Insulin Resistance Higher in FMS'ers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just read this article in the FMS newsletter from ProHealth. Perhaps this is why Dr. St. Amand recommends a low-carb diet as part of the Guaifenesin Protocol.

Love, Mikie

Metabolic syndrome in women with chronic pain [Fibromyalgia]
    by BL Loevinger, et al
    ImmuneSupport.com

12-20-2006

[Note: “Metabolic syndrome,” also known as “insulin resistance syndrome,” is a set of risk factors related to risk of type 2 diabetes and diseases related to plaque buildup in artery walls.]
    Journal: Metabolism. 2007 Jan;56(1):87-93.

Authors and affiliation: Loevinger BL, Muller D, Alonso C, Coe CL. Center for Women's Health Research, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.

PMID: 17161230

Fibromyalgia is a prevalent syndrome characterized by chronic pain, fatigue, and insomnia. Patients with Fibromyalgia commonly have an elevated body mass index and are physically inactive, 2 major risk factors for metabolic syndrome. Yet little is known about the relationship between chronic pain conditions and metabolic disturbances. Our study evaluated the risk for, and neuroendocrine correlates of, metabolic syndrome in this patient population.

Women with Fibromyalgia (n = 109) were compared with control healthy women (n = 46), all recruited from the community. Metabolic syndrome was identified by using criteria from the Adult Treatment Panel III with glycosylated hemoglobin concentrations substituted for serum glucose.

Catecholamine and cortisol levels were determined from 12-hour overnight urine collections.

Women with Fibromyalgia were 5.56 times more likely than healthy controls to have metabolic syndrome (95% confidence interval, 1.25-24.74).

Fibromyalgia was associated with larger waist circumference (P = .04), higher glycosylated hemoglobin (P = .01) and serum triglyceride (P < .001) levels, and higher systolic (P = .003) and diastolic (P = .002) blood pressure. Total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol were also significantly higher in women with fibromyalgia (P = .001 and .02, respectively), although high-density lipoprotein cholesterol was in the reference range. These associations were not accounted for by age or body mass index. Meeting criteria for more metabolic syndrome components was related to higher urinary norepinephrine (NE)/epinephrine and NE/cortisol ratios (P < .001 and P = .009, respectively).

Women with chronic pain from Fibromyalgia are at an increased risk for metabolic syndrome, which may be associated with relatively elevated NE levels in conjunction with relatively reduced epinephrine and cortisol secretion.
  2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Thanks for posting this.

Did you see how they quickly tied the insulin resistance to being overweight and inactive not FM ?

Makes me wonder how many women are being misdiagnosed with FM.

HMMM ... xchocoholic [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Both Dr. Atkins and Suzanne Somers have talked about IR, also known as Syndrome X, being connected to all kinds of different illnesses and conditions. High-carb diets can bring on IR which is a precondition to Type II Diabetes. People with IR often have high cholesterol and blood pressure. As they gain weight, the stress on joints increases and they begin to shy away from exercise. This, in turn, leads to more obesity. It's a vicious cycle. They can eventually get as sick as we are. I had many clients when I was in Medicare Insurance who fit this description. There was no intervention while there was still time. Some of these people were morbidly obese with joints which would no longer support them. They usually ended up in wheelchairs.

Docs who have written forwards in Suzanne Somers' books have talked about how a low-carb diet can stop these problems and reverse them without the dangerous drugs often prescribed to address them. Drugs prescribed for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart problems often carry the risks of strokes and heart attacks.

That people with FMS carry such a high risk of IR, I think Dr. St. Amand is on the right track by having people get off the unhealthy simple carbs. Just eliminating white flour, white rice (except Basmati), and sugar will make a huge difference. I still will have a white potato now and then but I eat them by themselves and not as a side dish. I seldome eat processed foods anymore. I try to eat fresh fruit and veggies as much as possible. I juice now and then but juice is very high in carbs.

Love, Mikie
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Interesting article....I too noticed how quickly they tied those two together.

Have you tried any of Susanne Summer's cookbooks? I'm trying to learn how to eat even better, and more often with my borderline/diabetic dx and my hypoglycemic bouncing blood sugar.

Just learned today that my sister is Insulin Resistant too.

Should I look into one of her books?

And yes, I thought I was eating healthy foods....just not enough I guess.

Happy Holiday Hugs,

Nancy B

PS....Sorry if that didn't make sense, I'm really not feeling well this past week.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do like the Suzanne Somers books. She has some really great recipes. She believes in separating carbs. For instance, if you eat fruit, you eat it by itself. You can combine veggies with fats or carbs but fats and carbs should be separated. Butter, whole milk or cream can be combined with veggies and/or fats but only no-fat dairy should be eaten with carbs like fruit. This means buying no fat yogurt if it's combined with fruit. I like no-fat cottage cheese and fruit.

It takes a little getting used to but you don't go hungry. According to Somers and the docs who work with her, animal fats are not the culprit; it's the carbs. Studies have shown this to be true.

I had to be on a very low-fat diet prior to my gallbladder surgery and afterward for a while. I did lose some weight, but it was often difficult to find low-carb foods which were also low in fats. It was rather bland and unsatisfying. I've noticed now that I can eat normally, I am craving red meat. Right now, however, I have the stomach flu and about the only thing I'm keeping down is water, Diet Coke, and soda crackers. Aack!

Love, Mikie

6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

A stomach flu on top of everything else??? I'm so sorry to hear that!

Just one quick question if you have a moment. I've just been dx with borderline diabetes, but my blood sugar readings are all over the place.

Would her book be good for me too? Hypoglycemic half the time and pre-diabetic the rest?

Hugs,

Nancy B
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think this would be a good thing to discuss with your doc. I'm sorry to hear about this. From what I can gather, as we eat more simple carbs, our bodies release more and more insulin. As this goes on, we become resistant to the insulin and it takes ever more insulin to try to control blood sugar. Diet which does not spike insulin helps to keep blood sugar more steady.

It's a process and what one doc may call prediabetes, another may call insulin resistance. Diet, and exercise if one can tolerate it, can control Type II Diabetes and is the treatment of first choice unless it is so out of control that one needs insulin. Even then, if one is careful with one's diet, the insulin may be discontinued at some point. Of course, this all needs to be under the supervision of the doc. Best of luck to you.

Yes, alas, the string of troubles goes on. As if all this were not enough, something happened to my finger when I was opening the car door and it swelled up like a sausage and hurt like hell. It is still slightly sore but the swelling is starting to come down. This used to happen when I gripped my golf clubs so I think there may be some kind of problem with the joint.

None of this is related to my CFIDS except that the flu may have gotten me because I'm run down from everything else. Still, it may be good news because it may mean my immune system is more normal. When our immune systems are out of whack, we almost never get colds or the flu. I'm trying to see the glass as half-full. This too shall pass. I'm actually feeling better than I did this morning and drank some milk with my ImmunPlex whey and ate a muffin (which isn't the best thing from a carb standpoint but this is an emergency :)

Love, Mikie
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You're right of course, and I will discuss it with my doc just as soon as I get one.

My doc dx me just as he was leaving Germany to go back to Hawaii. Now it's up to me to find a new one and I will.

I also need to go to another base to schedule an appt with an Endo out in town. And I will, just as soon as I can get back out of bed and start feeling a bit better.

When it rains, it pours! At least my doc took care of a few things for us before he left. He was able to write a statement of disability for our daughter, she's getting worse and just about completely off her rocker right now.

He gave a thorough consult with the Endo to include my thyroid problems and now the pre-diabetes and hypoglycemia too. (It's not a good sign to have your blood sugar all over the place like mine is, and could be a sign of something worse)

And as I mentioned on another post, I've run out of my supplements from PH and I'm feeling the difference as we all are here. At least a partial box came last night so I'm hopeful that I'll start feeling better soon.

So with the pre-diabetes dx as he was walking out the door, I'm still trying to learn bits and pieces just to keep my blood sugar on some kind of level, day by day and meal to meal, so I thank you for your help yet again.

Happy Holiday Hugs,

Nancy B
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sending up a prayer. Your plate is full right now and I hope and pray that things get better.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Bump, bump
  11. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thanks so much and right back atcha!

Hugs,

Nancy B