount linen site online and bought myself a down blanket at a great price. That has been wonderful so far this winter.

Happy sleeping!!

Peace,
    Beth.
  20. BonBons

BonBons New Member

I have spurs and spondylosis in my neck which I believe resulted from whiplash from several car accidents. Recently picked up a book re: Chronic pain and I am now anxious to try traction which I thought was outdated rather than the epidurals recommended by my neuro. So, I'll be looking for a doc who does them. the author claims they feel wonderful. Since that is my main sleep issue, I'm looking forward to trying it (3 times is the Rx). Good luck. BonBons