Insomnia: Is this Normal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nice2meetu, Apr 4, 2006.

1. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I know that insomnia is a common symptom for FMS and of course relentless fatigue. But is it common to be dead double dog tired but unable to fall asleep? Then when I do crash I rewaken about 15 minutes later. I am so freaken exhausted. I have tried warm baths, no caffeine, tyenol, etc. I am on 5 mgs of Celexa (which I find useless right now) and I do not drink alcohol, maybe I should? Should I try a night-cap? Should I go to Dr. and request help for this?
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I find that when I get 'over-exhausted', I am unable to get to sleep. I think it is that once you get into forcing yourself to stay awake even though you are exhausted, it is difficult to then let go and fall asleep. You sort of get 'stuck' awake.

I would not use alcohol. It produces poor quality sleep.

Do you have the possibility of taking naps during the days so that you are not so exhausted at night?

I don't know how much the average doctor knows about sleep, but there would be no harm (other than to your wallet) in asking.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Insomnia is a common symptom of FM/CFS. A great many of us need to take medication to help us sleep. In my opinion, you should go to your Doctor and get some help. You might need to have a sleep study done but that can only help you.
    Getting adequate sleep can in many cases, improve your other symptoms.

Kathy.
  4. skierchik

skierchik New Member

More than likely your adrenal glands are producing too much cortisol and it is affecting your ability to sleep.

I suggest cutting out all caffein as this makes the problem worse. Do some research on adrenal fatigue. Perhaps find a doc who administers the Adrenal Stress Test.

There are alot of supplements that you can try. I like Gaia Herbs. They make a Kava supplements that's a great calming herb. Take it throughout the day but only according to the directions. I also drink a calming "bedtime" tea before bed. I also take Source Naturals, "Gaba Calm". It's a losenge that you keep under your tongue until dissolved. I take two sometimes at bedtime. Tonight will be one of those nights (stressful day). Another suggestion is Immunopro powder before bed with tart Cherry Juice, not the "sweet" type. Tart cherry juice produces melatonin and the whey protein from the Immunopro will help induce sleep. The supplement, Magnesium, is also very helpful and great for FM pain too. A must for all CFS/FM er's.

My feeling is that you will need to try several of these things at the same time to get some good rest. Think about some support for your adrenals too.

Hope you get some rest soon!!

skierchik