Inderal for Migraines

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrodoll, May 26, 2003.

1. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

Does anyone here take inderal for migraines? I took it about 20 yrs ago for cluster headaches and it worked then.

I have been helping with my own treatment and am currently taking neurontin for leg pain and trazodone for sleep. Ultram for pain but it doesn't help any.

I take axert when my head gets bad and it takes the edge off but I always have acheyness in head.

I hope someone out there can help.

Bye for now, Valley.
  2. carolweedwad

carolweedwad New Member

I've had terrible migraines for 20 years and through that time off and on they'd give me inderal low doses and it didn't help much. I went through a bad time and experimented with 40 mg's three times a day and that has regulated my blood vessels and i NO LONGER suffer from migraines...........it completely controls them........i am so thankful.......because i have really suffered with those buggers. To me it's the best and cheapest migraine solution out there. I also have those $17 per pill Maxalt pills in case i get a migraine but i don't have to use them...thank you Jesus!
  3. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

Me again. Thanks for replies. I would like to get more opinions. Valley
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

My migraines were so related to my allergies/clogged sinuses, so that, I realized if I could get control over that or dispell it, I could prevent migraines..

I have been thru the neurologist mill of pills, that never prevented my headaches to a significant degree...And I was having them daily during the worse allergy seasons of spring/summer/fall..I was on a calcium channel blocker, which never worked well..similar to the beta blockers..I was having to use IMITREX, too frequently or go without..

It was not until this year when I discovered OLE (Olive Leaf Extract) that I finally did stop them...it is unbelievable, but true..Please see the info on this, if your migraines are connected in any way to allergies and sinus problems..

5. AC77

AC77 New Member

I am so narrow minded and flooded by drug reps ads for the newest meds, I completly didn't even think of stand-bys like the beta/alpha blockers. I really should give them a try for my headaches, because they are the one class of meds, I have yet to try yet. I am afraid of becoming hypotensive on them, as my blood pressure is a normal 122/74. But, I guess a low dose is worth a try. Will have to talk to my D.O. about it. I am sure he has tons of experience using them for this. I can't take NSAIDS anymore, and with all my GI crap going on will have to wait for the results of the colonos. and endosc.

My new/old migraine treatment, that seems to have a lot of success and is cheap as heck is. 1-2 Tylenol 4's or 1 Vicodin and take with 2 Aspirin, and 10mgs of Compazine. Seems to work like a charm, when the triptans fail.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2003]
  6. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I have tried all kinds of preventives since 1997 and have found NOTHING to prevent my migraines and daily headaches.I do know the causes for the daily ones-fibromyalgia and TMJ.Inderal was my very 1st drug to try,did nothing for me.I do now take high blood pressure meds.(toprol-xl,same kind of drug as inderal)and have noticed no headache change.The only drugs that help with my migraines/headaches are Imitrex injections and Amerge.And believe me everytime there is a new one,I try it and it usually fails.I sure do not enjoy Imitrex injections but the nasal spray and pills do NOTHING for me.
  7. Flibble

Flibble New Member

I have taken a low dose of Inderal for years for headaches and it seems to really help. I also use it for high blood pressure. It does have some side effects like being tired and sun sensitive plus a few others but it is all a trade off. Good Luck! Flibble
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I took it for migraines for 7 yrs. until it no longer worked. Problems are that it eventually stops working, and can cause shaking, etc, when going throuhg withdrawl from it, it causes weight gain as it lowers metabolism, and it causes low energy for the same reason.
    GABA, which FMSers are deficient in, stopped my migraines after I had been on it for 2 months at max doses. It is an OTC supplement at heatlh food stores.
    Menopause stopped them permanently, except for the brief time I took HRT, and I stopped the HRT becaue the headaches came back...not worth it!
    The only thing that worked for me once the Inderal stopped, was a combo of Phenergan and Restoril.
    You have my empathy!
    Klutzo