Information on antifungal medication re candida with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by focusongoal, Oct 23, 2006.

1. focusongoal

focusongoal New Member

Hello to all! I'm about to begin taking Fluconazole (generic for diflucan) 200MG tablets. Is there anyone out there with experience taking fluconazole or diflucan for candida/yeast/fungal infection for 30 days or more? I'm concerned about dieoff symptoms. In particular ~ how soon after beginning this med does dieoff begin and what symptoms normally occur with dieoff. I realize everyone is different with this sort of thing, but I'd feel better knowing what some other people may have experienced so I would have some idea what to expect.
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have been on antifungals for a long time. Both diflucan and the more natural remedies.

Be prepared for some die off real soon. It varies by individual and by how severe your infection may be, but for me it started pretty quickly. There are things you can do to help. Keep your bowels moving. This is very important because you want to get rid of the toxins in the die off. You can also take detox baths with a cup of sea salt or epson salt to help remove toxins. Soak in hot water for at least 2o minutes. The idea is to sweat the toxins out. Then shower and rinse off the toxins from your skin.

There is a candida board here, but it moves very slowly. You can do a search on this board or the candida board for info.

Good luck!!

Update- you asked for symptoms of die off. For me my candida symptoms were magnified, I was extremly tired and felt like I was going to die! I felt this way for about 10 days and then slowly felt better. After about a month I felt a lot better I assume because I killed a lot of yeast. I stayed on the diet and herbal supplements for another 4 months and then went back on diflucan for another 2 months. I am now back on diflucan again due to an active pnemonia infection and needed to be on antibiotics. In addition to the diflucan I alternate herbal antifungals, grapefruit seed extract, Pau d arco, uva ursi and garlic. I change these every t5 to 7 days to try to avoid resistance to any one antifungal. [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2006]
  3. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I have been on Fluconazole (Diflucan) for two weeks now with very little if any problems. I am also on Doxy and Valtrex and Transfer Factor. I was expecting to be very ill but that has not happened. Wondering myself if its working. LOL Good luck to you and hoping to see more responces here. Keep us updated. Love, Debbie
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I was on Diflucan (100 mg) to treat a sinus infection. Recently I went back on it another month. I actually didn't have any die-off reaction from it, even though I have a lot of die-off from other anti-yeast stuff.

It's my impression that yeast can become resistant to Diflucan, though. I've been thinking a lot about Diflucan recently, and I think if I were going to go on it long-term again, I would continue to use a variety of other substances (prescription and non-prescription) to kill the yeast. Hopefully that would keep some other resistant strain from taking over, while minimizing die-off (since most of the yeast would be being killed by the Diflucan).

Whoever prescribed the Diflucan for you may have a specific goal in mind, though. Probably you should ask him/her first.