Insecticides Make Me Feel Better

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Not all insecticides, just some. Raid ant spray makes me feel sick. Whatever our country uses for spraying mosquitos makes me feel wonderful. I sprayed with some Ortho stuff today around our bldg. for ants and, despite being sick from my gallbladder, I felt better and had more energy. I did some laundry. I wonder what it is in that stuff which helps me feel so much better and I wonder if it's something harmful.

Many chemicals have both harmful and healthy side effects. I'll bet if the big pharmas could figure this one out, they would jump on it in a minute. I don't recommend sniffing insecticide for our illnesses. It's just that I've noticed when I'm exposed to it, I feel so much better.

Love, Mikie
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

That's really interesting. I can't say the same - don't really feel any different, except that I find the odors noxious.

The only time I remember feeling better when most feel worse is when I detoxed high mercury levels with DMSA. I felt great while taking the DMSA, but when finished, went back to feeling the same.

It really would be interesting to find out why... I never thought about insecticides possibly helping anything!

All the best,
    Victoria

3. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

That is really something but if it makes you feel better then I guess...well I guess using those chemicals.

I can't use that kind of stuff and although we have a pest control service come out every three months, I won't let them in the house!

We also have people who take care of our lawn and when they spray their stuff on it I don't go outside for two days afterward.

One of our dogs has green feet right now because of the stuff and my throat is itching. UGH! LOL

Anyway, glad you noticed a good effect of something instead of a bad one!

kate
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're not getting high on the fumes?????

All kidding aside.....perhaps you might send them a letter and tell them this. By the way, wishing you a speedy recovery from your upcoming surgery.
  5. Summit

Summit New Member

Are you getting High? Cause it seems weird you would feel better from an insecticide (they usually affect the nervous system) I would not Breathe that stuff on purpose! Interesting that you've noticed that happening though
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

Are BAD. Everyone of them. If you feel a boost, I would bet the chemical sprayed was an Organophosphate or possibly, a Pyrethrin. Initially, they cause the nervous system to become overstimulated. Like you took a hit of speed. Your body cannot metabolize/detoxify these and will be stored in body tissue, usually fatty tissue around nerve sheath. The stimulant effects can last days or years, depending on length of exposure, but,,,eventually, the organs are taxed and negative feedback loops fail, and neurons die, and central nervous system eventually affected. They are ALL nerve poisons. And most are endocrine dysruptors.

There are 5 Major Classes of Pesticides, and tens of thousands of different chemicals in each class. Those in the Organophosphate Class are BY FAR the MOST DANGEROUS.

I could write volumes on the EVILS of pesticides. Please read my bio.

PLEASE, NOBODY should attempt to duplicate Mikie's reaction to this chemical. She pointed out she NOT NOT recommend anyone sniffing insecticides and I CANNOT say it loud enough.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2006]
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Agree with elliespad. A lot of kids get high sniffing toxic substances....apparently the body puts out endorphins to compensate. This creates a mild heroin effect, which feels good in the short term, but is dangerous in the long term.

On a less deadly level, allergic foods are said to do the same thing. The body shoots out endorphins to compensate for what it sees as "poison" and people get a mild temporary high. Later on especially for people with CFS, the body pays for the effort of shooting out the endorphins by being especially tired of having other side effects.

I know this well, because I used to have a very strong addiction to corn (especially popcorn). I would go to the movies primarily for the popcorn, and then eat a whole large bag all by myself (putting it out of reach of my husband if he "borrowed" too much). I really liked other kinds of corn too.

I never tied my depression to the corn, since sometimes it didn't occur until a number of hours later. After I found out I was allergic, I stopped eating it entirely. Now I can't even go to the movies without getting mildly sick from the popcorn fumes.

(As a side note.....if you find yourself really craving particular food on a regular basis, suspect an allergy. Try not eating it for a week or two and see if you feel better or worse.)

Of course, with allergies, the effects are temporary. The endorphin production put stress on my body, but corn isn't _really_ poison and doesn't accumulate in the body.

On the other hand,, insecticides will stay with you for the rest of your life. Especially since toxicity (perhaps especially fibro but maybe CFS too) is linked to harmful chemicals, it seems especially important that we stay as far away from as possible.

This toxicity applies to everyone, of course. But especially to us.
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I'm like the others who think you might be getting high. Something in that stuff is responsible. Wonder what it is, and if it might be harming you. Take care. Marie
  9. darude

darude New Member

Being more sensitive to chemicals as most of us are you are probably getting HIGH!!!! What happens when you come down from it???? Not a good idea please be careful. My husband sprayed for spiders and I felt better but next day felt terrible.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been high and this is not a high I'm getting. It's an absence of symptoms, like when I've been in remission.

I don't expose myself to pesticides except when I have to use them and I use precautions. Still, when there is spraying going on, it does expose everyone in its path, at least, until it dries. I will not use them, except the Terro Ant Traps, inside.

The county sprays without notice and one only knows about it if one sees the spraying or one smells it. What our county uses for the mosquitos has been banned everywhere else. Thousands of us are exposed every year. Our gardeners use them on a regular basis without notice to us.

Please believe me, I'm not advocating pesticides nor suggest anyone try them for treating illness. I am only posting about my reaction to them. Thanks for all your informed responses; I appreciate them.

Love, Mikie
  11. darude

darude New Member

Ya sure is strange what makes us feel better. Maybe a "hair of the dog". The thing that made us sick in the first place?
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

There are other ways to get your body to make endorphins other than by inhaling bug spray, by the way. Probably you're too tired to exercise, but satisfactory "intimate activity" (if not too strenuous) seems like it would be a better choice.....
  13. tlayne

tlayne Member

Oooooh, Please be careful with this. I wonder if it could be your fight or flight adrenalin kicking in? ....just a thought. It can't be good for you. Most likely, some of our meds already have it in them. Hugs, Tam
  14. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

A few weeks ago, somebody posted about how they felt symptom free for a short time just before they got a cold or when they have it. I can say that once when I got a cold, although I suffered from the symptoms of that, my CFS symptoms almost disapeared for the length of time the cold was around. There was a discussion about how perhaps our immune systems are "distracted" by a cold for a bit, and then resume attacking our bodies once the cold is gone. After all, most of us have autoimmune problems don't we?

I wonder if your immune system is being "distracted" by whatever is in the spray for a while...? What do you think? Marie
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It could well be that a body which is overreacting to everything suddenly has to focus on one toxin and that makes everything feel better. Kind of like the guy who was hitting his head on the wall because it felt so good when he quit :) I used to run and have had a runners high from endorphins. This isn't what I'm having either. It's simply a short remission from all symptoms. In other words, I feel like a normal, healthy, energetic person but not high nor euphoric. I don't feel manic either.

I do worry about our gardeners down here. They use noisy leaf blowers with no ear plugs and spray pesticides hour after hour with no protection of any kind. They are probably illegals hired by the landscaping company. I doubt that they know anything about OSHA compliance. All they are worried about is having a job.

Thanks for your interest, info, and making me laugh. Please know that I am in no way exposing myself to this stuff except for what it is intended and then, only twice a year, except for the county spraying which I cannot control. We are voting for a new Commissioner of Mosquito Control so maybe I'll write to him to see if we can use a safer spray. On the other hand, mosquitos carry disease, including the West Nile virus, so I guess it's the lesser of the two evils.

Love, Mikie
  16. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Considering how weird these dd's are, I am not surprised that you could have a reaction, even a good one, from the Spraying they do.

When I was in Idaho, they had some Airplanes that would fly low over the Crop fields, I would have to stay inside, during thoes day's.
    The stuff gagged me,

Hope you continue to feel better,
    hugs'
    sharonk