Insurance FIND OUT what they 'KNOW" about YOU!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Jun 20, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

In case anyone needs this, to find out what medical information has been collected on you, you can write to the

Medical Information Bureau
    P.O B. 105, Essex Station
    Boston, MA 02112

The MIB is a nonprofit membership organization of life insurance companies which operates an informal exchange on behalf of its members.

If you apply for life or health insurance to a member company, or a claim for benefits is submitted, the Bureau, upon request, will supply the company with any information in its file.

If you write to them, they will disclose any information they have on you (which is supplied to insurance companies, etc.) and you may seek a CORRECTION in accordance with the procedure set forth in the Federal Credit Reporting Act.

You might be amazed to find out how much misinformation is out there... I have seen doctors' notes that are completely wrong without my knowing it...

Victoria

PS - I posted this before and thought it might be a good thing to post again. I haven't done this yet myself, but am going to right now!

[This Message was Edited on 06/20/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I was just checking online, and found the following further info about getting your medical info that is on file with them. I guess I cannot check mine since I have not applied for any new insurance in the past 7 years, darn!

Here it is:

Request Your Record
    MIB will provide consumers with record disclosure once annually without charge! To obtain free disclosure, you must call MIB’s toll-free phone number listed below.

A few things to bear in mind before you call -

If you have not applied for individually underwritten life, health, or disability insurance during the preceding seven year period, MIB will not have a record on you.

We will ask you for personal identification information to assist us in locating a record, if one exists. We may validate the identification information that you provided with other consumer reporting agencies.

You will be asked to certify under penalty of perjury that the information you provided about yourself to request MIB disclosure is accurate, complete and you represent that you are the person that is requesting disclosure.

MIB’s toll-free number for disclosure is 866-692-6901
    (TTY 866-346-3642 for hearing impaired)

Upon receipt of your (a) request for a Record Search and Disclosure, and (b) proper identification, MIB will initiate the disclosure process and provide you with:

*the nature and substance of information, if any, that MIB may have in its files pertaining to you;

*the name(s) of the MIB member companies, if any, that reported information to MIB; and,

* the name(s) of the MIB member companies, if any, that received a copy of your MIB record during the twelve (12) month period preceding your request for disclosure.

MIB is committed to the philosophy that every consumer should be entitled to know the contents of his or her record maintained by MIB and has the right to correct any inaccurate or incomplete information in the record.

Hope this is of help to someone!

Victoria

3. victoria

victoria New Member

this up too!

V