Intellectual Stimulation aka Brain teasers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jun 6, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Couple ah puzzles to go w/ your morning coffee. Or afternoon martini. Or evening Sanka.

Bus leaves the station empty and picks up 20 passengers. At the next stop 8 passengers get on. Next stop three get off and two get on.

Next stop 10 get off and 14 get on. Nest stop nobody gets off and two get on. The question is:

How many times did the bus stop?

And here's another w/ a bus theme: You are driving a brand new city bus. When you start your shift there are 22 passengers on the bus. At the first stop 6 more get on.

At the next stop 4 get off and 4 get on. Next stop 3 more get on.

The question is: What color are the bus driver's eyes?

Bonus question: What is the difference between a new bus and a brand new bus?

2. sisland

sisland New Member

#1 is 5,,,,,,,#2 is,,My eyes are Blue! Due to the Fact that i'm driving the Bus! lolol and #3 (I think) is the New bus is owned and operated by the city and i'm an Employee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Brand New Bus is owned and operated by me,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2007]
  3. rockgor

or Write w/ Eversharp! (The first automatic pencil.)

Very good, Sis.

The bonus question isn't really a riddle. It's just something to think about. Philosophy or semantics, either way.

That first bus question has been around for a long time. Heard it when I was a kid. The second one I just found on the internet.

Hope everydobby is having a good day.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

My answer to #1 is at least five. Probably more, because rare would be the bus route that had no traffic lights or stop signs.

My answer to #2 is brown. Now if David Bowie were reading the question, what would the answer be?

Bonus question: There is no difference. "Brand" is merely a modifier. I found out that the earliest citation of "brand new" is in John Foxe's Sermons, 1570: "New bodies, new minds and all thinges new, brande-newe" (wouldn't that be nice for those of us with ME/CFS or Fibro!) So the etymology doesn't come from advertising originally. The word just adds emphasis, like "really hot" or "quite right."

"Brand new" could also be classified as a kind of pleonasm, a redundant phrase. Others include "awkward predicament," "natural instinct," and "unexpected surprise."

Now how about brand, SPANKING new?

Thanks for the puzzles, Rock.

5. rockgor

You are right as always. But what if, while driving the bus, you were singing, "Don't it make my brown eyes blue"?

Brand new and new are both ambiguous as in "This is my new car". Might be several months old, but it's new in the sense it was bought this year.

Might also be several years old, but new to the recent buyer.

Aren't words just fascinatin'?

What do you mean "brown"? Don't you have Norskie blue eyes? I do. Very pale. Gordon says that's cause I'm so old.

Re: David Bowie I know nothing except it will be ironic if he is someday injurred w/ a Bowie knife.

6. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for Enlightening me with all thoes new variations of words!,, Ya know they have thoes contacts now days that can make your eyes become any color you want!,,,,Pretty cool huh!,,,,,,,,

Some kids showed up on Halloween with thoes Creepy lookin scarey eyes due to thoes new Contacts!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lolol! Thanks for the riddles and new words!,,,,sis
  7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Rock,

Here's my educated guess to your brain teaser. I don't know how you come up with these!

#1 Like KH, I agree that there's at least 5 stops, and then of course it depends on how many stop lights and traffic lights it takes zee bus to get to school. Of course the bus will stop right in front of the building, so that's 6 right there.

#2 The color of the bus drivers' eyes are the color he or she was born with plus a lot of red from getting up so darn early. I remember standing out there at 7am, meaning that the bus driver has to clock in mighty early to get the bus and start the route!

And on to the bonus question. "The difference between a new bus and a brand new bus." Having been a substitute teacher, I thought about this for a few minutes and came up with the following: A new bus has been "driven" and a brand new one hasn't been earmarked for a specific route yet and has not been driven at all. This distinction greatly affects the interior appearance and pungency of said bus.

The kiddos have used the bus as their personal garbage can despite best attempts of the bus driver not to use it is such. Although it's probably cleaned daily, there are most certainly traces of paper, gum and food particles left behind. It only takes a day or two to break it in. A new bus is still pristine. As Regis would say, "That's my final answer", or in this case "guess".

Fun one, Rock!

8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Actually question one could have multiple answers. It doesn't say that the 22 people were all at one stop. Maybe the driver stopped at 22 different stops or less to pick them all up!

My driver's eyes are blue! Black and blue if you want to get technical!

Choose joy!
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I like these alternative answers.

Rock: David Bowie has two different colored eyes. He was born with blue eyes but as a teenager, he got in a fight over a girl which resulted in a blow to the eye that left his left eye paralyzed. The eye remained permanently dilated, leaving it hazel, grey, or brown, depending on the ambient light.

Alas, though I grew up in Minnesota, I don't have the Scandinavian blue eyes. My brown eyes probably come from Irish or French stock.
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My friends and family often look for any attempt to use puns and play on words, however a stretch it may be. That said, sometimes we've been known to use "Sanka" in place of "thank ya" in a goofy accent. (Aren't you glad you haven't met me in person?)

11. rockgor

Class, you've all done very well. Next week we will tour the dairy. How I do I come up w/ these, asks Erika.

The first one is old, heard it in jr high. The second one I found on the net while looking for something else. (I got it wrong too.)

Is there such a word as pleonasm, Ken? Looks like a science term. The tyrannosaurus ate the pleonasm.

I mentioned in a previous life, I mean a previous post that I was reading a book of funny memos from the tv business. Here is a memo to the script writers:

"We find this script excessively long and redundant. Why say the same thing over and over again. Repetition does a disservice to the effectiveness of the script. Less is always more."

I thought of something I do know about David Bowie. There is a poster of him at the library. He is kneeling, holding a book in an outsretched hand and is barefoot. This is supposed to encourage kids to read, I guess. More likely to encourage them to go barefoot.

Ken, I don't think we are allowed to discusss spanking on the board.

Greenbean, you get an A for reading carefully. Question could be clearer regarding the 22 people. That's the mind set you need when you take the bar exam. E.g., "Although the witness said the door was open, he may have meant it was closed but unlocked."

Speaking of pungency of the bus, Erika, I once had a Workers' Compensation claim w/ a bus driver who said the fumes for the plastic seat covers made her ill.

So as you see, this was really not so much a quiz as a stimulus to conversation.

Sanka all for chiming in.

12. sisland

sisland New Member

of eyes~~~~ we had a Border collie that had one blue eye and one almost white eye! Maybe the albino in him! lolol!,,,,,,,,,,,Do Germans have Blue Eyes? My Dad always told me that we were half German and half English!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

it'd depend on what the driver's wearing haha...........

blue is what's listed on my driver's license, but before DLs had pics on them, I was nearly turned away from a bar because the bouncer said I had green eyes, not blue. Thankfully I laughed him out of it, cuz my eyes do change depending on color of my blouse!

I've recently had to start wearing glasses/bifocals all the time... the gal at the vision shop almost had me talked into cat's eye contac lenses hahaha just for fun... always thought they were cool...

Anyway, good questions.... stirred my brain, now I might not be able to sleep!

(as my german ancestors might've said phonetically...)

(yep I know it's misspelled but couldn't resist!)

14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i don't have any energy to play w/you all today...