Intense migranes? Sometimes seen in fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JohnBee, Jan 15, 2006.

1. JohnBee

JohnBee New Member

I am a 56 year old FMS sufferer, but this post is about a 29 year old female neighbor who has suffered FMS for five years. For the past 3 weeks she has had non-stop, debilitating migraine headaches; her hmo cannot seem to help her. I have tried to help with "advice" on what has helped me with sleep and pain (LYRICA, LDN, yoga,etc), but her headaches forge on. Are migraines this bad sometimes seen in FMS, and what have YOU done about it? Thank you for any advice you may have.
  2. maripat

maripat New Member

It seems most if not all of us here have a propenstity towards getting them.
    Advice: Find a new HMO. There are new Rx you (she) can take at the onset. You can also get an injectable Rx.
    At home advice: large heating pad to wrap around head, total quite, no lights, and caffiene (sodas).
    good luck,
    maripat
  3. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

my illness began with an epic cycle of migraines and lexapro wiped them out completely. for me, it was totally a serotonin thing. is she depressed? have a history of depression in her family?? migraines occur for different reasons in different people. food allergies, chemical imbalance, muscle tension. there's no magic bullet. since i've been off lexapro, i occassionally get a migraine which i tend to immediately by lying down in the dark with a cold sinus mask over my eyes. she has my sympathy. nothing can run interference on your life like chronic migraines.

eddie
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

My illness started as long migraine and tension headaches that would cycle from weeks to months at a time. I would then have a short time in between (maybe a day or two) and the next one would start. I still have daily headaches but the severity isn't close to what it was a few years ago and they aren't constantly unbearable, I can get most of my headaches under control within 24 hours.

I honestly tried over 50 medications just for headaches in the first year I had them. I also was admitted to the hospital after the first cycle lasted over 7 weeks. They did MRIs, MRAs, CTscans, spinal taps and other tests to rule out everything. However even in the hospital with all of the meds they couldn't get them under control. It just took time for them to decrease in intesity (about 5 years) and I don't know what the magic bullet was. After trying so many meds I realized the best for me was Fiorinal with Codeine and Toradol and that is what I take now and most of the time it works.

My advice would to have her Dr have all the necessary tests run to rule out aneurysm, tumors and other possible causes for her headaches and if she's already done that to try every possible treatment available. From prevention meds, to pain meds, to AntiDepressants, tranquilizer/muscles relaxers, the triptans, and any other meds her Dr will try.
    She may need to go to a Pain Dr or neurologist to get several different types of treatment options if her regular Dr can't help.
    It is also possible that some of her headaches are due to the "rebound" effect which is brought on by certain pain relievers. Sometimes you have to first go off all meds to find out if that is a contributing factor, its torture but in some cases, its the cause. It wasn't in my case, mine were eventually classified as Migraine, tension and severe headache disorder.

I will pray for your friend to find the relief and cause.

Sincerely
    JL
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Topamax is preventative, and Imitrex will take care of an attack if she gets one. I had migraines since I was 3. I get more of them during pressure, and when I have an RA flare, about 16-18/month. W Topamax I get 1-3/month. The Imitrex handles that. It is good to take care of migraines since they CAn trigger strokes, especially if she have high BP. Taking care of BP can also help. BP meds in combination w/ diuredics is a good combination to try. Find a new doc!
  6. darude

darude New Member

Mine started with a massive headache on the left side. Unbearable and it lasted solidly for three months. Nobody knew why. 3 trips to ER!!! subsided after three months with the occasional one and stopped completely after six months. I was left with 40 brain lesions and have a pituitary tumour.
  7. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I have CFS and suffer from chronic migraine. Midrin (prescription) helps sometimes, but lately the pain in my traps, neck and mid-back have come back which make the migraines worse.

I am seeing a chiropractor who has helped up until a couple of weeks ago when the other pains started. Have her see a chiro - they CAN work miracles. I also use Salon Pas patches on any area of my neck, traps, or back that hurt. This sometimes help to "calm" the pain of the migraine. Also ice on the side of my face that has the migraine.

Hope some of this helps her. I EMPATHIZE with her greatly and know the pain she is in.

Jennifer
  8. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

yes, migraines are real for us with fibromyalgia. in fact a doctor told me the reason why is because there are muscles in your head, temples, etc. and they become affected along with the rest of your body too.

i never used to have them. during the past year i'd say i had 5-8 and a few of them put me down for the entire day, one with vomiting included.

as soon as i feel one coming on, i take an Excedrin or two. usually this is effective because i don't wait until it's unbearable. of course quiet, rest, shutting off lights are a part of the healing process for a migraine for me.

as far as them lasting longer than a day or so and with them becoming chronic like a few of these posts go, i say time for new doctors and receive the TLC you deserve!!
  9. lolee

lolee New Member

I've had migraines since I was sixteen . . . . currently on Topomax.

It may sound simple, too simple, but what works for me is 3 Excedrin, just plain Excedrin, not the tension formula, not even the migraine formula just the old original Excedrin.

Then I lay down, do the whole quiet and no lights as they have posted above, but what I do is have an ice pack AND a heating pad. 10 minutes ice, then 10 minutes heat. 10 minutes ice, 10 minutes heat. Usuallu 2-3 round of this knocks it out.

I'm so sorry for your neighbor, when there is NO relief the suffering is horrible.

Prayers out to you both!

Luv,

Lolee
  10. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi JohnBee,

I have FMS and have been suffering for the past few years, trying desperately to get HELP. Recently, I have been experiencing INTENSE, UNBEARABLE,Migraine headaches. I am a chronic sinus sufferer, but never had migraines, until now.

I am trying to get help, too! My GP had me come in today, before he would recommend a neurologist. My ENT had told me last month, I need an evaluation by a neurologist. In the interim, I just have been suffering with my regular FMS pain in my midback, right shoulder, both knees and NOW intensely in my head. I find NOISE extremely annoying.

I am a pre-school teacher. Try telling 4 year olds, shhhh, be quiet. I do try, but they are only FOUR! It is part of what four year olds do.

Wishing your friend and myself some quick answers to this horrible pain.

Good LUCK. Cindy
  11. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

do you have from it??
  12. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I have absolutely no side effects from Topamax, a little drowsy the first couple of days, that's all. I was amazed.
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

I used to suffer from severe, debilitating migraines that caused me to miss a lot of work.

My advice:

* she should first get her hormone levels checked--at her age they may be out of whack, which trigger the headaches depending upon what time of the month it is.

* she should get on a preventative med or two -- I did and it really helped. I was given an antidepressant (Zoloft) and a beta blocker which helps the way the blood flows through the brain and somehow prevents headaches

* eliminate all diet pop and foods that contain artificial sweeteners - especially asperatme.

* eliminate aged cheeses, lunch meats with nitrates in them

* eliminate food with MSG (like some Chinese foods)

* eliminate all wine, beer, and alcholic drinks

* there are a few other foods but I can't think of them right now that are known triggers for migraines

* of course, reduce stress as much as possible.

* when I got a really bad one, I would also take, in addition to whatever migraine pain pill was prescribed, a prescription strength nausea med (can't think of the name now due to my foggy head at 1:30 am, but I think it starts with a P, but maybe not) because it settles your stomach and puts you to sleep for about a day which helps you to get rid of your headache - you just need a babysitter if you have kids. It's Phenergan! Just remembered it!

* I always put ice on the back of my neck, and/or my forehead. Never heat--it seemed like it made my head throb even more.

14. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i have always had severe headaches, i feel so bad for her. if she has a migraine that just won't break after 3 weeks what she could try is to have her dr. prescribe a medrol dose pack. it's a 6 day steroid treatment and it can break the cycle when nothing else will. at times more pain meds will just cause rebound headaches. i'm not sure exactly how medrol works but it has really saved me in the past when i have had a headache the just wouldn't stop and nothing else worked.
    rachel
  15. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

My headaches were severe, but I eventually found out they were mostly caused by compressed disks in my neck.
  16. bigmh

bigmh New Member

johnbee...she needs to go to the ER NOW. I have suffered from migraines for 6 years, and had them almost daily (15-25 days per month). It has taken many doctors and lots of different meds to finally get them down to 1-2/week.

It is a shorter road to find relief for some, but tell her not to give up. It was finally a combination of 2 drugs, nortriptyline and inderal, that has helped me.

She should go to the ER now...they will probably give her a shot of dilaudid (sp?) which will help some anyway. I'm sending up a prayer for her now...it is very nice of you to try to help her. God Bless...B