info on l-theanine or sun theanine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat0465, Mar 14, 2009.

1. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i read this supp helps with anxiety and depression?? i recently bought some but havent tried it yet. anyone out there have any expeirence with it? i am on xanax and vicodin. i bought it hoping i could cut back on the xanax and do something more natural for my anxiety.
    thanks, Kat
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

My doctor suggested theanine I just orderd some from Swanson's, I do hope it helps as I also take xanax and would like to cut back so hoping the theanine will help. I will let you know, mine shoud have already been here as it was shipped three days ago.

This darn anxiety is the pits.. the darn dd is bad enough then add the anxiety to it is misery. Do you mind telling me how much xanax you take and how often. I take xanax daily .25 three to four times a day, there are times I feel I need more.

Please let me know if you try theanine as I will do the same.

God Bless,
    gg
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2009]
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

My Dr wants me to take L-theanine 100mg 3x/day and 5 HTP 100 mg 3 x/day to help with sleep.

He says that combo can help in as little as 3 days. If it is used to help with sleep than I think it would work as an anti-anxiety agent.

I think it is helping me a little with sleep. Some nights are better than others.
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

for all the info! Jam, whats the Inositol do?? i regularly take grapeseed,coq10, and have now added hawthorn(for heart palps) and am trying resveratrol. trying to go slow on introducing new supplements so i can tell if i have a problem with any of them

Gran, i too am on .25 of Xanax 3X a day, but feel like i need more at times, thats why i am going to try the l-theanine first, id' rather take a natural supplement than go up on the hard stuff, although i wont hesitate to if i need it and the supplement dosen't work for me, but i want to try the natural things first. With all the talk about the Lyrica bull going on, it's scary to take new scripts, you never know if they will make you sicker or even kill you!! scary.

Keep me posted Gran, and i'll do the same. i started with 100 mg of l-theanine tonite, and in a couple days will try it twice a day & go from there.

{{Hugs}} Kat
  5. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Inositol increases Serotonin. I still have not found the connection to GABA but I heard several people say that it increases GABA.
  6. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I'm going to be the negative one here... At my doctor's suggestion I tried L-theanine for a week (100 mg 3x day). I felt it actually made me more agitated, so I stopped. Maybe it was the Valcyte herx and had nothing to do with the L-theanine, but I'm reluctant to try again.
  7. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

no doc recomended either, the only one my doc recomended to me is coq10, and calcium & Mag.

i have been reading on resveratrol and decided to try it. it was on sale from swansons. i had ran out of my grapeseed but bought some of that too, i am going to try the resveratrol & see if its different for me than the Grapeseed.

Your right, either or im thinking too as they do the same thing, or at least are both anti oxidants.

i also bought a Juicer, im just at the end of my rope grasping at anything that will make a difference, i just want to feel better so bad. But don't wan't alll those heavy duty scripts.
    thanks, Kat
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2009]
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

have you tried the theanine yet, if so how is it going. Mine hasn't arrived so I called the company and it should be here by tomorrow . Keep me posted.

Thanks,
    gg
  9. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

I started the suntheanine about 3 days ago, and im starting to tell a difference. yesterday i noticed that i missed my second dose of xanax.Usually it's hard to make it 4 hours in between pills, although i usually just take a half unless it's a really bad day or im upset about something. But yesterday i took my morning half with the rest of the supps i take, and i didn't have that nervous jittery feeling till about 3;30 or 4. so i took another suntheanine and it helped for about an hour or so, then i felt the anxiety coming back so i popped a half of a xanax. then at bedtime i took my usual .25 xanax and a suntheanine.
    so yesterday was a 2 day xanax day instead of a 3. and that hasent happened in a looong while!!! sometimes i have to go over the 3 but rarely.
    so something is different, and it's got to be the suntheanine.the only new supp im taking besides that is Royal Jelly.
    did you order yours from Swansons?? thats where i got mine at,Hopefully it will be there soon!!
    also, i didnt get any funky side effects, which is a major plus. Like you, i never know what a med or a supplement is gonna do.but so far so good :)
    keep me posted, good luck

Also,something i had been trying for sleep was an over the counter med called " Sleep MD" you can get it anywhere, and it's cheap and all natural.it has been working wonders for my sleep. i ran out almost a week ago, and i can really tell a difference in my sleep.so as soon as i can get to walmart, im gonna get some more of that too! i know it has melatonin in it along with other natural things for sleep.
    Just thought i'd give a heads up on this, it's helped me a lot
    {{Hugs}} Kat
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2009]
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

So happy to hear that the theanine seems to be working..I still haven't recieved mine. I will look for the "Sleep MD" at wal-mart, what brand is it ,do I look for it in the supplement section.
    Please keep me posted. Its wonderful to hear there were no side effects, I am so scared of meds..Is suntheanine the same as theanine cause theanine is what I ordered.

Thanks for your help,
    gg
  11. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

the Sleep MD is usually in the Pharmacy section, like where all the tylenol is and stuff. the Brand is MD, it's in a tall Box, they also make a Heartburn MD and some other things MD too. i like them cause thier all Natural, the Heartburn one works pretty good also.

To be honest i don't know what the difference between suntheanine L- Theanine VS the L-Theanine is. i did get mine from swansons tho.and it took about a week to get my supps in,i was not happy cause i paid for the 3 day shipping.

Maybe Jam would know what the difference is between the two.

I am also Scared of meds, thats the reason i don't take AD's although i need something for the depression. But it seems the depression comes & goes pretty easy, but the Anxiety is a whole different story. I have a harder time getting past it.

Hopefully the theanine will help the depression a little bit also. I just try to take this crud one day at a time, if i think too much thats when i lose it!i have come to the realization that some days i won't be able to function, and other day's will be a little better.

It's not the life i Imagined, but hey I'm here. Guess that will have to be enough until they can fix us.

Hope your feeling better soon Gran, try the sleep MD, and hopefully the Theanine will help ya. Love, Kat
  12. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i too tried SaMe a couple years ago, and i didnt get any relief either. maybe cause of the low dose also. i bought mine from prohealth, it wasent sealed, but i did have to refrigerate it.
    if the suntheanine dosen't help the depressed feeling i may try the saMe again at a much higher dose.... No AD"S for me!
    But after being on the suntheanine, i can even tell a little difference in my depression.
    by the way Jam, whats the difference in L-theanine and Suntheanine??
    Gran asked me & i don't have a clue.
    {{Hugs}} Kat
  13. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

it is pricey for sure,and i take handfulls of supps a day as it is.But it may be worth a try for a couple months. i have already decided im NOT going on AD's. too many side effects.

thanks for clearing up the suntheanine thing too :) Gran & I didn't have a clue. But i can say the suntheanine has made a difference in my anxiety, i took a half of xanax when i got up this morning, and now its 3:30 and im not having that anxious jittery feeling. so YEA!! something is workin :)

And, Maybe a slight difference in my Depression too, time will tell.
    Thanks, Kat