Info on legal representation for SSI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Takesha, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Takesha

Takesha New Member

For those of you who are seeking help for filing for SSI disability please do a search for Disability Advocacy Clinic. This is the clinic I use and it covers New Mexico and Texas. If you are not from these areas there is a link which gives info on how to find help in your area. I hope this helps.
    Takesha
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I was told that if you have to go to trial, they can't do it. You then have to find a lawyer and many lawyers won't take your case at that point. I'm sure there are exceptions to both.
  3. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I'm glad you posted that fact, and you are absolutely right.The paralegals cannot represent you if you go to trial and that's an important consideration when you use these clinics. The Disability Advocacy clinic site does have a link to NOSSCR (can't remember what that stand for) that has a phone number for attornerys in differnt states. I hope that may be a bit of useful info to someone. Again, thank you for adding the info about the paralegals. I had just forgotten to mention it and it is important

Takesha
  4. UmiBear

UmiBear New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of filing my appeal for SS Disability, so this info is timely. Thanks for sharing.

Umibear
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Is the National Association of Social Security Claimants Representatives. (I have it written down and actually found the paper. :)

My attorney in Portland suggested I find an attorny who's a member of NASSCR when I moved to North Dakota. The only two members are in Fargo, and all hearings would be in Bismarck. Since Bismarck is 150 miles from me and Fargo is an additional 200 miles, my uncle (a tax attorney here) suggested I not go with one of the NASSCR guys.

I'm not sure his suggestion was a good one, except that it saves me paying them for travel....