insomnia and other sleeping issues question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mischuv, May 31, 2006.

1. mischuv

mischuv New Member

just wondering if anyone has any non medication remedies for insomnia? Also any ideas that might have helped you with waking alot during the night?

For the past 2 weeks except for last night I have woken at leat 6-7 times a night EVERY night with no apparent reason. As I'm sure many of you already know it makes it so hard to function the next day!!! I am currently a stay at home mum to a 3 year old while I study by distance ed so at least I don't have to cope with working as well but I have to return to work sometime in the next 3 months so want to sort it out.

I really don't want to use medication if I don't have to. Also almost every one of those nights plus last night it has taken me 2-3 hours to get to sleep regardless of how tired I am, if I have a warm bath or hot chocolate before bed, the time I go to bed etc.

Sorry to dribble on lol :) I was going to look at some of the relaxtion teas etc the next time I go to the supermarket but do you find they help at all.
    Thanks Sally
  2. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

500 mg at night is helping some. Not a total cure, but I am getting longer stretches of sleep now, up to about six hours or so. Still do not feel refreshed, but that may be slightly improved also.

I've heard this should ideally be taken with calcium. I get lots of calcium in my diet.[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Another idea...there is some music out there that helps with sleep. A couple that I like are Steven Halpern and Liquid Mind. They are found in the New Age section of the CD racks. I put on a CD and set it to repeat. It plays all night and seems to really help my sleep.

Not only do I fall asleep faster, but the sleep seems better too.

God Bless.
  4. mischuv

mischuv New Member

everyone for your ideas I 'll have to have a look into them and see if any work for me. I had yet another bad night last night so I'm really starting to feel the effects of not enough sleep now.... Thanks again
  5. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I take 5-htp and also 300mg Magnesium, plus Valerian mix. Only just started the 5-htp so I cannot really comment on it's effectiveness yet. But I only took 5mg (1/2 tablet) of Amitryptaline last night and I got about 7 hours and no burning pain which I take the Amatryptaline for, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Sue
  6. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

is Valerian Root, Melatonin, Tylenol PM and Calme's Forte.

Most people don't know that there have been studies done over a period of 4 years with women taking 75mg of Melatonin with no negative side effects. I take 30mg a night. Also take it earlier in the evening as it resets your internal sleep clock.

I also take 5-10 Valerian Root capsules. I started out at 3 and built up to this over the last 2 years.

The Calme's Forte you can get at WalMart but they have more tablets to a bottle at GNC and it ends up being cheaper. I have also found it at Vitacost. I take 2 a night.

I also take 2 night time tylenol, generic from KMART cause I can get 300 tablets for 7.99.

I must tell you that I am a chronic insomniac. If I don't take these supplements then I don't sleep more than 2-3 hours a night no matter how long I go without sleep. I have also tried every prescription sleep med out there before Lunesta with no success. This really works for me.

I hope you get some zzzzz's soon.
  7. mischuv

mischuv New Member

so I was planning on looking into it tommorrow but I'll also see about the other things mentioned (if there available here in australia) and see what I can come up with. Thanks heaps... I'm just about to go to bed so fingers crossed I get a decent sleep tonight...
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

A couple of things came to mind when I read your post

First of all, I would skip the hot chocolate....Chocolate has caffeine in it. Try a warm mug of milk b4 bed

Also, when I take a bath or shower at night, it tends to rejuvenate me, so you might want to switch that to morning

I take a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc tablet at bedtime. It is all in one tablet, and I think it is Nature's Way or Nature Made brand. I get it at Eckerd Drug

Good luck. I have struggled with insomnia for 6 years. It is getting a little better, knock on wood