Info about Guaifensin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wildcatmom, Jan 25, 2006.

1. wildcatmom

wildcatmom New Member

Hi everyone

I am new to the message boards. I was wanting info on how to take guaifensin. I have read to start with the lowest dose 2x a day and move up from there to I now its working. But my questions are do they come in different mg and if so what name or brand? Also how long to you know if it working, like I start with the low dose how long do I stay on it before I know its not working?
    Sorry I hope I am making sense.
    Thanks
    Wildcatmom
  2. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I've been on the Guai protocol for a few years now. Here's what I found:

First and foremost, I bought the book "What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by R. Paul St. Amand and Claudia Craig Marek (ISBN 0-446-67512-1) It explains all that you'd want to know.

Mucinex (OTC - available many places including Walmart and other discount stores, drug stores, etc), has blue dyed tablets 600 mg, doesn't work for me. Any Guai with a blue dye hasn't helped me at all, even prescription ones (before it became OTC). I use only "dye free" and have only found it readily available through ProHealth (this is not a paid advertisement!). Their dye free also have a pleasant vanilla tasting coating (not strong). They come in 400 mg (fast acting) strength. Also, it must be ONLY Guai and no other active ingredient, such as the way it's found in cough and cold meds/syrups.

I believe you can take up to 1200mg per day (2 of the 600mg which seem to all be blue OR 3 400mg per day). I take 1 400 mg in the morning and 1 in the evening. Not sure where the book recommends you start.

Also, there is a warning the book that taking Guai MAY make you feel worse initially. I did not experience that. Hopefully you won't either.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I also can't take the blue dye in the Mucinex. I buy my Guai here. I take the fast acting type but others do better on the long acting. We are all different. BTW, the Mucinex is more expensive than the other two.

I started out with 300 mgs. twice a day and cycled just as the book said I would. I had been sick a long time and kept increasing my dose until I was at 1200 mgs. twice a day. Now, I am about 90 percent reversed so I only take 400 mgs. twice a day. This is slightly above the maintenance dose.

I agree that one needs to have the book and be sal free before starting. If you are especially sensitive to meds, you can start out at less than the 300 mgs. twice a day and work up. If you don't cycle with a Guai flare in a week, increase the dose until you do. At least 80 percent of the Guai users cycle at 300 mgs. twice a day.

After you get the hang of it, you can increase or decrease the dose, depending on your needs. That is the beauty of the treatment.

Love, Mikie
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Is the pro health pill smaller? The Mucinex was so large and said Take whole, I could not swallow it. I can only swallow small pills as I choke. Ideas? Also I just read label on Robotussin Chest congestion and only ingredient is 100 mg per teasp. of guaifenisin and the usual carriers of corn syrup. As I have so much trouble with pills, could I take this? Adult dose is 400mg every four hours. Hoping for quick reply as my fatigue is sooooo bad I can hardly stay awake.
    Crom
  5. Melinie

Melinie New Member

There is a book about the products and where to order it, how much to take, and what products that you cannot use. It is What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Fibromyalgia. By Dr. Amand
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can cut the pills into as small as you need in order to get them down. You could crush them and put them into liquid as well.

Love, Mikie
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Do you mean the Mucinex? Or the pro health ones. I had prescription ones that were huge, like dime sized, and really crumbly and pharmacist said never to crush them. I threw them away. Can you answer really fast? Why would the guai in Robotussin not work? Really interested as the fatigue etc is really getting to me.

Crom
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Can be crushed. You can cut the long acting ones into smaller pieces. Mucinex can be cut too. Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Your correct starting dosage is 300mg twice a day for the first week(the 400mg tablets sold here snap easily in half, so you might be better taking 200mg three times a day). You need to work up to the dosage that makes your symptoms tolerably worse. This differs from person to person. Not all Guai will work; you must use a recommended brand such as the ones sold here.

I believe that Dr St Amand is now recomending that doses up to 1200mg a day are taken as long acting tablets, & anything above that taken as short acting.

Dr St Amand has an updated version of his book 'What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia fatigue' coming out on March 2nd, if you can wait until then. He is constantly refining his treatment. You can get up to date information, & have your questions answered, on the Guai Group message board. It is essential to follow the book to the letter.

You will find a list of salicylate free toiletries & dental products on the Guai Group website. Alternatively, you can buy specially made products at several on-line sites, including the Marina del Ray pharmacy.

Remember that asprin, mint & herbal remedies will stop the Gaui from working.

10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

mIKIE, THAT IS A HELP. aLSO THE OTHER POST ON MINT AND ASPRIN AFFECTING THE PROTOCOL AS i LOVE MINT(THE HERB) AND USE IT A LOT SO WILL NOT TAKE THAT.cROM
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You really need the book. It lists the 1,000 most common sals which can block the Guai. Good luck.

Love, Mikie