Initial onset of Fibro following discontinuation of SSRI therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jbc66, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jbc66

jbc66 New Member

I first got sick nearly 10 years ago. It followed my discontinuing four years of therapy on SSRIs. I'd never had any fibro symptoms until about four months after I stopped taking these pills.

After six months of struggling wiht debilitating illness (and tests to rule out Lupus, AIDS, MS) I started taking low doses of doxepin to stop the burning pain. This helped for years with only occasional flare ups. Then a few years ago, I decided to give SSRIs a try again following the birth of my son. Finally went of them a few months ago and suddenly am having a bad fibro relapse. Lots of burning pain.

This all got me thinking. Did the long term use of SSRIs cause some molecular changes in my brain that increased the propensity for fibro pain. Just wondering if any of you first experienced fibro pain following a long term prescription of SSRI's -- where you took either Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft et al. for more than a year.
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I experienced a spectacular relapse of ME following a disastrous 3 year trial of SSRIs taken to address fatigue (I was not depressed) which had been, prior to SSRIs, manageable enough that I could drag myself through a really exciting life. I became, and remain, disabled since that time.

I think you may be on to something.

Peace out,
  3. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Many doctors treat fibro with SSRI's because in certain people the anti-dep helps with pain in the body. It has to do with the flow of serotonin in the brain. When you stop the SSRI - the serotonin stops flowing and you again feel the pain. This is why Cymbalta is now being approved for Fibromyalgia as well as depression.

It's like if you take high blood pressure meds every day and then stop - eventually your blood pressure is going to shoot back up.

Why did you go off the SSRI's a few months ago? Just curious.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Welcome to the board!!!

Did you post something on Trazedone a couple of days ago?

5. simonedb

simonedb Member

a lot of stuff went wrong for me before disabled but one thing was taking prozac and I had NO fibro before that, I do think and some docs I have talked to agreed, that it could have messed up my brain chemistry making me more susceptible to fibro.
    i think ssris and snris are devils brew and that everyone would be safer on opiates than that junk.
  6. jbc66

jbc66 New Member

"Did you post something on Trazedone a couple of days ago? "
    No, this was my first post, I joined the board yesterday.
  7. jbc66

jbc66 New Member

Because I have gained 50 pounds since I went back on SSRIs. Before that I was dragging around an additional 70 from the first time I went on them. So at 120 lbs over what I was when I started the drugs, I decided the added physical stress wasn't worth the help I got in terms of anxiety.

Additionally, I retrained my brain through cognitive behavioral therapy and deep breathing exercises so I no longer have anxiety attacks. The SSRIs were never for Fibro, they were always for anxiety. Now I only take doxepin for the fibro pain and to help promote restorative sleep. I didn't have fibro until after I stopped taking SSRIs after four years.

I just finished reading a really interesting book titled "Side Effects" on the billions of dollars drug companies made/make off of SSRIs and how the industry covered up a lot of negative things about the drugs and the duplicity involved in the drug trials when they first came out. While the book itself focuses on the increased risk of suicidal ideation, the fact that those results were whitewashed leads me to believe a lot of other side effects (like extreme weight gain) were left out of initial reports.

Finally, a good friend of mine is a professor of pharmacology and when I told her how long I'd been on SSRIs she was livid. As she said, those drugs were never tested or approved for long term use. She is frustrated that GPs and psychiatrist are so willing to prescribe them long term when nobody has any idea what the long term effects on the brain and the nervous system are. My friend has a PhD in microchemistry and knows her stuff. As an expert and a professor of pharmacy, when she says she has serious misgivings about long term use, I listen.
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

But I noticed CFS started after I discontinued Zoloft

I don't know if it is a coincedence or what

9. simonedb

simonedb Member

I think we have a fascinationg grad school hypothesis or investigative report......