INJURY ABOUT TO HAPPEN -- HOW WOULD YOU RE-ACT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Aug 12, 2005.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

If I witness one of my grandkids about ready to get hurt, I freeze up and stand there and point to the child and say help her or him to whoever is standing around.

Example, my 7 years old granddaughter was riding her new 4 wheeler and she rolled it. Adults and kids were around her and got to her as soon as it happened but here I am, still standing there watching and pointing. And then, gradually make my way over there.

Another example, my daughter and DIL were down at the pond with me with both their kids. My daughters 3 1/2 year old boy (my GS) was pulling on the metal swinging bench down there and it started to tip on him as I was watching. I could've got over there and stopped it but all I said was Hey, help him and pointed to him. She was right next to him but had her back to him and she swung around just as it was falling on him.

Neither of my grandbabies were hurt, thank goodness. And a few more things have happened that I remember reacting to like this. What is going on? Why am I freezing up? I never would have been like this before all my illnesses.

I am starting to freak out about this. I am hoping if I ever come across a life or death situation that I will re-act in a positive manner and not stand there and go DUH DUH HELP

I think the thing that is bothering me most is, so far, there has always been someone there with me. But, I watch my 3 1/2 yr old grandson 2 days during the week by myself. Just today, I told my daughter about the way I feel when injuries are about to happen and I'm sure that she has this running through her head now too.

It really makes me feel about useless if ya know what I mean.

bozey
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but I often wonder how I am going to cope when I do and believe me, I am longing for them.

I just know that I wont be able to hold them, lift them, take care of them because of the continual pain I'm in.

Every time you've pointed to someone for help, there has been someone there.

I'm sure if there wasnt you'd react so I wouldnt worry about it - you're saving yourself from extra pain thats all and you've been able to do it on those occassions.

love
    Rosie
  3. neen85

neen85 New Member

The only thing I can compare it to is a time when I was 4 yrs. into my illness when I was not yet diagnosed with CFS (I really had lyme)and I was trying to work part-time.

My Grandmother and Grandfather lived right across the street,so I would go check on them,then usually go to bed. My Dad came and got me out of bed around 8pm and said my Granny had another heart attack,so I had come to do CPR on her.

I did it right but she did not make it...2nd attack + having diabetic complications.

Lately,I sat an antique glass pitcher on the edge of the counter and my friend yelled that it was falling...I turned and all I could do was watch it. On some occasions,it DOES seem that my reactions are slowed and the message just isn't transmitted from my brain to my muscles.

I wonder how your reaction times would be if you would play a computer game oor the one where you bop the gopher on the head with the foam bat? Something you might try,so you can see if it is just in an emergency situation,or if the reactions are slowed all the way around.
    Daneen
  4. over50

over50 New Member

My grandson was in the hammock and I standing right there gently rocking him,and in a split second..wham, he turned it upside and slammed his little body on the ground.
    I think it just seems like a long time when we go into shock.
    This has left you so much more aware.
    I really think if something were to happen you would be able to respond and do what ever it took to save your grandchild.
    But,if you honestly feel you cant keep him safe,with all different medications,and stuff that goes on with us.
    Maybe you and your daughter can come up with a new plan.
    Grand kids are so much fun,and yes they just drain me.It just makes me smile everytime I think of them.
    Linda
  5. bozey

bozey New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. Well sorta, cause it's not a good thing but at least I feel I'm not alone. I think maybe you are right in that if I was alone, I would respond appropiately. It just bothers me that I'm NOT how I used to be. Just another stupid thing to have to let into my life and live by it's rules.

Ughhhhh. bozey
  6. bozey

bozey New Member

I guess I'll have to check into this a little deeper.

Thanks

bozey