Insomnia and muscle pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GBHope, Dec 21, 2005.

1. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Anyone have spells of insomnia and muscle pain? This is horrible, not to mention I am coming of a spell of thyroiditis.

GBHope
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

I'm not sure which direction you want to take this. Muscle pain causing your insomnia ... too painful to sleep or you are experiencing muscle pain because of your insomnia?

Both can happen to us. The pain ..... If we don't sleep we don't reach deep wave sleep --- the healing sleep, stages 3 and 4. Growth Hormone is produced during this sleep stage. It's function is to repair the day's micro-tears in the soft tissue, ie muscles, tendons and ligaments.

GH will also produce new muscle cells to replace old ones. No GH, no new cell growth, no tissue repair. This contributes to our muscle pain.

If you are already in pain and not controlling it yet then insomnia is a very real result. Have you had a sleep study done? That could possible help your doc to rx the correct sleep medication for you. Are you on a pain med protocol or are you taking only as needed? You might want to start a dosing schedule .... This might help to break the pain cycle.

Good luck to you on this. This is one of the hallmark problems in CFS/FMS ... many fight the same battle so at least you are not alone in your struggle.

Elsa
  3. GBHope

GBHope New Member

We have talked about it before, but never done one. Maybe I can have one done when I come out of this flare, if I ever come out of this flare. Go back to the endo in February. We'll go from there.

GBHope
  4. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Yes, I have more pain the more tired I am a lot of the time. As soon as I start getting physically active, I start having pain in the shoulders. Makes it very hard to even attempt folding laundry.
  5. Musica

Musica New Member

Insomnia causing pain or pain causing insomnia... Getting less sleep and/or being more tired definitely make me hurt more. Do you have any sleep aids? Hopefully if you can get to sleep, you will stay asleep and not wake in pain.