Infertility and FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DDKath, Sep 26, 2005.

1. DDKath

DDKath New Member

I was just wondering if anyone else is struggling with infertility as a result of FM. My husband and I have been trying for almost 2 years now and after 3 failed IUI's and 1 failed IVF we are looking for more answers than our current diagnosis "unexplained infertility". I'm not sure how FM would affect fertility except that it would cause more anxiety and stress which could result in infertility. I'm really not sure. I was diagnosed with Lyme in 2002 and shortly after that my Dr. diagnosed me with FM.

Anyone have anything to share?

Gentle Hugs.
    Dawn
  2. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

It sounds all so familiar. We did 5 IUIs after a few months of Clomid. The doctor was stumped. My husbands sperm looked fine and so did I. The first IVF we found that the sperm and eggs just would not get together. They did a rescue ICSI (where the sperm is injected into the egg with a glass needle) after 24 hours had not produced any embryos, but to no avail. We had 2 very poor embryos to transfer. I forced myself to do one more IVF and here we are with triplets!!! They did ICSI on the first try. I'm wondering if the FM plays any role in the shell of the egg or causes some other problem. I don't know. The sperm just fought hard for 24 hours but couldn't do the job and then died away. We felt at that point it was more of a male issue, but they have never been sure. Don't let my triplets worry you if you do IVF again though. There's overall less than a 5% chance of triplets with all ART procedures including IVF.

Good luck to you. If you need another place to talk try www.inciid.org. They have wonderful forums for discussion. It's a little hard to find the forums and where to sign up, but it's worth the effort.

Take care.

Heidi
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]
  3. florenceb

florenceb New Member

While searching for answers to my unrelenting chronic fatigue I joined this board....

I was FINALLY diagnosed with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroid Disease last year. Finally, a dr who checked my thyroid antibodies! Told by a dozen drs before that- my levels were fine.

I am a member of a thyroid group and hear ALL the time about women who failed to conceive years back because they were UNdiagnosed also.

If you are familiar with Dr Lowe, he treats FM pts with thyroid meds. I have seen lots of info about the connection of FM and thyroid disease.

FWIW- I would have my thyroid levels checked: TSH; antibodies (thyroid peroxidase (TPO); or microsomal); FREE T4 and FREE T3.....It is rather difficult to find a dr to check FREE T3....the TSH is rather unreliable if you have Hashimoto's Disease...But if u check your antibodies at least you will know if you even have a thyroid disease.

I never had a goiter or nodules; TSH was always close to 4.0. BUT my body temp was always low and so was my blood pressure......I have a 20 yr old son....we tried for another with no luck......All the best, Florence
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]