Indianapolis Area Doctor? Or just a Indy Friend.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HRgirl, Mar 15, 2007.

1. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

Does anyone know of an Indianapolis area doctor (besides the one that is so popular up in Carmel who charges an arm and a leg and does not accept insurance).

I am due to see the top Neurologist at the IU med center who specializes in Narcolepsy / FMS and others (They still think I have narcolepsy) I don't.

2. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

bump bump
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My insurance (BCBS PPO) covers the majority of the costs of my visits to Dr. Guyer. I just have to submit the paperwork myself.

I have had a number of other really good doctors work with me in the same way, and so think the comment that he "does not accept insurance" is misleading.

(It is true that Dr. Guyer will not work with Medicare, however.)

Another note is that his office is now on 86th St. in Indianapolis, not in Carmel.

A friend's mom (who has been seeing Dr. Guyer for 12 years and gradually moved from being bedridden with CFS to wholly well) has been looking for a backup doctor for years and not come across anyone.

Best, Lisa

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I don't have any fibro, and so I don't know how he treats that.

I have very bad veins and usually faint even when I get blood drawn for tests. The one time I tried to get an IV done at his office, I got extremely sick. I thus haven't pursued IV's any more. I live too far away (Chicago) to get them more than very occasionally anyway.

He and I work very well together, and I have a hard time imagining myself being happy with any of the doctors I've heard about here or elsewhere. (I've had at least 2 dozen other health practitioners myself over the years, but dismissed most of them after I started seeing him 10 years ago.)

Different people prefer different styles though. I like him because he's incredibly intelligent, treats each patient individually, doesn't give up on problems that don't have ready-made answers, and is very open to learning and discussing new ideas during appointments.

I think it helps if you understand your illness really well, though. He approaches things at a very high theoretical level, and I would think that patients who don't understand what he's doing might get very confused and give up before progress was made.

Prior to my beginning to pursue the antivirals last summer, there was a very long stretch where I had plateaued and was just seeing him every six months mostly to get prescription refills. Now that it seems there is the possibility that I might get really well, I am seeing him regularly and putting as much energy as possible into improving in as many different ways as I can.

Obviously his rates are expensive, but no more so than any of the other good CFS doctors in this country. Considering how much money in earnings I have at stake if I am not well enough to do any work, it has been worth it for me.

However, I've only paid for regular office visits and neural therapy. (The latter has done a very good job of resolving some of the mood symptoms resulting from my head injury, and so it seems to have been worth the $190/session he charges. Again, my insurance does pay for the majority of his charges.)

Some patience is sometimes required to deal with the administrative aspects of being his patient, I think.

What do you want a doctor to do for you? Do you have specific problems right now or treatments that you are interested in exploring? Knowing what those things are might make it clearer whether he might be of benefit.

Best, Lisa

5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Oh, this description that someone wrote about Dr. Levine is can be pretty much applied to Dr. Guyer. I might go to her if he weren't around.

"Office visit she cuts to the chase, will spend as much time with you as you want (within reason), definitely bring your blood work with you if you have previous blood work, does not re-run tests just to waste your money if not necessary, enjoys being questioned or asked why she may suggest something (Pro's Con's), knows exactly what tests to run, what to look for, very good with drug interaction issues/impact, she will not start doing presentations to you about CFS and showing you all sorts of pre-documented/recorded information to make herself look "informed", not a pusher of anything, does the IV's, does not push them on you and does not have her own vitamin store. She will suggest what to take and possibly where best to get it, if that is what you want. Very Candid. Has the right medical background/specialties to be treating CFS. I think you get back, as much medical care/attention as you want from her, sort of an individual thing, she will give it her best shot. "

He does have a vitamin store, but there doesn't seem to be a big push to buy things there rather than elsewhere. A lot of people get IV's, but I don't get the feeling that he would ever insist that patients get them (or do anything else) if they weren't comfortable with the idea or getting benefit.

He is a bit careful with his time and generally charges for it, though.

Hope this is helpful.

Best, Lisa

6. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Just a quick question because I have BCBS in Florida. My PPO plan covers out of network doctors which Dr. Geyer would be considered at 60% of what they deem to be reasonable and customery. I am curious how yours works? I Also find, everytime I have to go out of network they make it so difficult to get reimbursed: between the forms, itemized charges, diagnostic and pcp codes. Maybe your policy is different but I tend to find it to be an aweful lot of work? Thanks for any feedback.
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This is the BCBS summary I got back from my last follow-up:

Total Cost: $350
    Not Covered: $125 (1)
    Managed Care Program Deduction: $25
    Total Benefits Approved: $200

(1) Your health care plan pays for eligible services based on a schedule of allowances. Charges that exceed the allowance are not covered by your policy.

When I go to the doctor, I get an invoice that lists the diagnosis codes. (I don't know what a pcp code is.) The form that I fill out for the insurance basically just asks for the insurance card information. I send those two documents in together and then get reimbursement.

I actually much prefer to do it this way, since if something goes wrong, I can take care of it myself. At one point the insurance did not get a bill that one of my doctors' offices supposedly sent in, and it took me six phone calls to various people before the problem was resolved. (I have a couple of other doctors who just give me bills rather than submitting for me too.)

I'm sure that some other people with PPO's have a more difficult time getting reimbursed than I do, though. (I do have to go to a lot of trouble to get reimbursed for compounded medications through my pharmacy program, for instance.)

Best, Lisa

P.S. We have really good health insurance though. It costs us $4,000 a year beyond the substantial amount that my husband's employer kicks in just for the two of us, before deductions. (There are other plans offered by his employer that would cost us very little.) [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2007]
  8. moab341

moab341 New Member

I asked around to find a Rhuemy and everyone said Dr. John Hague.
    He's smart, so doubt. I have found his bedside mannor a little irritating, but I think we can work that out. I love his nurse though!!

He's at 8802 N Meridian.

Good Luck!!! Roni
  9. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

It has been quite helpful. I just found out that my Anthem covers 75% out of network. not bad. May try Guyer.
  10. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

If you have any more questions (or want to share with me what sort of things you want a doctor to address), please let me know.

Best, Lisa
  11. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

I think I will save for Guyer but I will make it clear that I want to controll what is done as to not ring up costs.

I will continue to go to the IU med center next month for my first appt. with the Neuro that specializes in sleep disorders plus I heard they are running a CFS study
  12. moab341

moab341 New Member

I called Guyers office and the secretary said he does not file with any insurance, that his patients all pay up front.

How else can I find someone in Indpls who does the antibiotic treatments?

13. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

From what I understand, you do have to pay up front but can file on your own for reimbursement.
  14. moab341

moab341 New Member

I am on an HMO and have to go through St Vincent's and a Dr. who is with that hospital. The receptionist said he is not with St. Vincent's. She didn't give me any info at all.
  15. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

Your HMO will not cover it usually. Unfortunately, you are stuck with who your providor allows you to see. I would call your carrier and ask them who their preferred providor is for FMS/CFS. Mine has them.
  16. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Just wanted to say HI :).
  17. moab341

moab341 New Member

I have a book with all the Drs in it that I can go to for different things. I am with the Rheumy that was listed. There are only two Rheumy groups listed in the book.....I have to take to my Dr. and see if he does the antibiotic treatment.
    I guess I don't understand why he wouldn't.....It seems a lot better than the drugs they put you on for pain that you get addicted to and really don't help.
  18. artseyone

artseyone New Member

I am so fortunate to be in a city, Terre Haute, that has an excellent dr. She has founded the Maple Center esp to treat women..She not only is an aleopathic M.D. but utilizes alternative medicine too...she is never negative and will pursue methods when some don't work..You leave her office w/hope that she is concerned about getting her patients well.
    She is a well known M.D. here and has done much for the community..
    Artseyone
    I know it's a drive, but if you need any help, I'm happy to help..she accepts insurance.
  19. moab341

moab341 New Member

Thanks so much!
    I am going to talk to my Dr.s nurse tonight after work. She can tell me if he does the antibiotic treatment.
    If not, then I am on a mission to find someone that does.

My fiance said we'll come up with the money somehow, but I am just going to have faith I will find one in my network that will do it.

Good luck!!! Roni
  20. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I was at Dr. Guyer's office yesterday and asked about new patient rates.

Dr. Guyer spends 30+ minutes talking to prospective patients. This is done with the goal of patients deciding whether he is right for them.

THIS IS IMPORTANT:

If you are referred by another patient, the cost of the initial meeting is $275.

If you are not referred, the cost is more like $400.

Thus, use my name if you decide to pursue. If I need to do something to help, let me know.

(Current patients giving references get money off their next appointment, but this will not apply to me since I've already done it once before. I just want more people to have access to an initial treatment meeting in order to see if he's right for them.)

The initial 30+ minute meeting can be telephone or in-person, for the same price.

If I were a new patient, I would get as many tests as possible done in advance and have an idea of what I wanted to pursue before the initial call. That way, he will be better able to give an idea of what he would suggest, and you can see if he will treat in a way that you feel might be good.

Follow-up meetings are $350. There may be an intermediary step where he takes a hard look at the case and spends more time with patients who have decided to use him, though. It's possible this might be more like $750-1000. Check to see.

As noted above, I have BCBS PPO and get a reasonable amount of my visits covered. Obviously this will not be the case for many others, especially those in HMO's. Check your health care plans.

Best, Lisa