Infrared Saunas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Sep 28, 2005.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Has anyone had much success with this kind of sauna therapy? And does anyone know where one could find a far infrared sauna in the Chicago area?
    Tnx
    delia
  2. gottagetbetter

gottagetbetter New Member

We purchased an infrared sauna on ebay and I can honestly say its one of the best investments we have made with this DD. Totally makes me feel awesome!!

~P
  3. rt6176

rt6176 New Member

Delia,

I purchased my infrared sauna off of ebay 2 years ago for 300 dollars with shipping. Its the type with panels and floor mat. It does requires an hour of time commitment to get the best benefit.

Good Luck,

RJay
  4. pamj

pamj New Member

I LOVE IT...I bought a Heavenly Heat sauna 3 months ago, after using one in my doctor's office for the past 2 years.

It definitely helps for many reasons... it increases my blood pressure, improves circulation, helps to sweat out toxins, induces a fever to help fight the virus, and provides sort of a "workout" for my body since I don't get any exercise. I feel very energetic after using it. I was using it at the docs once a week, so I bought one so I can use it at home 2-3 times a week.

I bought it from the company in California and had it shipped to me in Massachusetts. I think most people do it this way. It would be pretty hard to find a dealer where you could buy it from a showroom. Also, each sauna is made to your specifications...i.e. glass panels or wood, what size, on wheels or not, lights or stereo speakers, etc...

The other important thing about Heavenly Heat is that they use poplar, which my doctor prefers over the other woods. People can have bad reactions to certain woods. You need to make sure it's very clean & hypoallergenic.

I don't know much about the portable saunas, like the folding ones. I think it's more comfortable using a full size one. Mine seats two people, side by side on a bench. My husband likes to use it too. He is a healthy person, but he says it makes him more energetic too.

The temp only has to be about 120-140 since the panels behind your back radiate the heat into you & you sweat really good. We find that 20 minutes is our limit, and my doc doesn't recommend any longer than that.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Pam
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

how big are your saunas? Did you install them inside your homes or in the yard ? And what kind of maintenance is involved?
    Cheers
    Delia
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

I spoke to a lady yesterday who was able to help her daughter recover from CFS. (I started a thread about her treatment today.) A big part of her treatment was the far infrared sauna. She recommends the Sunlight Sauna which is based in Kansas. I talked to the lady at that company today and she is very helpful.

Their wooden ones are made of basswood which my doctor recommends because it is hypoallergenic.

The one that this lady and her family uses is a solo sauna - you can put it on the floor or on the bed and lie down inside it. I am seriously considering buying one. My doctor has been recommending them for years to eliminate toxins and clean out the liver.

It is supposed to help with blood pressure problems, viruses and a variety of other health issues.

Pepper
  7. pamj

pamj New Member

we set it up in our office, (you screw the wall panels to the floor panel & screw on the roof panel...the heat box & infrared panels are already wired in). It's about the size of a closet & it fits nicely in a corner of the room. It is completely made of wood, with full glass panel on the door. The bench can seat 2 people comfortably, or one person sitting lengthwise on the bench with your legs stretched out.

As far as maintenance goes, there isn't any. We keep a towel on the floor, and sit on a towel on the bench to keep the unit clean.

It's also best to have a small towel or two with you to wipe off the sweat during your session. Also important to have a bottle of water to drink. I also take a tupperware bowl of cold water & facecloth to keep putting the cool cloth on my forehead & neck.

I definitely prefer the free-standing unit as opposed to the solo sauna, which is basically an enclosed tube you have to lie down inside. It reminds me of a MRI machine... too claustrophobic for me! I like to move around, stretch out, keep drinking & I also use a dry brush while I'm in there to help improve circulation. I wouln't be able to do any of that in the 'solo'. I also don't like lying down because I feel like too much blood goes to my head & I already get a red face when I'm in there.

If space is an issue, perhaps you could fit one in the basement or garage? I don't think it's a good idea to have it exposed to the outside. It's best to keep the wood untreated & clean for health reasons.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pam
  8. pamj

pamj New Member

bump for deliarose...
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

I really appreciate that information as I am considering buying one and need all the info I can get.

Bumping for deliarose.
    Pepper