Indicators of neuroendocrine and immune activity in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Neuroendocrine and immune network re-modeling in chronic fatigue
    syndrome: An exploratory analysis.

Journal: Genomics. 2008 Sep 4. [Epub ahead of print]

Authors: Fuite J, Vernon SD, Broderick G.

Affiliation: Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Faculty of
    Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, 2E4.41 Walter
    Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, 8440-112 Street, Edmonton, AB, Canada.

NLM Citation: PMID: 18775774

This work investigates the significance of changes in association
    patterns linking indicators of neuroendocrine and immune activity in
    patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Gene sets
    preferentially expressed in specific immune cell isolates were
    integrated with neuroendocrine data from a large population-based
    study. Co-expression patterns linking immune cell activity with
    hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA), thyroidal (HPT) and gonadal
    (HPG) axis status were computed using mutual information criteria.

Networks in control and CFS subjects were compared globally in terms
    of a weighted graph edit distance. Local re-modeling of node
    connectivity was quantified by node degree and eigenvector centrality

Results indicate statistically significant differences between CFS
    and control networks determined mainly by re-modeling around
    pituitary and thyroid nodes as well as an emergent immune sub-network.

Findings align with known mechanisms of chronic inflammation and
    support possible immune-mediated loss of thyroid function in CFS
    exacerbated by blunted HPA axis responsiveness.
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

This is very good information! Thanks once again.

I'm having terrible inflammation and autoimmune problems, also thyroid and HPA axis malfunctioning. No wonder I feel so out of it: my brain is barely working at all.

I see the vascular dr. Tuesday about my legs: had EMGs (normal) and scans of arteries of legs from groin to ankles...get results Tuesday. If they, too, are normal, I'm going to try to find a hematologist and get tested for hypercoagulation, if my dr. won't order the Immune System Activation of Coagulation test (ISAC)by Hemex Labs.

I think the immune system overactivation is my main problem, and has caused the diagnosis of myasthenia gravis, also. We'll see.

The fact that your info is in a respected journal should help many; again, thank you so much!

Mucho huggies,
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

with inflammation often underlies my bad patches and occurred again following surgery. I had tried to get my GP to understand, in advance, that I would like to get this under control with meds post surgery until it came down far enough to switch back to alternatives.

Sadly he messed up again, and on pain meds, and has just realised that on top of everything else it does not look good for him professionally. Now he's falling over backwards to help, within the limits of our NHS, but not for the right reasons.

I gave him some extracts of important info relating to conventional Tx and meds and and asked if this time he would read it so that no one else would have to go through what I did. He's asked me to book a double appt very soon so he can start sorting things out; I will know then if he actually read what I gave him.

Local haematolgists recognise Berg's theory but the standard UK solution is aspirin or warfarin; since I have trouble tolerating both and warfarin in not the best Rx for sticky blood, I self treated with fibrinolytic enzymes.

Hope you get the ISAC tests apporoved and funded; it helps to know what's going on especially if there's something we can do about it.

I had a rocky ride but am glad I tackled this particular problem.

I hate the way an overeactive immune system messes up my brain so I empathise with you. Typically a viral infection will set it off with a vengeance but a recent nasty virus seems to have dampened down my prior inflammation etc so I still get to use my little grey cells.

tc, Tansy
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted you to know the leg scans showed that I had "remarkably good veins and arteries for my age"!

Asked about ISAC test; they had no clue. so, maybe I will order it, maybe I won't.

Take aspirin already.

I sure hope you got your dr. straightened out royally, finally!

5. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Findmind

No problem I'm pleased you let me know. It's always nice to see test results like that; my son's tests came back with figures one would expect in a person 10 years younger but his condition at the time usually happens in patients 3 decades or more above his chronological age.

We treat ourselves and there's overlaps in what we take and our diets. He takes a baby dose of aspirin every day but found enzymes, herbs etc, made the biggest impact.

Before seeing my GP again I want to send notes in advance on he proposed I discuss; this should avoid any sidetracking. I will also list the reasons I feel they have let me down over the years. My surgeon has already made his opinions clear, in writing, so that will help.

I have given this GP, and his partners, a chance to sort things out; if they fail I will make a formal complaint. Doing it this way shows I am willing to give them the opportunity to address their delays in treatments etc. The ball will be put firmly in their court.

If there were a decent local GP practice, for patients with ME and CFS, I would have registered with them; but there are none.

There seem to be more hypotheses and articles on the immune sysem and mitochondria atm.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2008]