Innocuous Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Svette_Palme, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

When the doctors talk to Fibro patients, they never fail to mention that the Fibro pains are "innocuous" [or whatever that word was that my doc used this week] - meaning that the pains are not doing damage like the pains from trauma etc.

I don't think the line is that clear though. For one thing, if I just ignore the pains that start up in my legs when I am walking then those pains will grow and grow, and they will last longer after I get home and am at rest again. At the first sign of cramps or other pains, I stop and rub it a bit, and then walk home very carefully and slowly, maybe stopping to stretch it a bit, etc.

It is almost a formula :
    - if I keep doing a painfull activity for 10 minutes, it will last one day;
    - if I keep doing it for 20 minutes, it will last 3 days.
    - 30 minutes equals 1 week with pains and cramps.
    {like a bell curve}

I don't really know if any pains are truly "innocuous". Pain is a message, an alarm, and if it is ignored there are consequences. Maybe not every Fibro person has such lingering pains as I do from activity, but there are also the mental health issues like PTSD from being in pain so much.

So how can we educate our doctors? It is unacceptable for Fibros to be given the message that "your pain doesn't matter". It is even worse to be told that "your pain doesn't matter, just keep working and nothing bad will happen" especially when I did that for 10 years and ended up pretty messed up physically and mentally.

2. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Oh, you are so right about this. Fortunately, I have not had a doctor downplay my pain, but I've read enough on this board to know that you are not alone.

Regarding pain and exercise, I am a lot like you. I made the huge mistake of overdoing it on Saturday. I woke up feeling mentally and physically good - for the first time in a LONG time. So, I'm still paying for it today. I have the similar problem when I walk the dog. The longer I walk her, the more I pay for it. Today, when she was stopping to sniff something, I just bent over and rubbed my thigh and calf. By the time I got home, the only thing I could do to make myself a little more comfortable was to sit and raise my knee up to my shoulder. I know, it doesn't sound comfortable, but it actually helps!

As far as how we can educate our doctors.......who knows? Sometimes I think that people who are having difficulty with their doctors should point them in the direction of this board and read some of the posts. Perhaps then they would believe their patients more. They might like what they read when they see how some people talk about their doctors, but it might just be the kick in the pants that they need!! :)
  3. loto

loto Member

I agree.

And, isn't it correct that it isn't good for our overall health to be in constant pain?
  4. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

Thanks for the replies.

No, it is not good for our overall health when we are in pain all the time. Pain has a job to do, and that job is to protect us from the dangers of living. If pain does not work, or if we were really able to just ignore it, then the pain mechanism just works harder to get our attention.

So the idea of "just keep working, this pain is not real" just doesn't make sense.