insomniac again...and I'm on trazodone and clonazepam

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goaska29, Jun 3, 2006.

1. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

I'm convinced that my brain refuses to rest. No matter how drugged up, still no sleep. It's currently almost 4am here in Washington, DC...might as well stay up for the Sunday Post to be delivered.

I've tried Melatonin, Valerian, Cal-Mag-Zinc, Ambien, Lunesta, clonazepam, xanax, and trazodone (not all at once). I even drink Stormy's shake every morning.

Any suggestions?

I'm starting a job soon and I can't keep up this crazy sleep schedule.
  2. yourtroubl

yourtroubl New Member

If you figure it out let me know
  3. apl

apl New Member

hello from Ohio.
    I am also still up, despite multiple attempts. Skipping the occasional 1/2 Flexeril since it lost its effect a few days ago, and now it seems the Tylenol PM has lost effectiveness as well. My pain is so bad tonight I broke down crying again - the lack of sleep over the last two+ weeks, and the accompanying sickness, well, you know, it just gets to be too much. Catch-22 all over again...

I wish I knew what to tell you. I worked out today (25 minutes on an elliptical), hoping it would help me sleep well tonight, and I think it was a mistake. Whole body is rebelling, most likely because I hadn't been feeling well from lack of sleep the night before. Everything is so dependent on good sleep.

I hope you're (both) asleep by now.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I've actually been awake since 2 AM PDT...it's now almost 5. Sigh.

Sometime I sleep, sometimes I don't. Tonight I didn't...about 4 hours. At least I got some. Going back to bed...it's hot and muggy here and raining. Sheesh. It will never be spring, and looks like summer is just a glimmer of hope. Not very bright.

Do you ever start mulling over all the mistakes you've made in your life...? Things you didn't know were wrong then but now do? Regret? That got me tonight and even talking to God, etc. has me awake. I can't change the past, I know. So why do I still agonize over some things?

I'll be 59 soon...clinical depression for 9 years now, FM, etc. Wonderful husband, great kids, good life. Yet, I feel so useless and like my life has been so wasted.

Ah, enough. Ramblings of a sleep-deprived woman in the middle of the night. I hope all of you are asleep and that this may never be read.

Sweet dreams.

Sue
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

Sometimes the clonazepam kept me up at night

Are you stressed out?

When I am stressed, I cannot sleep
  6. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I stopped taking zoloft and sleep better.

plus I got a snore guard from my dentist for obstructive sleep apena. works great so far.

some antidepressants cause you NOT to sleep at night.

7. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Goaska,
    I just started taking Lyrica and Zanaflex 2 nights ago. I had the best sleep I've had in forever! The Lyrica is for nerve pain and the Zanaflex is a muscle relaxer. It seems to be working for me, I'll let you know if it continues to help! I hope you get some sleep soon, been there, done that and it's AWFUL!
    Sweet Dreams, Julie ( Earthdog )
  8. apl

apl New Member

hmm, -ouch- I wonder if the vicodin (had 2 halves yesterday) was one of the culprits this time. Tylenol PM and Flexeril seem to randomly have an oppposite effect on me than intended as well. Melatonin always makes me feel jittery like I've had a pot of coffee.

Finally got to sleep around 6 AM this morning, got up at 10:45AM. In SOOO much pain today, all I can do is cry every hour or so. It's definitely a compounding issue -the less sleep, the more stress your mind and body are in and the more pain you have, making it difficult to get to sleep. Then there are the drugs and side-effects. Happy happy! joy joy!

I hope you all got more sleep than I did.

Just as an aside, do any of you get surges of what seems to be adrenaline -a rush/electric surge feeling from the pit of your stomach and an actual sensation in your brain and through your nerves that has an instantaneous pain response and tightening of some muscles? AM I the only one that gets this?

I'm wondering if this isn't the faulty pain receptor issue, which is making it near impossible to fall and stay asleep.

9. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Well I don't wanna jinx myself, but pain isn't a big factor in my sleeping problems. I've been lucky to have minimal pain (with the exception of headaches). Mine is purely my mind refusing to shut off.

It's bizarre but a lot of times when I'm laying in bed and I can't sleep, I translate things to other languages I've learned or do complicated math. All in my head. My mind is fighting the need to rest but going into overdrive and putting itself to the test.

Seems so silly. I've just started Adderall, so maybe that will wear out my brain enough during the day, so that it can rest at night ;)

-GoAskAlice
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

As a fellow insomniac, I can relate. If I overdo, I get a "wired" feeling at night, and no amount of Clonazepam or Trazadone can keep me asleep.

One thing that has helped me, though, is Seriphos (phosphorylated serine). A saliva test found that my cortisol output from my adrenal glands tends to be higher in the evening. This could account for the "wired" feeling and inability to sleep without a sledghammer to the head. The Seriphos evidently helps to reduce cortisol output. But you should probably talk to your doctor about doing an Adrenal Stress Index/Saliva test first before you try Seriphos.

You can buy Seriphos online at Amazon or a lot of other sites. I usually take about two or three before bed.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]

[ advertisement ]