INFECTED bite on leg!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by RENA0909, Aug 7, 2004.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Hi
    I was bitten 4 days ago and my leg is sore and infected now.
    The bite has a red rash around it and the doc has given me antibiotic cream for it so I am hoping it will do the job as it is swollen and painful all around bite mark which is full of pus(sorry yuk! ).
    I was bitten last year and thought I was going into shock with the andenaline feeling driving me insane.
    I am supposed to be going on holiday but am a bit afraid now cos of the mosquitoes!!!!!
    Any ideas to keep insects away?Thanx
    RENA UK

2. loriRn

loriRn New Member

So sorry, be careful, keep a good eye on that. If it does'nt get better by Monday, or it gets worse, you may need oral antibiotics.

As far as what to use to keep them away, I'm not sure. It seems like we react so to chemicals,have you tried the stuff they sell? My dad used to take garlic pills to keep mosquitos away, and it worked for him. Good luck, and take care,Love Lori.
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

that it is a mosquito bite? It really sounds more like a spider.

Whatever it is, try soaking it in a H O T epsom salt solution. Epsom salt is very good at drawing out infection. If it is too high up on your leg to conveniently soak, use a hot pack and keep rinsing the pad with the hot solution.

Call your doctor if it is not improved by Monday or if you notice any swelling in your lymph nodes.

Kate
  4. LynneH

LynneH New Member

Do they have brown recluse spiders where you are? It sounds like more than just a benign spider bite.

Avon skin-so-soft is great for repelling mosquitos.

5. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

I've had good luck with bites and infections with zinc oxide. It comes in a tube. You can get it at any drug store, pharmacy. I slather on the zinc oxide on the bite, infection site, boo, boo, whatever, and then cover it up with gauze and a bandage. Usually by the next day it's tons better.

I'm allergic to bees, last year I got bit, usual major swelling and redness immediately. I put on the zinc oxide, within a half hour you wouldn't even have known I was bitten.

I'd give that a try.

Gamt,

Check out Mercolas recent report on web. Just go to Mercola's web site, then in his search portion type in cinnamon oil. He gives a very good account of dangers of mosquito repellants and says this cinnamon oil is very good at not only repelling the little buggers but killing them.

Also, probably a little late now, but if you start eating garlic like say in February next year, grate the raw stuff and use it in soups, salads, etc., it makes your blood not taste so good. Also, you can't smell it but the mosquitos can, the smell of garlic on your body that is eliminated through your skin, and they won't even light on you.

Works great, good for the pets, too !!!

Sbilek
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2004]
  6. Dree

Dree New Member

Windex (glass cleaner) helps keep the bugs away!...
    I would definately have this checked out though, if it continues to swell. I had a friend that got "bit" by a brown recluse on her inner thigh. Started out alot like how you are describing yours. The infection spread and she had to go in daily for IV antibiotic's for about a week....Plus a spider bite (recluse) will leave a large hole...
    I swell and get blisters from mosquito bites, ant bites, etc....that don't typically last very long...OTC antibiotic creams work pretty well for me...
    Hope this clears up for you...and don't forget to try the windex. Curious to know if it helps others..
    Warmest hugs
    Dree
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

To avoid being bitten, eat plenty of foods with garlic in them. The bugs won't come near you :)

Also if you can stand the smell, try 'AVON'S' Skin so Soft. Even I won't come near you :)

For that bit you already have, get some real Apple Cider Vinegar, keep bathing the bit in it. It will draw out the venom.

Acesnanna told me about this last year when I was bit over 20 times by an Asian spider. I though I was going to die I was so sick. But the vinegar drew out the poison and I made it.

I keep a bottle of it on the counter here, I live in Lousiana and if you can think of a bug, mosquito,etc. we have them. I even use it on my dogs if they get bit by ants, mosquitoes, or any other bug. Its wonderful.

The brand we get here is 'Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. Great stuff!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I appreciate all the replies ive had about this yukky bite!
    It is still very sore but i will keep using the cream .If it does not heal i will go back to docs.
    I will get all the things you have all suggested.

Shirl.I LOVE GARLIC!!
    Aways eat it yummy.
    I am going to send hubby out for apple cider vinegar......ill order S-S-S- from avon(even if it is sickly smelling)....ill get zinc oxide cream and cinnamon oil..and window cleaner stuff for my hubby lol!!

Seriously though I am terrified of infections cos I had bad time 6 years ago when I had an op and the pain made me want to die.So I will be taking everyones advice and hopefully ill NEVER get bit agin with all the smells of all the stuff ill be wearing on my body!!!

Thanx
    RENA UK
  9. jolly

jolly New Member

Take a regular bottle of alcohol, add one of those little green bottles of campho-phenique andd 30 cheap, uncoated aspirin. Let the aspirin dissolve and always shake before using. The longer you let this mixture sit on the infected spot, the quicker and more efficiently it will work. But with some things, such as spider bites or staph, it will take 3 to 4 weeks.

We've used this remedy for over 20 years, and passed it on to many friends..it's worked for them, too. It's an extremely drying agent. I always advise covering your hand with a rubber glove when applying because it will completely dry the top layer of skin off your hand.

I have a friend who was bitten several times by a recluse on her forearm. She didn't want to go the hospital because she knew they would just cut out all the surrounding tissue and leave gaping holes in her arms. We saw this a few years back with another friend. She went through 2 or 3 bottles of this stuff and came out fine.

Just remember that the longer you hold the mixture to your wound, the faster it will work. An old man told me this mixture about 30 years ago when I had 3 nasty spider bites on my arm. They were weeping and looked pretty gross. It dried them up quickly.
  10. jolly

jolly New Member

I read the coolest method of keeping mosquitoes away in the Austin paper the other day. Rub lime juice on you. Haven't tried it, so let us know??
  11. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Boy, some good suggestions here. Will add these to my medicine chest list. I hate going to the doctors, too.

0909, if your bite does continue to get worse, I would go back to the docs ASAP, just in case it is brown recluse.

Those little buggers are deadly, nothing to fool around with.

sbilek
  12. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Puddleglum, hope above info helps you out.

Sbilek
  13. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi, I hope its not a deer tick, flea, etc. bite that is infected with Lyme Disease. I have Chronic LD for 10 yrs now which led to CFIDS, FM, MCS etc. It cant hurt to check it out because if caught early and treated with oral antibiotics properly, it can be cured. Good Luck.