insomnia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by camry, Oct 2, 2002.

1. camry

camry New Member

For the past 2 weeks, I've had a real problem with insomnia. I was wondering if anyone out there has had these symptoms. As soon as I fall asleep, I get a burst of wakefulness--as if someone or something has scared me awake. Then I fall back asleep again and I get startled awake again. This happens over and over and I'm unable to fall asleep without taking a sleep aid. I know people with fibro have problems sleeping, but i'm wondering if anyone out there has had these symptoms. It's really getting to me.
  2. camry

camry New Member

For the past 2 weeks, I've had a real problem with insomnia. I was wondering if anyone out there has had these symptoms. As soon as I fall asleep, I get a burst of wakefulness--as if someone or something has scared me awake. Then I fall back asleep again and I get startled awake again. This happens over and over and I'm unable to fall asleep without taking a sleep aid. I know people with fibro have problems sleeping, but i'm wondering if anyone out there has had these symptoms. It's really getting to me.
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Insomnia has always been my topmost complaint with this illness. When I first got sick, I couldn't sleep at all. It was the worst thing I ever went through. If I fell asleep for a minute, I would snap awake. Over time, it got better, I would be able to sleep an hour, then it worked up to four hours, then finally a full six. But it took years for me to get to that point. I've started to get the insomnia back since starting on thyroid medication. I'm on a low dose, so I'm hoping once my body gets used to it, I'll be able to sleep again. I take benadryl to sleep. My doctor gave me aterax for the insomnia but it was too strong. Like the entire next day I had a heavy tired feeling where I couldn't function at all. Insomnia really sux. I wish I had some profound, comforting words to say to you to make you feel better, but all I can tell you is, it doesn't last forever :)

Teabisqit
  4. motg

motg New Member

The same thing happens to me. I also take benadryl it helps a lot.
    Barb
  5. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

Good morning! Sleep...whats that? Its 4:17am here and im wide awake. I have the same problem and a few more. I have been given a couple of different things to help me sleep, but i feel so drugged the next day. Because of a heart problem i can not take a lot of things. I just deal with it. It really stinks. I hope you find some relief from this soon. Maybe at least one of us will be sleeping. queenbee69
  6. pamela

pamela New Member

Just like you described it. You have a hard time falling asleep, THEN...when you do all of a sudden it's like your brain or something startles you right out of your body!! That BURST!!! I have to take valerian root, ZMA (get it here at the shop on-line) and benydryl 75 mg.s a night. It's the only thing I can take because I also have multiple chemicle sensitivity. If you don't have the chemical sensitivity like me try to go to your doc. and see about ambien or some type of sleep aid. That worked on me til I got headaches from the lactose in it. Anyway, i'm glad you wrote your post, I could not figure out what in the heck was wrong either..you are not alone!!! It's got to be the FIBRO.. did yours just start all of a sudden? Pamela
  7. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Yes, I get that too.
    For me it's more like JUMPING in my sleep like when you feel you're about to fall off a cliff!
    Don't know what to do for it, tho.
    Some people mentioned Benadryl. Maybe I'll try that too.
    The only thing I've been taking to fall asleep is about 600 mg. of Ibuprofen. This relaxes me enough to fall asleep.
    Doesn't seem to stop the jumping tho......

LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  8. chrissy

chrissy New Member

I have that too, I think that if we are on this board, chances are we have it !!! I feel a lot better though since i started taking melatonin, MSM, L5HTP (tryptophan) and DLPA (DL phenylalanine) which is a natural endorphin booster which can be used with any med. Good luck! Chris
  9. JP

JP New Member

Hello Camry,

I had a similar type of insomnia for a few years. I would sleep about 90 minutes and then wake up quite suddenly for the rest of the night. If I were lucky, I would get another 90 minute round before my day actually began. It took me awhile to ask for help. The one thing that has helped me is Elavil, which is not a favorite here. I try to skip nights and I suffer with insomnia as a result. It was given to me for nerve pain. We concluded that the sudden wakefulness was due to my pain condition in my back. I wish I had more to say or a better approach. I tried about 6 medications before I found one that has stopped the pattern of wakefulness.

Take care,
    Jan
  10. Myth

Myth New Member

Hello,
    I have that as well. I assumed it was due to the fact the people with FMS have disruptive stage four sleep patterns- that is one you enter that stage four sleep you are bumped to stage one or into fill wakefull-ness. (as am I.) But when I am stessed sometimes I wake suddenly, as if from a dream- that is more abrupt than my usual waking up during the night. I usually only can stay asleep for an hour, before I wake up again anway..
  11. jetmek

jetmek New Member

i also have this problem so the Dr gave me a pemanant perscription for Ambien and it knocks me out but you do need to devote at least 8 hrs to sleep or youll be dragging hiney big time next day . Good luck and i hope you get better.

[ advertisement ]