info on flares

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ourlife, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ourlife

ourlife New Member

I have been diagnosed with Fibro/CFS about 6 months ago. Here lately i have felt pretty good...still have pain but nothing near what it used to be or the fatigue. HOw often do some of you have flares and how can i tell if i'm having one?
  2. loto

loto Member

Hi, I was diagnosed with Fibor last May. I don't know how often flares occur, but I know I'm in the middle of one now (really for the past couple of weeks) because the "old" aches and pains have returned. I'm talking about the ones I used to feel before I was diagnosed and doubled my Cymbalta dosage. So, I don't know how often flare-ups occur. I have been under more stress lately, also, so maybe that has something to do with it??

loto
  3. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I'm sorry you have been diagnosed with this dd. It's not easy.

I think flares come and go differently for most of us. I think it's important to stay active (excercise, yoga, etc.) and keep our minds working. I had 6 months of complete remission once and it was wonderful. (It came after my hysterectomy - I had three weeks of pure rest and presto, I felt good again.) It was wonderful while it lasted.

I can go three to four weeks feeling pretty good. During that time I've notice I stick to my schedule very strictly. When I flare is after about three weeks of feeling good, I start to act like my old self before this dd. Then, my body reminds me for about a good week or week and half that it needs the strict schedule. :)

Even during the flares I am able to work with the help of medication... It's tough and the severe fatigue that comes with it is indescribable.

Good luck...

Wendysj
  4. ourlife

ourlife New Member

thanks so much. I was in terrible pain and the fatigue was crazy when i was diagnosed. That lasted a few weeks and now i have been feeling pretty good for about a month. I still have some pain but it's tolerable without taking all of my meds. I'm not as tired although people tell me how tired i look all the time. so i guess i'll know when I start to flare. This is the craziest disease...i never know how i'm goign to feel from one day to the next so it's hard to plan anything. today i am having more pain in my arms and stomach than normal so i hope that's not a flare coming on. My husband will never understand...he thinks i'm all better.
  5. cmt49829

cmt49829 New Member

when you are having a bad flare up, you WILL know.
    for me it's like someone beat the daylights outta me and I havent slept for a week.
    some days it even hurts to bend my fingers.