insulin resistant

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by minkanyrose, Sep 11, 2008.

1. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

has anyone else been told that they are insulin resistant. i produce to much insulin and it can't get into my cells from what my doctor tells me.

anyone else have any information on this i would greatly appreciate it thanks all

wishing all a great day
    brenda
  2. hensue

hensue New Member

Ok i am stupid, i am clueless about this. How he determine this?
    What are your symptomszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz/
    Thanks
    hensue
  3. hensue

hensue New Member

tying to drink a coke and type at same time.
    did not want you to think i was being rude
    sorry
    hensue
  4. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

I am insulin resistant as well, I was also diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic. My doc explained it that my body makes insulin and my cells dont accept it and use it, this is also why I am overweight and with the majority of that weight being around my waste and sides, I was put on metformin to help my cells accept the insulin and use it and then I would eventually lose weight as well. I lost 8 pounds in 3 months (I have to remind myself that it is better than gaining).

Metformin did horrible things to my digestive tract. Everytime I would eat I would end up in the bathroom on the toilet and well I am sure you get the picture I now switched to Amaryl.(SP) I think that is the name of it and doing much better.

2 other things. There is a diabetic board on here if you click on message boards at the top it will show you the whole list of boards. I look at it daily as well. And Metformin does not affect everybody that way, my mom and sister take it with out any problems.

Good luck AMY
  5. theycallmeLois

theycallmeLois New Member

My mom went to see an endocrinologist and she looked at me and was like see this on your neck (my neck looks like its dirty), its not dirt its your body showing your insulin resistant. She wants me to have an OGTT (oral glucose Tolerance test). Now that I think of it I am showing signs of diabetes.

So I am in the same boat as you
  6. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Brenda,

I know it is hard with FM/CFS but you have to start doing some walking every day. You don't have to "power walk" but just continuous walking for 30 minutes a day will help your body use the insulin it's making. Your matabolism starts working more too. If you can't do 30 minutes, even 15 minutes will make a difference.

I have type 1 diabetes with an insulin pump. When I am feeling good enough to walk (not enough these days) I really have to watch how much insulin I take. That's because my body isn't resisting the insulin anymore - it's making it work. That's why I need less. (I hope that makes sense.) You don't have to walk, that's what I do. Any cardio, like stationary bike riding or anything else will work too.

Good luck!
  7. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

i guess i need to check out the diabetes board also.

i guess it was inevetable that i get diabetes also with this DD. my dad was diabetic and so was his mom and there were great aunts on my mom's side.

i felt really sluggish after i ate it was like i just wanted to sleep and my stomach was bloated all the time. i got to where i didn't want to eat because i felt better if i didn't eat you know what i mean. and i seemed to get sooooooo much brain fog when i ate carbs and sugars.

that and my biggest problem was no matter what i did i could not lose weight my doc had me keep a journal of eating and he said i should be losing weight with what i ate then he ran more tests and found my triglicerites off the chart.

ok change life eating habbits i can do this. i hope

thank you again for all your help her guys and gals.
    wishing all a great day.

brenda