Info/Advice NeededNew Med Ultram

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, Aug 5, 2008.

1. steach

steach Member

Hi Friends-

I have to admit that I'm afraid to take this new medication- my body doesn't tolerate meds very well.

I saw my doc yesterday and he changed my pain med from 5mg Percocet 4x a day to 50mg Ultram 2x a day. I have been having alot more wide-spread pain, even in my hands, wrists, knees, and ankles lately. I also have a family history of RA.

From what I have read on the internet, this is not a good medication if it is combined with SSRI's (antidepressants) due to risk of seizures. I take 30mg Cymbalta and 40mg Paxil.

Have any of you taken this med before? Did it help? Is there anything else that I should know about this med?

2. Cherish1974

Cherish1974 New Member

I didn't know about the risk of seizures but I take 90 mg. of Cymbalta a day and Ultram up to 3X daily as needed (50mg). I'll have to read up on that more.
  3. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

i have been taking ultram for about 1 1/2 years. i am also taking cymbalta and elavil. I haven't had any problems so far. My dr told me i could take it every 6 hours. i also take vicodin and skelaxin for pain. recently my dr changed the regular ultram to the ultram er - which is 1 pill every 24 hrs. i like it alot better i take so many pills one less to remember i have a lot of break through pain. It does cost more so not sure how long i will use it! one more thing ultram is not as hard on your liver etc as other pain pills not narcotic. i hope i helped some!
  4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I started on elavil in early June and am at 75mg that I take at night.

I also take ultram as needed for pain. I did find that with the ultram it tends to make me a little dizzy if I take the whole tablet so sometimes if my pain is just starting I will try just 1/2 a tablet and I feel more comfortable with driving then. Depending on my pain I may have to take the other half the tablet fairly quickly but sometimes 1/2 does the trick, just depends on the day, minute or hour. :)

I've also found that if I take the ultra at night before bed and the elavil I sleep better at night.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

gentle hugs, Susan
  5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I took ultram for one week and each day my jaw got tighter until I felt like I was strangling. I looked it up in Dr. Starylayl's book and jaw tightness was a rather obscure problem.

If you type ultram in the search bar you should find a plethora of information.
  6. msSusan

msSusan Member

I occasionally take 50-100mg of Ultram before noontime to give me some enery but it makes me too hyper. I don't notice any pain relief either just hyper enough to get some things done.

It also makes it hard for me to sleep even with just a.m. dose.
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Just wondering why your doctor switched you from Percocet to Ultram? It is much less potent. Were you looking for more relief or to get you off Percocet?
    I took Ultram for a very short time - didn't do a thing for me. I do know that Flexiril is not advised to take along with it.
    I use = they have a drug interaction checker.
    I also agree - TALK with your pharmacist.

Anything else to know- I know that when I researched it, people thought it was just as hard to get off of as some of the hardcore narcotics. I personally didn't have any problem at all, but some people do. Like everything else, some people do very well on this medication, some it doesn't help much. (me)
  8. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

was yhe first med I was put on after being dx. It didn't do a thing! and it is much less potent than what you were taking. I too have chemical sensitivities but ultrum might as well of been IBprofen for me.

Pay very close atention and don't hesitate to call your Dr after a week. Mine pushed and pushed me to try it a little longer until I had a flare so bad that I am now stuck and he droped me as a patient because I needed more attention to pain.

it is so hard but we must be our own advocates and listen to our bodies. good luck!
  9. simonedb

simonedb Member

It did help my pain but it turned around my sleep schedule and I don't tolerate well stuff that has some ssri type properties like it does. i also looked embarrassingly high on it for some reason.
    why is your doc changing you? they don't want to prescribe opioids?
  10. poets

poets Member

I've never taken Ultram before. My niece took it and accidently overdosed. She died at age 30. I'm not trying to scare you, but her doctor had told her it wasn't a narcotic and I guess she wasn't as careful as she should have been.

I always go to RXList and look up medications. It covers everything. Ultram does have a number of contraindications and warnings.

Guess what I'm saying is please be careful.

11. tandy

tandy New Member

Hows it going?
    Tandy here :)

yea,... ultram hardly touched my fibro pain.
    I still get scripts and take it on occasion,... hoping it'll one day KICK in? but no.
    Although its worth trying because I've heard of alot of us here take it with luck at relieving some pain~ did'nt do much for me sadly.
    Percs are way stronger/better.

I read the same, in fact right on my printout from the pharmacy it says that ultram should not be used combined with SSRI's.
    I even asked about that because at the time I was taking elavil. My dr. said in all his yrs practicing he has yet to find anyone have a problem mixing the 2.

(yea,.. I thought that was kinda crazy) what?? so we wait till someone croaks or has a seizure than we stop prescribing the 2 meds together???
    when the warnings are clearly there for a reason.

I hardly ever take mine. (ultram)
    in fact,... I stopped the elavil too.
    as that did nothing for me either.
    ok,.. I went on and on as usual. lol
  12. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

I take Ultram 50mg every 5 hrs., Mobic, and Cymbalta everyday. I also take tylenol every 4 hrs. I have no problems. It does help somewhat with the pain but not too much. I also have a pretty good tolerance for meds though.
  13. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I take it every day (ultram) and prefer the less sedating feeling than being on percocet. If I take it with aspirin or tylenol it works better. Tramadol has tylenol in it so make sure you know which one you have. I prefer not to take tylenol constantly. I do have percocet as needed it seems to make me too sleepy. I feel like I can drive if I take one ultram but if the pain gets bad I have to really start loading up to the max dose.
  14. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I hope that it works for you because it didn't help ease my pain at all. Made me feel sick and lousy for hours afer taking it. It made my Mom out of control. She cried and was so out of it. Don't know if it was the ultram or the surgery she had just had but when she was taken off it she was more alert.
    If you asked me I would have stayed with teh perocet.
    But that is just how I feel some people say that it has helped them so much.
  15. steach

steach Member

I appreciate your info about this new med. I'm not sure why the doc switched it. I took it for one day and was sooo nauseated and running to the bathroom. I called the doc's office yesterday and haven't heard a thing back from them. The nurse told me this med is not supposed to cause these symptoms! I explained to her that I am very sensitive to meds and my body doesn't tolerate them well.

Even when my blood pressure med was changed (due to insurance), I was sooo sick that I called the office and told them I would pay full price for the old one if I had to- just put me back on it. Thank goodness the doc has been giving me samples. Now, I don't even have any insurance.

Don't know what to do.

Thanks again, everyone-