Insurance HECK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nightaura, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Nightaura

Nightaura New Member

I had to switch insurance companies as my husband's work switched companies. I have been on Cymbalta for 2 years and they rejected my most recent script. I took my last pill today, yet the insurance says it has up to 30 days to rule on the appeal and they still might say no! To pay out of pocket is almost $500. I was freaking out. I was able to get a 30 pill supply for free through Cymbalta's website for the next 30 days, but what about after that? I tried going off once and was sick for a week. Should I try tapering just in case? I am so stressed and we all know how stress makes fibro worse.
  2. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I had the same problem and here's what I did to wean myself off Cymbalta (if that's what you need to do). Have your doctor prescribe a two week supply of Prozac. You should be able to get a generic pretty cheap. What you do is to take the Cymbalta and the Prozac TOGETHER for a week. Then take the Prozac for a week. Then stop altogether. You won't have any side effects. I did this about two years ago and have not taken an anti-depressant since. Be sure and ask your doctor first! I had been going to a D.O. who told me about this. It worked well for me and hopefully, will work for you too, but again, check with your own doctor first.

Soft hugs,
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. Are you taking the Cymbalta for depression or
    Fibro; both? Anyhoo I took Effexor for depression. Cost over $400 per
    bottle. Now I take citalopram which costs $7 (with Medicare). Works
    just fine.

Good luck.
  4. Nightaura

Nightaura New Member

Thanks. I am more relaxed about it at the moment. I doubt I will qualify for any other assistance, but I will look into that. Thanks.